Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 05:29 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times

Advertisements

Has anyone heard of Uplands Retirement Village in Pleasant Hill, Tennessee? Just curious, it looks kind of interesting, found it on the Net. It may be the kind of place you have to put in a lot of up-front money though. Wonder if it's lively enough. Read the "Lifestyle" link on their website...kind of unexpected!

Last edited by RiverBird; 04-09-2011 at 05:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 11:03 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
I have visited Uplands Retirement Village in Pleasant Hill, Tennessee this year in my quest to find or create an ideal 'community' (for seniors and others). I get their newsletters and have the materials / site plans, activities, costs...

Uplands is a bit remote for someone desiring 'community' in the form of a commerce center, a type of early adopter 'Sun City - lite'. Need to drive or take frequent shuttle to services / town (20 min ++). There is a convenience store and a couple other options in this very small town. There is little activity / community culture / small walkable town. It is pretty 'solely' the Uplands village, with a grade school and cafe / PO. I don't think there is a gas station. It is quite 'TENN' in appearance. (cute, calm, and rural). There doesn't appear to be any significant activities. Probably limited to hiking the premises. Maybe a couple small ponds and an exercise room. Bit hilly for biking.

Maybe just the ticket for the desires of some folks. It was not what I envision, but certainly was nice, relaxing, and beautiful.

The lots and homes are very attractive and a HUGE lots (this varies, but in some sections you will only see a couple neighbors. There is a small cluster of duplexes, and a couple congregate living spaces.

I was really turned off by the administration folks, but they may have been having a VERY bad day and I interrupted their pity party. The front desk was staffed by a volunteer resident who must have served her previous life as a 'Gate-keeper' to a government official. She was HARD to get past, but I wasn't planning leave without some info, in spite of some ole 'grump-face' manning the service desk.

I had a Housing Co-op seeking friend fly there to check it out, he felt it would be isolating for him. It is likely bent towards conservative thinkers. (From it's roots'. There is a great book describing how it was founded, (the following is a summary)
May Cravath Wharton, M.D. (1873-1959), Founder of Uplands Retirement Village, Pleasant Hill, Tennessee, USA. By Franklin Parker & Betty J. Parker, bfparker@frontiernet.net - thoughts.com conversation engine (http://www.thoughts.com/bfparker/may-cravath-wharton-md-1873-1959-founder-of-uplands-retirement-village-pleasant-hill-tennessee-usa-by-franklin-parker-amp-betty-j-parker-bfparkerfrontiernetnet - broken link)

I don't think NewEG accepts PM's, thus the long post. I would be happy to help elaborate more if there are further questions.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I have visited Uplands Retirement Village in Pleasant Hill, Tennessee this year in my quest to find or create an ideal 'community' (for seniors and others). I get their newsletters and have the materials / site plans, activities, costs...

Uplands is a bit remote for someone desiring 'community' in the form of a commerce center, a type of early adopter 'Sun City - lite'. Need to drive or take frequent shuttle to services / town (20 min ++). There is a convenience store and a couple other options in this very small town. There is little activity / community culture / small walkable town. It is pretty 'solely' the Uplands village, with a grade school and cafe / PO. I don't think there is a gas station. It is quite 'TENN' in appearance. (cute, calm, and rural). There doesn't appear to be any significant activities. Probably limited to hiking the premises. Maybe a couple small ponds and an exercise room. Bit hilly for biking...

I don't think NewEG accepts PM's, thus the long post. I would be happy to help elaborate more if there are further questions.
I do accept PMs. I can't move to Tenn, but was intrigued by the idea of an "ecumenical" retirement community. I too am not ready for all-older folks. But I do have to think about the "later" (latter?? ) years and plan something or other, at least to have in mind. I get along well with conservatives but generally am not one, so that could present challenges.

What has anyone found for truly "affordable" communities where you don't have to sell an arm and a leg to get in?

Old 05-16-2011, 01:05 PM

2 posts, read 11,688 times
I don't know where stealthrabit was, but I can assure you that Uplands Retirement Village is nothing like what she discribed. First of all it is located on the beautiful Cumberland Plateau in Tennessee and is only a 10 minute drive from Crossville, the golf capital of Tennessee and one of Tennessee's premier retirement community. Uplands is a very active community made up of residents who have lived lives of service and continue to serve as volunteers and remain very active. Issues of peace and justice and environmental concerns are a part of the daily life of Uplands. People are attracted here by the very low cost of living and the moderate year round weather. There are wonderful homes and condos and apartments available for those who seek a truly exceptional continuing care community. In addition to independent living, Uplands offers Assisted Living and Nursing care voted number one in Cumberland County for the past three years.
Come and visit, but I warn yo that once you come and meet our members it will be very hard to not make this your retirement home.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchcoach View Post
I don't know where stealthrabit was, but I can assure you that Uplands Retirement Village is nothing like what she discribed. First of all it is located on the beautiful Cumberland Plateau in Tennessee and is only a 10 minute drive from Crossville, the golf capital of Tennessee and one of Tennessee's premier retirement community. Uplands is a very active community made up of residents who have lived lives of service and continue to serve as volunteers and remain very active. Issues of peace and justice and environmental concerns are a part of the daily life of Uplands. People are attracted here by the very low cost of living and the moderate year round weather. There are wonderful homes and condos and apartments available for those who seek a truly exceptional continuing care community. In addition to independent living, Uplands offers Assisted Living and Nursing care voted number one in Cumberland County for the past three years.
Come and visit, but I warn yo that once you come and meet our members it will be very hard to not make this your retirement home.
Are you a staff member or resident?

My biggest question about your location in Tennessee is isolation--it's kind of rural, right? Also, is it in an area that tends to get flooding or tornadoes? (I always think of natural disasters in certain places, as I once lived in Missouri where there was both flooding and tornadoes!).

The other question is...how conservative or liberal are Upland residents?

And finally, I once read that half of one's home equity belongs to Uplands. Can you elaborate?

Old 05-17-2011, 03:07 PM

2 posts, read 11,688 times
Pleasant Hill is a fairly rural location, but we are 8 miles from Crossville and 20 miles from Cookeville, a major college town. My wife and I are members and I serve on staff as well.
We are also about an hour and one half from Knoxville, Nashville and Chattanauga. My wife has made the comment that this is the first time she has lived anywhere but in a large metro area and yet it takes her less time to get to Crossville where she does most of her shopping that it took her to get to work before we moved here.
You would probably classify Uplands as a liberal community with residents who have spend most of their lives in the service of others like teacher and pastors. They continue this life of education and service in their retirement here in Uplands.
Our resident purchase their homes and Uplands retains ownership of the land. There is a provision where Uplands will buy back the homes when the residents not longer need them. For more detailed information, you can visit the web site at www.uplandsvillage.com and request more specific information.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchcoach View Post
Pleasant Hill is a fairly rural location, but we are 8 miles from Crossville and 20 miles from Cookeville, a major college town. My wife and I are members and I serve on staff as well.
We are also about an hour and one half from Knoxville, Nashville and Chattanauga. My wife has made the comment that this is the first time she has lived anywhere but in a large metro area and yet it takes her less time to get to Crossville where she does most of her shopping that it took her to get to work before we moved here.
You would probably classify Uplands as a liberal community with residents who have spend most of their lives in the service of others like teacher and pastors. They continue this life of education and service in their retirement here in Uplands.
Our resident purchase their homes and Uplands retains ownership of the land. There is a provision where Uplands will buy back the homes when the residents not longer need them. For more detailed information, you can visit the web site at www.uplandsvillage.com and request more specific information.
I was impressed with the Uplands concept and website. I'm looking at future years - 5 to 10 yrs from now. I wish I could travel there to check it out but wouldn't drive alone. I know you have open houses. Wondering if anyone is going to visit from New England? If so let me know who to contact, than,s.

Old 05-21-2011, 03:57 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Are you a staff member or resident?

My biggest question about your location in Tennessee is isolation--it's kind of rural, right? Also, is it in an area that tends to get flooding or tornadoes? (I always think of natural disasters in certain places, as I once lived in Missouri where there was both flooding and tornadoes!).

The other question is...how conservative or liberal are Upland residents?

And finally, I once read that half of one's home equity belongs to Uplands. Can you elaborate?
I would be wary of any place anywhere with an atypical ownership kind of scheme (and this sounds very atypical to me). If you ever become interested in that part of the world - take a look at Chattanooga. I think it's a nice small city. And instead of being an hour away from Chattanooga - in Chattanooga - you're about 90 minutes away from Atlanta - where you can get a "big city fix" when you need one.

FWIW - I find the claims about the weather in these areas kind of questionable. No - the weather isn't like New England. You're not going to get tons of snow. What you get when it's cold and wet is worse - ice storms. My inlaws lived in central NC - and I always found ice storms more frightening than snow when we would run into one in the winter while visiting. If you want to get away from frozen precipitation in any way shape or form - you will have to go farther south (like about I-10 - and points south from there - unless you're on the coast instead of inland - in which case you can go more to the north). Robyn

Old 05-21-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I would be wary of any place anywhere with an atypical ownership kind of scheme (and this sounds very atypical to me). If you ever become interested in that part of the world - take a look at Chattanooga. I think it's a nice small city. And instead of being an hour away from Chattanooga - in Chattanooga - you're about 90 minutes away from Atlanta - where you can get a "big city fix" when you need one.

FWIW - I find the claims about the weather in these areas kind of questionable. No - the weather isn't like New England. You're not going to get tons of snow. What you get when it's cold and wet is worse - ice storms. My inlaws lived in central NC - and I always found ice storms more frightening than snow when we would run into one in the winter while visiting. If you want to get away from frozen precipitation in any way shape or form - you will have to go farther south (like about I-10 - and points south from there - unless you're on the coast instead of inland - in which case you can go more to the north). Robyn
It's not really likely I can move to Tenn. I just like their concept - there's nothing like that around here. Seems like what ties the residents together is an ecumenical sense of spirituality and community. I am familiar with ice storms here in NE--we get more snow than ice--but the occasional ice storm can weigh down and break electrical and phone wires and they fall to the ground, live. Plus power goes out. I will always have a small wood stove that is not powered by electricity (like pellet stoves are). I'm never likely to move more south as in GA or FL. I hear FL can get some winter cold snaps though too. For the other great points of staying where I am I'm just going to have to give up the idea of milder winters, just not in the cards for me.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:48 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
It's not really likely I can move to Tenn. I just like their concept - there's nothing like that around here. Seems like what ties the residents together is an ecumenical sense of spirituality and community. ....
I think you will be able to find examples of your desired housing situation in New England and the Carolinas. (Intentional communities and NORC's).

Uplands was not worth my trip. It is nice, but not a self supporting, sustainable community. The website and information can be interpreted differently and I'm sure it is great for some folks, especially the highly ambulatory (which I perceive NEgirl is somewhat restricted). YMMV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement