Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 06:46 AM

150 posts, read 298,001 times

Advertisements

As part of my duties as a administrator of parents' estate I have my dad's coin collection in my safe deposit box. There nothing mint, but I know nothing of coins' value. How do I sell this stuff? Website? Auctions? Coin dealers? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 06:49 AM

4,280 posts, read 12,670,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janeace View Post
As part of my duties as a administrator of parents' estate I have my dad's coin collection in my safe deposit box. There nothing mint, but I know nothing of coins' value. How do I sell this stuff? Website? Auctions? Coin dealers? Thanks.
I would say a local, well known coin dealer but it is easy enough to get an idea of a specific coins value on the Internet assuming you have the time to do so.

I found this tidbit rather fast:

1943 Penny

In recent years a “1943 S” (San Francisco Mint) copper coin has gone for about $60,000 dollars at auction. I remember the prices from the P (Philadelphia) mint ranging from around $10,000 many years ago to $73,000 in recent times. There are many counterfeits of this coin.

The easiest way to determine if a 1943 one cent is made of steel, and not copper, is to use a magnet. If it sticks to the magnet, it is not copper and is worth about 50 cents. If it does not stick, the coin might be of copper and should be authenticated by an expert.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:13 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times
Find a REPUTABLE coin dealer locally and try to get two opinions.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:22 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,063,850 times
Are there any coin shows in your area? I think I would go to one and take a look at some of the dealers and try to get a feel as to their honesty and integrity. Then maybe make a personal appt. with one.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:53 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
I would say a local, well known coin dealer but it is easy enough to get an idea of a specific coins value on the Internet assuming you have the time to do so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Are there any coin shows in your area? I think I would go to one and take a look at some of the dealers and try to get a feel as to their honesty and integrity. Then maybe make a personal appt. with one.
When coin dealers pledge allegiance to the flag, the flag is the Jolly Roger. Someone who does not know coins well is in the same position as a virgin who is dating a convicted sex offender.

First, get a copy of the Redbook.

Amazon.com: 2012 Guide Book of United States Coins: Red Book (9780794833473): R. S. Yeoman, Kenneth Bressett: Books

See what you have. Read a bit about condition of coins. The best place to sell them is ebay. The coin auctions are very active and you will get what they're worth.

Were I in your position I'd check ebay's completed auctions and see what prices they brought. Then I'd buy them from the estate for that price. If there are no other heirs, just keep them. Their value isn't going to go down.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:05 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Were I in your position I'd check ebay's completed auctions and see what prices they brought. Then I'd buy them from the estate for that price. If there are no other heirs, just keep them. Their value isn't going to go down.
Good advice.

Do you have children? Keep them and pass them along in your will. I would not, however, leave them in a safe deposit box depending on the laws in your state. Safe deposit boxes can be subject to some strange laws. Somewhere on City Data is a thread concerning this. If I can find it I'll link to it in another post.

Edit: I give up. The search function for multiple words on CD is pitiful.

If you were close I'd recommend a reputable dealer that was a client of mine for years. Probably the most honest coin dealer I've ever met.

Last edited by Tek_Freek; 11-20-2011 at 12:26 PM..

Old 11-20-2011, 12:25 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,496,591 times
My late FIL had thousands of coins. No way we were going to tackle that ourselves. We used a trading assistant on Ebay to sell the coins (this trading assistant specialized in coins). My husband and I did the basic sort of the coins into various denominations. The trading assistant came to our house - organized all the coins into about 85 lots - took pictures of them - and put them up for sale on Ebay. All but 4 of the lots sold (and the trading assistant bought those 4 from us). The trading assistant took care of sale completion (sending the coins to the buyers - etc.). The assistant charged us 15% of the gross - plus Ebay and postal fees. We thought it was a great way to handle things. Robyn

Old 11-20-2011, 12:31 PM

1,738 posts, read 845,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
^^^ This, for sure. Maybe even multiple opinions.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:20 PM

2,035 posts, read 3,352,275 times
Just did the same thing - kinda.

My cousin passed away and left a coin and foreign money collection.

We had two different people take it to two different coin dealers in seperate areas of the state for estimates.

We had looked up a couple of the coins online, but didnt search each one in detail, and werent interested in trying to sell them individually anywhere.

They were worth wayyy less than anyone thought they would be, so good luck.

We did get $100 more from one guy than the other.

My friend runs an auction and says that nothing is selling nowadays (for decent money) - not even antiques

Old 11-21-2011, 06:26 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times
Coin people are all thieves. There is no reputable opinion. Learn about it yourself. If you are going to keep them, get them insured. If you are going to sell them, put them in a well attended regionally acclaimed auction. BTW, who says collectible coin prices are down? Cite please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement