Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 04:40 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,929,816 times

Advertisements

First, let me preface this post by saying I am in my early sixties and in relatively good health. I know there are no guarantees, and I may drop dead at any moment . . . and I may live for several more years . . . from my current vantage point, I do not have the desire to live just for the sake of living into extreme old age . . .IF I am still healthy (and it's a big IF), I think mid-eighties would be sufficient . . .of course, this is all speculation, so who knows how I will feel if I ever get to that point.

Speaking of points . . . the point of this post is that many people actually seem to view longevity as a race - to see who can get to be the oldest in a way, with little regard for quality of life. This is why we have so many ancient people warehoused - many of these people don't even know who they are or who their relatives are anymore - but still they live on and on . . .WHY?

I think the answer is multifaceted but think part of it has to do with economic rewards that doctors, hospitals, and various "rest homes" reap . . .I think another part is the person in question may have the mindset that "older is better," somehow - otherwise, why wouldn't they die when they developed dementia?

What is the quality of life for a person with dementia?

I think another factor contributing to this issue are families that won't let go perhaps out of guilt - this is all on a subtle level . . .

I think all of these factors converge to create what we have today . . .

I pray to God I will not be one of the poor souls in a nursing home . . .I cannot think of anything worse.

AT WHAT AGE WILL SOCIETY FINALLY FEEL THAT ENOUGH IS ENOUGH? WILL IT BE 125? Who is going to support these people if they live to be 125 and have been retired for 60 plus years and perhaps in rest homes for 30 plus years?

This is a completely serious question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 05:04 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,041,460 times
I'll take quality over quantity any day. When it gets to the point I feel the quality of my life is diminished, I would just as soon say adios.

I've cared for quite a few people suffering from dementia, including my father. I swear that man used his last working brain cell to beg me to kill him. He wanted out. I couldn't kill him but I could and did order palliative care only. Nothing would be done to lengthen his life. It's an awful way to go and personally, if I ever get that diagnosis, I hope I have the guts to just take care of it myself.

The medical profession wants to keep you alive. Even if you are a vegetable and have zero quality of life. And you will quickly spend every last cent you have for the privilege of being kept alive.

It's not easy to be old. I remember trying to explain to my H how blessed his father was to have died quickly. His Dad spent the morning chopping wood, came in, had lunch, took a nap, and just never woke up. To me, this was a perfect end. I think H learned I was right when his uncle died after multiple surgeries, amputations, and months of misery. H had a perfect death too. He went out with friends for New Year's Eve, danced, and had a good time. He came home, went to bed, and never woke up. He was too young to just drop dead but better that than years of suffering.

Old 03-18-2012, 05:56 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,965,555 times
Visit a nursing home. That's a real eye opener.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:20 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,489,025 times
One major reason "warehoused" people may live for many years is simply genes. As for the quality of life when one has dementia, I can't answer that. Suffice it to say I doubt that it's very fulfilling.

The ex turned 61 recently. She's had dementia since at least age 55 and some of the children and I think its onset may have been as early as age 48 or so. Women in her family have always lived long. Her mother just died last year at age 93. One grandmother lived to age 89 and the other to age 101. Barring accident or illness, she could easily live another 20-30 years. She's been in a facility for the last two years and that's likely where she'll remain. She doesn't even recognize our children.

While some states now permit assisted suicide when one is facing certain death from cancer or other ailment, one common factor is that the individual must give their knowing consent. An individual in the throes of dementia or Alzheimer's is incapable of doing so. Due to that lack of capacity, I don't think we'll be seeing voluntary euthanasia for those permanently lacking cognitive ability anytime soon.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:38 PM

5,329 posts, read 6,022,876 times
Ah, Americans have such short memories. Does no one remember it was the medical establishment that supported the Affordable Care Act requirement that primary care physicians speak with their elderly patients regarding end of life issues? Do the words "Death Panels" sound familiar?

Don't blame the docs. The Decision Makers are usually the family.

The Dying of the Light

Our unrealistic views of death, through a doctor’s eyes - The Washington Post

Old 03-18-2012, 07:07 PM

18,731 posts, read 33,402,036 times
Exactly. Medical professionals can only do what the patient or family demands within the appropriate scope of practice.
I hope that Palin woman burns in a hell of her making for "death panels."
I mean, these decisions are made every day in every kind of health care setting. Note that something like one-fourth of Medicare disbursements are made in the last month of life, I think it is?

Old 03-18-2012, 08:01 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,970,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
First, let me preface this post by saying I am in my early sixties and in relatively good health. I know there are no guarantees, and I may drop dead at any moment . . . and I may live for several more years . . . from my current vantage point, I do not have the desire to live just for the sake of living into extreme old age . . .IF I am still healthy (and it's a big IF), I think mid-eighties would be sufficient . . .of course, this is all speculation, so who knows how I will feel if I ever get to that point.

Speaking of points . . . the point of this post is that many people actually seem to view longevity as a race - to see who can get to be the oldest in a way, with little regard for quality of life. This is why we have so many ancient people warehoused - many of these people don't even know who they are or who their relatives are anymore - but still they live on and on . . .WHY?

I think the answer is multifaceted but think part of it has to do with economic rewards that doctors, hospitals, and various "rest homes" reap . . .I think another part is the person in question may have the mindset that "older is better," somehow - otherwise, why wouldn't they die when they developed dementia?

What is the quality of life for a person with dementia?

I think another factor contributing to this issue are families that won't let go perhaps out of guilt - this is all on a subtle level . . .

I think all of these factors converge to create what we have today . . .

I pray to God I will not be one of the poor souls in a nursing home . . .I cannot think of anything worse.

AT WHAT AGE WILL SOCIETY FINALLY FEEL THAT ENOUGH IS ENOUGH? WILL IT BE 125? Who is going to support these people if they live to be 125 and have been retired for 60 plus years and perhaps in rest homes for 30 plus years?

This is a completely serious question.
It turns out that quantity and quality actually go together. Living a healthy lifestyle (nutritionally, physically, and spiritually) helps people to live both longer AND better. Dan Buettner went to the 4 parts of the world where people lived the longest, and the secret to their longevity had almost nothing to do with expensive pills and high tech medical treatments. See this excellent video:

Dan Buettner: How to live to be 100+ - YouTube

Old 03-18-2012, 08:47 PM

I know some VERY old people who are seemingly staying alive through sheer will power and did nothing healthy to promote longevity. Talking about sedentary lifestyles, lack of community, smoking, negative attitudes, etc.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:49 PM

It's funny that society does not see this as a problem - because old people are warehoused - and are hidden from public scrutiny, there is no awareness that this is a problem that seems to be getting bigger as people continue to age into record breaking brackets.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
One major reason "warehoused" people may live for many years is simply genes. As for the quality of life when one has dementia, I can't answer that. Suffice it to say I doubt that it's very fulfilling.

The ex turned 61 recently. She's had dementia since at least age 55 and some of the children and I think its onset may have been as early as age 48 or so. Women in her family have always lived long. Her mother just died last year at age 93. One grandmother lived to age 89 and the other to age 101. Barring accident or illness, she could easily live another 20-30 years. She's been in a facility for the last two years and that's likely where she'll remain. She doesn't even recognize our children.

While some states now permit assisted suicide when one is facing certain death from cancer or other ailment, one common factor is that the individual must give their knowing consent. An individual in the throes of dementia or Alzheimer's is incapable of doing so. Due to that lack of capacity, I don't think we'll be seeing voluntary euthanasia for those permanently lacking cognitive ability anytime soon.
Who will be paying for her care for potentially the next forty years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement