Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 09:21 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times

Advertisements

It's all in the DNA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 07:20 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,376,989 times
One thing for sure, some Seniors that seem to be "boring" actually have health issues that prevent them from being too active. I learned that very fast when I worked for a Senior Healthcare company. Then there are those that just want to live a very quiet, seemingly "unfriendly" lifestyle for whatever reasons. Some simply don't want to socialize at all.
My wife's brother (60) is just that way nowadays. He will come right out and say "I do live a boring lifestyle and that's fine with me". He has also told us "I don't want the responsibility it can take to make friends."

Old 12-22-2011, 11:39 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,102,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
One thing for sure, some Seniors that seem to be "boring" actually have health issues that prevent them from being too active. I learned that very fast when I worked for a Senior Healthcare company. Then there are those that just want to live a very quiet, seemingly "unfriendly" lifestyle for whatever reasons. Some simply don't want to socialize at all.
My wife's brother (60) is just that way nowadays. He will come right out and say "I do live a boring lifestyle and that's fine with me". He has also told us "I don't want the responsibility it can take to make friends."
That is an interesting statement about the responsibility but it is true! One of my friends today expressed that he doesn't get close to anyone because everyone that he has, has died. Poor guy is depressed often and any overatures towards him for friendship/closeness, he pushes away. We are indeed, a product of our experiences.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:56 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
It's all in the DNA.
Some people get burned out during their work careers and kinda stay that way. They "lose their song.." They get cynical, maybe even bitter. If you take the time to draw them out, you might be surprised what is in there.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:20 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,376,989 times
Not only due to "job burn out", but also to bad relationships/marriages and residential location. Two single (divorced) ladies that wife and I know (talk to) aren't cynical or bitter, they just don't want a man/relationship in their life right now at all. I should say the one lady doesn't like living here in Jacksonville at all......and has told me that. She'd rather be living in the Daytona Beach area where her daughter lives, but her job keeps her here. She told me that that may change when her new apt. lease comes up in a few months.

For many folks young and old, their job, income, residency, family situation, past/present relationships/marriages will dictate just how friendly or unfriendly they are. Some just don't like socializing at all. And, to try and "draw them out" can be nearly impossible to impossible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Some people get burned out during their work careers and kinda stay that way. They "lose their song.." They get cynical, maybe even bitter. If you take the time to draw them out, you might be surprised what is in there.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:01 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
I like the comments, "gender, proximity, general interests." One of my Nieces complained to me that all the guys she was meeting drank too much, were alcoholics, sloppy, etc., etc. She was going out 3-4 nights a week to local bars and she'd see the same guys every time. I asked her who she thought she'd be meeting who hung-out in bars most nights, and drank too much? I suggested she change her venue. Participate in her church groups. What about the charitable groups she wanted to support? Etc. Thought she likes to drink she didn't want an alcoholic or heavy drinker as the father of her children, or as a husband.
Sounds like she needs a part time gig at the bar, rather than spending money on booze she could make a few extra bucks.

Then she would have friends at the bar who probably weren't drunk but she'd also have an opportunity to see guys who weren't there to get drunk but just had no where else to go. Maybe there to meet a girl like her, just not there long enough to get attention. Without the ruse of a chance encounter, the experience becomes something different.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:14 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey;22275431she'd ... have an opportunity to [I
see[/i] guys who weren't there to get drunk but just had no where else to go.
They must be really interesting chaps.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:53 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,374,960 times
Default Boring Older People

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
I can identify with your problem. All my fun friends have died (no kidding) and my interests and inclinations are not the norm. Add to that, being a single female and alas, it is indeed, impossible to find new friends. I'm down to 3 very elderly friends and when they are gone. . . . I wonder why so many older people are SO BORING!!!!
You are so RIGHT! Why are people in their late 60's and older so boring? They won't drive at night, or they are only interested in family. Or they simply want to sit around and take naps. Or they have medical issues that prohibit a lot of activities (of course, they can't help that!). Or maybe they are depressed?

We find that if we like a couple, we try to get them to go somewhere or do something fun for all of us. If they are likely to be a "fun" couple, they are probably interested. Some don't even want to go out to dinner.

Another issue we find is that some people are extremely conservative politically. That's OK, as long as they don't want to talk about it all the time, which a lot of older people seem to want to do. They really enjoy complaining--again, BORING!

Old 12-31-2011, 09:05 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
I I wonder why so many older people are SO BORING!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Why are people in their late 60's and older so boring?
Most people of any age are boring.

Old 12-31-2011, 09:14 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
You are so RIGHT! Why are people in their late 60's and older so boring? They won't drive at night, or they are only interested in family. Or they simply want to sit around and take naps. Or they have medical issues that prohibit a lot of activities (of course, they can't help that!). Or maybe they are depressed?

We find that if we like a couple, we try to get them to go somewhere or do something fun for all of us. If they are likely to be a "fun" couple, they are probably interested. Some don't even want to go out to dinner.

Another issue we find is that some people are extremely conservative politically. That's OK, as long as they don't want to talk about it all the time, which a lot of older people seem to want to do. They really enjoy complaining--again, BORING!
I am probably one of those people that you would find "boring". I don't match any of the things you mentioned that, supposedly, MAKE a person boring but there's not much that interests me outside of home. I work and it's a demanding...physically and mentally...job so when I get home I don't want to do anything. I generally have split days off so it takes that ONE day to get my energy back up to go 'do it again'. Somehow I manage to stay busy at home, never get bored and don't feel any great need to get out and socialize.

I may be boring but, dang, I like me! lol I am perfectly content with my life and if others find me boring I'd say that's THEIR problem, not MINE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement