Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 10:48 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times

Advertisements

Interesting story: LE stops a 77-year-old for doing 66 in a 50-mph zone. Said senior seems to argue enough to warrant handcuffs, then after 35 minutes asks LE to hurry it up because she needs to use the bathroom.
Thoughts?
Unneccessary roughness? Small town officer pulls senior from SUV | wfaa.com Dallas - Fort Worth

fwiw, I'm way on LE's side in this one.
edit to add: I'm pretty sure my own stance is that - in the same situation, I would have been much more polite and subservient.
Just trying to figure out where a line should be drawn, if ever. Are we entitled to any particular consideration, ever?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 11:06 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,276,566 times
I did not see a 35 minute span before she asked for the bathroom. Story said the sat in the squad car for that long. It seemed pretty quick to yank her out of the car. She should have produced her license and she was speeding by most standards. So both of them could have defused the situation. I think everyone should watch Chris Rock's "How not to get your butt kicked by the police"

Old 09-12-2012, 11:34 PM

Love Chris Rock, do you have a link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
I think everyone should watch Chris Rock's "How not to get your butt kicked by the police"

Old 09-12-2012, 11:38 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
No handcuffs. No tickets.

A 77 year old woman musn't be bothered by these churls.

Make them catch criminals or get jobs cleaning toilets. Dirty bullies and cowards.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:46 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,797,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Interesting story: LE stops a 77-year-old for doing 66 in a 50-mph zone. Said senior seems to argue enough to warrant handcuffs, then after 35 minutes asks LE to hurry it up because she needs to use the bathroom.
Thoughts?
Unneccessary roughness? Small town officer pulls senior from SUV | wfaa.com Dallas - Fort Worth

fwiw, I'm way on LE's side in this one.
edit to add: I'm pretty sure my own stance is that - in the same situation, I would have been much more polite and subservient.
Just trying to figure out where a line should be drawn, if ever. Are we entitled to any particular consideration, ever?

I agree with you. Saw this story on the DFW local news tonight. I think the officer could have been nicer and a little more patient, BUT her attitude did her in. He asked (by my count) four times for her DL and she said "no" or just kept talking. A situation ALL of us can learn from, IMO.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:54 PM

Would your opinion be otherwise if she were 57, or 37 years old? If she had been flagged doing 77 or 87 in the 50 mph zone?
If this had been a 37-year-old woman who was doing 87 in a 50 mph zone, would you still feel the same?
Do you draw a line, and if so or if not, why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
No handcuffs. No tickets.

A 77 year old woman musn't be bothered by these churls.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:55 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,276,566 times
Just search for the title I wrote except a different word for butt.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:08 AM

Thank you, I did so and I watched the you-tubes. Chris Rock's two main points were "Obey the law" and "Use common sense".
I'm 100% with him. Just imo - and I could be wrong, convince me otherwise if you will - the lady in this case did neither.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
Just search for the title I wrote except a different word for butt.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:52 PM

5,329 posts, read 6,021,569 times
I like the way the officer was bracing himself with his right foot up against the vehicle when he pulled her out. Strong lady, I guess.

Anyway, much to-do about nothing. The woman didn't appear to be in distress. If it had been me and I really needed to go to the bathroom, I probably would have had an "accident" when I was dragged out of the car. Really. When I gotta go...I REALLY gotta go. (If for some reason I did not have an "accident" upon "exiting the vehicle", I would most certainly have relieved my bladder in the officer's car. Karma, y'know?)

Old 09-13-2012, 05:12 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times
I would have to question the intelligence, common sense, maturity, and sanity of anyone who would go out of their way to antagonize a person who is in a position of legitimate authority with the power of arrest and who is trained in self-defense. In what way would the incredible arrogance of that old ______ rebound to her own good? She sounds quite spoiled to me, just to choose a rather mild term. After all, the police officer did not just pull her over because he had nothing else to do; he pulled her over because she was traveling at an unsafe speed. In other words, he was protecting the general public. What is so hard to understand about an order to produce one's driver's license? Maybe she was suffering from dementia - a good reason for her not to be behind the wheel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement