Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 11:14 AM

25,574 posts, read 56,516,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
Other than my rant, here is the lesson I offer. Check your Box 7 to ensure the correct coding of any rollover of an IRA. I never thought to look up the code to see there was a difference between "7" and "G".
- wonky, me. I always check for proper coding on my 1099s. Always. Total nutjob, obviously, but I am paranoid about IRS problems and paying taxes unnecessarily.

I recently had a similar experience when an IRA rollover was questioned by the IRS. I had withdrawn the money and redeposited - not a direct rollover. I sent IRS copies of my original withdrawal records and redeposits and even counted the days in big black letters on the statements so they couldn't miss it. I did receive a similar reply as you, but ignored it. Eventually, I got a final statement from them on a small tax due on another item. They accepted my documentation on the rollover without question. I expect they will do the same for you. Someone just has to look at it. It goes in a stack and they get to it eventually.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 04-22-2011 at 11:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj10 View Post
Who the heck came up with this formula and what were they smoking at the time ?????
Oh, I agree. First time I encountered that worksheet I got a terrible headache. Now I just add 50% of my SS to my income and do the 25-34K@50% and anything over 34K@85% when I'm doing tax planning. Seems to work out OK doing it that way.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:03 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,382,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
- wonky, me. I always check for proper coding on my 1099s. Always. Total nutjob, obviously, but I am paranoid about IRS problems and paying taxes unnecessarily.

I recently had a similar experience when an IRA rollover was questioned by the IRS. I had withdrawn the money and redeposited - not a direct rollover. I sent IRS copies of my original withdrawal records and redeposits and even counted the days in big black letters on the statements so they couldn't miss it. I did receive a similar reply as you, but ignored it. Eventually, I got a final statement from them on a small tax due on another item. They accepted my documentation on the rollover without question. I expect they will do the same for you. Someone just has to look at it. It goes in a stack and they get to it eventually.
I am sending you a "rep" point just for being "wonky". Considering your extreme attention to detail, please make yourself available next year about tax time.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
I am sending you a "rep" point just for being "wonky". Considering your extreme attention to detail, please make yourself available next year about tax time.
Hehe - will do. Thanks.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:34 PM

6,628 posts, read 7,356,741 times
The sad fact is you only made a paper work mistake and I do not think the laws should penalize you. Taxes are just to complicated.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:58 PM

^^No, it was more than paperwork mistake. It was a violation of the withdrawal rules. The same money was withdrawn twice in a 12-month period. The fact that the rule is not known by the taxpayer does not negate the fact that the rule exists. IRAs have been in place for many decades and that particular withdrawal/loan rule has existed for almost as long as IRAs.

Frankly, had it been me, I would have done as someone upthread mentioned - not worry about it until the IRS questions it. There is a very high probability they would never have caught it. If they do, deal with it then. In my case, they did question a 2008 distribution reported on a 1099 because it was a large sum of money. Sent me a notice for $22,000 tax due. My documentation answered their questions. I've been doing withdrawal/loan/rollovers for decades. This is the first time they have ever asked me to prove the money was, in fact, rolled over. For that reason, I think somewhat smaller sums fall between the cracks. So, there is a very good chance this error would have never have been discovered.

Old 04-23-2011, 03:00 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,480,245 times
Quote:
^^No, it was more than paperwork mistake. It was a violation of the withdrawal rules. The same money was withdrawn twice in a 12-month period. The fact that the rule is not known by the taxpayer does not negate the fact that the rule exists. IRAs have been in place for many decades and that particular withdrawal/loan rule has existed for almost as long as IRAs.

Frankly, had it been me, I would have done as someone upthread mentioned - not worry about it until the IRS questions it. There is a very high probability they would never have caught it. If they do, deal with it then. In my case, they did question a 2008 distribution reported on a 1099 because it was a large sum of money. Sent me a notice for $22,000 tax due. My documentation answered their questions. I've been doing withdrawal/loan/rollovers for decades. This is the first time they have ever asked me to prove the money was, in fact, rolled over. For that reason, I think somewhat smaller sums fall between the cracks. So, there is a very good chance this error would have never have been discovered.
That was me. I agree... The risk (that the IRS does catch it) versus the reward (for the IRS not catching it) is worth taking the chance in my opinion. It's not like the taxpayer did not report earnings, or planned (schemed) to avoid paying taxes...which can be proved by the taxpayer ultimately rolling over the money. The absolute worse outcome is that the IRS does catch it and the taxpayer pays the taxes plus a small penalty. The best outcome is that the taxpayer pays the same as if the transaction was done correctly without mistake - meaning they pay nada, zilch, zippo...nothing.

PS - Blame it on ignorance...or blame it on TurboTax like Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner did!

Old 04-23-2011, 03:13 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,034,174 times
Quote:
Your advice runs counter to your own experience. This isn't, for example, unreported income that the IRS may or may not find; these are distributions/rollovers that would have been reported to the IRS on 1099s.
It is a simple matter for the computer to spit out the info.

Old 04-23-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Your advice runs counter to your own experience. This isn't, for example, unreported income that the IRS may or may not find; these are distributions/rollovers that would have been reported to the IRS on 1099s.
It is a simple matter for the computer to spit out the info.
True. But the IRS up to this point in my experience hasn't seemed to bother with smaller amounts. Mine was questioned because the sum involved was very large. It clearly raised a red flag for some type of an IRS review. OPs withdrawal wasn't that large, so it could very well have flown under the radar.

Playing devil's advocate, however, and for the sake of argument, in OPs case, a trigger for a review might have been two identical 1099s in identical amounts in the same year. In that case, the probability of an inquiry would be higher. But, as you said, the consequences wouldn't have been more than interest and possible penalty assessments, as it was not the intent of OP to underreport or defraud since she had done the rollover. Even though IRS disallowed one small item on which I was taxed and paid interest, I was not assessed a penalty which surprised me.

And, fwiw, my case related to a 2008 return on which there was inquiry from the IRS in Dec. 2010. So, it does take them a while - even on the larger amounts. I guess the prospect of potentially collecting $22K had to be pursued.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 04-23-2011 at 05:56 PM..

Old 10-06-2012, 11:56 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,487,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Rolling it directly from one financial institution to another is a cardinal rule preached over and over.
Guess using a CPA helps avoid these kinds of issues?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement