Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 09:11 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times

Advertisements

The payroll tax "holiday" initiated by the Democrats last year really accelerated the drive down the slippery slope of cutting Social Security benefits.

Thought it was really short sighted and dumb then, and still do today.

However, I now view the cost of living benefit cuts as inevitable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 09:30 AM

14,477 posts, read 20,652,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
The average for the 3rd Q 2008, was 215.495 in raw BLS CPI-W numbers. The latest value for April 2011, is 221.743. Subtract 215.495 from 221.743 and you get 6.248. Divide 6.248 by the lower figure, 215.495, and you get .0289937. This converts to a COLA of 2.90%. If the 221.743 increases through the 2011 3Q average, the COLA will be greater than 2.90%, if it decreases then the COLA will be less than 2.90%. The exact COLA cannot be figured until the September numbers are published mid-October.

The 3Q numbers for 2009 and 2010, never got above the 215.495 figure. That figure is the baseline, because it's the last year COLA was issued. Normally, the 3Q figures increase year over year, but since 2008 they haven't. So 2008 remains the baseline until the 3Q average is above 215.495.
thanks for the math.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:52 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
Default Please explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmarch18 View Post
Please name 1 thing we need everyday that hasn't gone up more than 20% in the last 2 years. The only thing is our big house that we are now trying to sell thanks to the actions of all the folks in Washington D.C. There is NO party fit to vote for. I have always voted Republican, but they have completely lost their mind. I would never vote for a party trying to cut my SS and medicare.
Where do you come up with a 20% inflation figure over the past two years? About the only thing that has increased that much is gasoline, and even gasoline has been slowly easing back down over the past month or so. Of course you might come up with a few food items that are up 20%, but food in general is not up nearly that much.

Would you care to explain exactly what "actions of all the folks in Washington" are causing you to put your house on the market?

While I share your disgust with politicians, I must say your post doesn't make sense. As to Medicare, what is your suggestion for how we as a nation can continue to pay for it? It's easy to complain about "my Medicare", but more difficult to figure out who will pay for it. Everybody wants a free ride, but in the long run there is no such thing.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,391 times
I think there were only the people on SSI who got an increase in 2009 there has been no increase for people on social security and disability since 2006. It has been five years since I have gotten an increase and I am below poverty level; I don't qualify for any financial assistance social security disability is money I paid in taxes and am getting back as a result of an injury seventeen years after beginning my first job.... Thanks to God I can make it with the aide of my sons but what if I didn't have adult children who knows! I can't say that what congress is doing is right or wrong but they should recognize that a lot of us are in dire need and something should be done about it; how can they increase the cost of medical insurances and say there is no increase in the cost of living obviously they know what they are doing is wrong; if they increase our expenses they should also increase our salary.

Old 08-16-2011, 02:36 PM

2 posts, read 2,256 times
If knowone voted for these governmental jerks that increase their own pay and cant get along for anything and they were forces to put half their groceries back in the express line in wegmans they might feel as low on the totem poll as we do. geee thank you government rejects for careing so much about the people that put youz complete and utter morons in your fancy cars huge houses and rediculously huge egos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i can now call myself canadian. oh and by the way if something horibble happens ill remember to point the finger at the flea that bit you. JERKS!!!!!!

Old 08-16-2011, 02:52 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
If they can get a handle on "who is in jail or deceased" and avoid sending them checks, maybe they can afford a small check to the rest of retirees and disabled.
Who's cashing the checks for these folks?

Old 08-16-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO_LONGER_AMERICAN View Post
If knowone voted for these governmental jerks that increase their own pay and cant get along for anything and they were forces to put half their groceries back in the express line in wegmans they might feel as low on the totem poll as we do. geee thank you government rejects for careing so much about the people that put youz complete and utter morons in your fancy cars huge houses and rediculously huge egos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i can now call myself canadian. oh and by the way if something horibble happens ill remember to point the finger at the flea that bit you. JERKS!!!!!!
Gee whiz, I hope you didn't wear out the exclamation point key on your keyboard. I also hope you'll post six months from now and let us know how great things are in Canada - how much of a free ride you are getting there, or perhaps how much better the job market is. Sounds like you are a bit hysterical.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:29 PM

I once heard it said that the only fair tax is the one someone else is paying. Perhaps the companion to that bit of wisdom is that the only worthwhile increase in benefits is the one we would be getting, and the only justifiable person to pay for that increase would be someone else. No wonder Congress is in a gridlocked position.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:08 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Who's cashing the checks for these folks?
Their next of kin, neighbors, caretakers. Very common. News report here recently of man discovered dead in his house because postman reported mail wasn't being collected. Found the man dead in the house and the body of his mother - deceased six years apparently - covered in plastic on the couch. Son was living on her Social Security. A lot of dependents rely on parents' Social Security, so when the parents die, death is not reported. Can get away with this in rural or other areas where you are not well known or don't have nosy neighbors. Overseas I would guess there is virtually no way to check. Neighbors could cash these checks with the cooperation of someone at the bank and no one would be the wiser. Some caretakers have POA. That can go on forever.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:31 AM

1 posts, read 1,199 times
it would be nice to get a raise in 2012,time will tell.we could all use it.i'm on ssi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement