Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 10:41 PM

121 posts, read 292,433 times

Advertisements

I think it's time for a new thread. For the women retiring alone, the men retiring alone, and the couples retiring, how's your move to greener pastures working out? With the economy such as it is, the stock market like a roller coaster and the GNP way below the GND, are we on the right tract? Was leaving our home state to retire in another the right thing to do? How is that retirement move of yours working out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 02:22 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,048,201 times
Our move across the United Stakes has worked out beautifully - better than expected. Our quality of life and standard of living has increased significantly. We miss the beach but love all the green, space and waterways here in KY. The most difficult thing is being away from family. We only see our children and grandchildren twice a year and that is hard. The winters are not our favorite - for the first time since moving we are going to Florida for a few weeks to escape the cold and dreariness - the other seasons are wonderful - really love 3 of the 4 seasons anyway. Overall, great experience.

Old 11-10-2011, 03:03 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
I am a married male and retired 4 years ago. Finding stuff to do is the biggest problem as all those things you thought were going to occupy your time end up only taking up 10% of the time, the wife and most friends still have between 5-10 years to go before they join the retirement club,so finding stuff to do with family and friends during the week can be impossible.
Thoughts of moving arent on the table as my wife is still working and the idea of moving away from family and friends makes no sense to me as now is the time i need those family and friends even though its mostly weekend activities.
Most of my activities revolve around the wife and my 2 teenage daughters, i couldnt imagine what single people with no family activities do.
Retirement maybe a never ending source of fun for some,i'm finding it a bit of a bore as i miss the feeling of being an integral part of life in the plant,i also miss the social dynamics of working with 350 other workers.
I've tried to get back in the workforce in any capacity but after sending out several hundred cv's and not getting a single reply,i get the message=too old.(now 63)
Bought the sportscar and the motorcycle but cruising alone aint much fun, do a lot of fishing alone , and usually take a lot of naps to pass the time.
If i had a choice i may not have retired when i did but at this company it was kinda an unwritten law that when you were eligible to retire =you retired.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:10 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times
My move is working out fine, I moved a few towns over and there's lots to do in a college community, even if you don't take classes. No improvement in the winter department, as it's still New England, and I do still think about the pluses of moving to Maine, but having stuff to do and folks to do it with is enough for me. One thing for sure is that I will never move rural or suburban again, imo that is for folks who can sustain themselves with a small farm or large-scale garden. To live a suburban life just costs too much money in gas is too isolated, for me. Wish I'd made the move much sooner.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:14 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
No complaints. Moved 2,000 miles to the place of our choice, purchased a modest home on the shore of a large, beautiful lake with wonderful neighbors and are taking life easy. Like Cattknap, three seasons out of four ain't bad and it's summer that's our least favorite but it's a small price to pay for life in the hill country of the Ozarks. The overall cost of living is far less than on the left coast from whence we came and state and local taxes are extremely low. We've been able to maximize our pensions and Social Security, excellent health care is handily available and the peace, quiet, serenity and abundant wildlife are a constant joy. We made the right choices at the right time for us. It's all good!

Old 11-10-2011, 05:40 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Not yet retired. This is an interesting thread. Please keep it going.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:16 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times
I moved from FL to AL. I am so happy here and am happy. I bought a small house for cash in a safe town. People are caring and friendly. I stay busy with always a lot to do.

I pay no state income tax and should not have property tax this year but even if I do it is still only $200 a year.

I am 5 hours to the gulf and 50 minutes to B'ham and 20 minutes to Huntsville. Have a huge lake 10 miles away. I love the 4 seasons and the little mountains here. Fall is beautiful this year

Old 11-10-2011, 07:03 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
I moved from FL to AL. I am so happy here and am happy. I bought a small house for cash in a safe town. People are caring and friendly. I stay busy with always a lot to do.

I pay no state income tax and should not have property tax this year but even if I do it is still only $200 a year.

I am 5 hours to the gulf and 50 minutes to B'ham and 20 minutes to Huntsville. Have a huge lake 10 miles away. I love the 4 seasons and the little mountains here. Fall is beautiful this year
Are you in Jefferson County? I just heard on NPR that the county is declaring bankruptcy, something about the sewer system.

Alabama is a beautiful state--I'd love to visit. Mountains are awesome, from pics I've seen online. Are summers pretty bad (heat) and are you in the path of tornados? What do you like better, compared with FL?

Old 11-10-2011, 07:09 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
I would say that our retirement moved has worked out really well.

We have reduced our living expenses a lot, we no longer have a mortgage, and we have found ourselves in a community that has a lot to offer us.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:15 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,385,103 times
We moved out of central NJ to NC a little over a year ago mainly because of the lower COL and the milder weather.

So far back in NJ in the last year, 30" of snow the day after Christmas, Hurricane Irene, and just a week or so ago the October snow storm that left our old neighborhood without power for another few days just like Irene did.

Because of the high unemployment in NC I still have not found any acceptable part time work like I had in NJ but down here I really don't need the job.

For us so far the move has worked out.

We miss our old neighborhood and the great restaurants in NJ but we don't miss the crowded roads, the crowded stores and we certainly don't miss the bad weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement