Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2011, 10:57 PM

255 posts, read 514,143 times

Advertisements

I am a dual citizen of Canada and US. Since Canada's retirement age is 65 and US is 67 (in my case), is it possible to first apply for Canada's retirement plan from 65-67, then switch over to the US retirement plan?

Note I am collecting from only one system at any one time. Is there any legal implication from US and Canada?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 08:52 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,133,883 times
Canadian system like US system are based on the taxes you paid into the system~ if you worked snd paid into the system you are welcome to use it~ if not no benefits are there for you.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:37 AM

255 posts, read 514,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckdoc View Post
Canadian system like US system are based on the taxes you paid into the system~ if you worked snd paid into the system you are welcome to use it~ if not no benefits are there for you.
Canada has a 3-tiered retirement system. Only the CPP requires you to contribute to receive benefits. The OAS and the GIS are age-based and need-based systems, respectively.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:49 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,739,604 times
I think you can collect what you're entitled to in both countries. Not sure. My brother isn't a dual, but he had a green card for decades, and is now collecting CPP and SS (and will be collecting OAS soon.)

Old 05-03-2019, 01:17 PM

3 posts, read 2,221 times
Maybe you all can help. Im looking at retiring in a couple years. I was born in Canada and paid into the Canada Pension plans for about 22 years so I have max credits. Ive been in the USA for about 28 years and I have maxed out on Social security credits too. My wife is in similar situation.
Although we love the USA, healthcare is a big drag on retirement funds.
What happens if we move back to Canada and retire there? Since we paid into both plans fully do we get to collect from both plans? Can anyone help?

Old 05-03-2019, 01:24 PM

3 posts, read 2,221 times
Default Canadian born US Citiezen retiring back in Canada. What happens to Pension?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
I think you can collect what you're entitled to in both countries. Not sure. My brother isn't a dual, but he had a green card for decades, and is now collecting CPP and SS (and will be collecting OAS soon.)
Thank you. That is encouraging! Any idea who I could contact to be 100% sure? An immigration lawyer?

Old 05-03-2019, 03:34 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,435,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicant View Post
Thank you. That is encouraging! Any idea who I could contact to be 100% sure? An immigration lawyer?
I would consult a tax attorney first.

My sister is a U.S. citizen and a landed immigrant living in Canada. She is collecting on both SS and CPP and I believe OAS as well.

Old 05-03-2019, 04:45 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,949,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicant View Post
For the US side, go to SSA.gov (Social Security Administration).

If you will be retiring in the US, go to Medicare.gov for information on health insurance.

Old 05-03-2019, 04:55 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,264,727 times
For those who are wondering, there are a lot of people who "straddle the border" and have benefits on both sides of the border. I encountered this a great deal in the medical center where I worked in Detroit. Generally, I found those folks had things all planned out when they started working years before.

Personally, I would work with a tax attorney who is used to dealing with cross border issues which is pretty common if you live in one of the major cities OR live near a border city.

Old 05-03-2019, 07:56 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,206,065 times
I collect from both systems, separately. Became eligible at different times, through separate processes.. Never had any problems. Never told one about the other, they never asked.

Doesn't matter where I live, direct deposit to my banks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement