Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 08:39 PM

624 posts, read 1,247,199 times

Advertisements

I would have to go back to my high school teaching job tomorrow, August 28. I retired last June. I have a 6:15 golf time, then off to the gym, home for a shower/lunch/nap and then off to coach my church flag football team. How cool! I will not miss sitting in the 7 hour meetings listening to administrators talk about test scores and their "new" procedures. I will not miss listening to the other teachers complain about their class schedule or room change. I will not miss the new curriculum or "teaching to the test" workbooks How cool...it is starting to set in that I have complete freedom. What a blessing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 10:58 PM

1,534 posts, read 4,260,528 times
Welcome to retirement! Enjoy, try not to smile too much around your non-retired acquaintances.

PS - Thank you for your teaching service, without which we'd all still be in caves. It is a very difficult and often thankless job. I am grateful that others have chosen to bear the burden of being a teacher.

Last edited by Pilgrim21784; 08-28-2011 at 11:18 PM..

Old 08-29-2011, 03:45 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,477,418 times
It has been over 2 years since I retired and I still find myself astonished and oh so happy to not have to go thru the office routine. Now if I could only wean myself from weekend/weekday issues.

Why do I shop on weekends? I could just as easily do it on Tuesday or Thursday

Old 08-29-2011, 07:17 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,446,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
Yes! To me, that is one of the great benefits of being retired ... the ability to avoid crowds by doing things when most people can't (i.e., during normal working hours). Grocery shopping on Tuesdays, kayaking - weather permitting - later in the week, even traveling to see family, since my two siblings are also retired.

But I have to admit, it took me a while to get used to looking forward to Mondays!

Old 08-29-2011, 07:21 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,739,899 times
Congratulations on your new status, and welcome to the life! As for weekends, we're just discovering this too since my husband joined me in retirement in July, that we can shop any time we like (assuming we have any money, of course.)

My husband's latest amusement is a remote-control helicopter, suitable for inside or outside flying. We were in a line at the store and there were two 60's-something men both buying these things. Someone remarked, "why are grown men buying toys?"

Old 08-29-2011, 07:59 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
It has been over 2 years since I retired and I still find myself astonished and oh so happy to not have to go thru the office routine. Now if I could only wean myself from weekend/weekday issues.

Good question! Force of habit? I "acclimated" quickly to the retirement schedule of having no schedule and avoiding crowds be it at stores, the roads or amusements. Weekends are at-home times while others are scurrying around trying to get done those things they can't do during the week.

It's a little bit of heaven!

Old 08-29-2011, 09:39 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times
I garee shoppig when you want and the pace you wantactaully makes it almost enjoyale really.It was oe of the real surprises for myslef and wife.I also tha i have time to meeet with friends weekdays at convient time when shop isn;t busy. Nice not to be on a schaedule once you get use to it.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:11 AM

18,717 posts, read 33,380,506 times
'sigh' I can't wait to add myself to the "pinch myself, I'm dreaming" of retirement. Four more years, if I can figure out health insurance, or at least four more years to part-time with pro-rated benefits.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:37 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,901,743 times
Yes, it's an odd feeling when the measuring out of our years in certain rhythms finally comes to an end. For me it was bittersweet - equal measures of relief and nostalgia. When I was asked back for a special project 10 months later, it was also a very odd feeling to be parking in that familiar parking lot and walking up the back stairs into the main building once again. After 10 months away, it felt as if I had never left. Now, six years later, I have put an end to the special projects, and it is again bittersweet. It was my choice to leave, both the first time and now, and there was relief that certain hassles are over, but regret at leaving behind the overwhelmingly gratifying aspects of it all.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:51 PM

973 posts, read 1,704,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbill View Post
I would have to go back to my high school teaching job tomorrow, August 28. I retired last June. I have a 6:15 golf time, then off to the gym, home for a shower/lunch/nap and then off to coach my church flag football team. How cool! I will not miss sitting in the 7 hour meetings listening to administrators talk about test scores and their "new" procedures. I will not miss listening to the other teachers complain about their class schedule or room change. I will not miss the new curriculum or "teaching to the test" workbooks How cool...it is starting to set in that I have complete freedom. What a blessing!

Good for you and and glad to see that you planned to do something on that day!

This will be me next year. I know I will not miss getting up early and going to meetings, but I will miss our "kick off" breakfast at a county club that is paid for by our school ring/graduation supply company. This year, as I shook hands, I made sure to tell all that this was my last one! And I am sure I will miss actually "teaching", but I will not miss all the planning and paperwork and administravia that go along with it.

I wish you well on this next "passage" of your life; and thank you for helping to educate the youth of America!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement