Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 11:29 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times

Advertisements

It's an individual decision and I really don't think it's anyone else's business, and certainly not the government's, how long other people choose to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 11:42 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,928,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
It's an individual decision and I really don't think it's anyone else's business, and certainly not the government's, how long other people choose to live.
I am interested in the resources that are necessary to support extra long lives that require caregivers and extraordinary care (both human and economic).

Old 03-19-2012, 02:30 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post

Speaking of points . . . the point of this post is that many people actually seem to view longevity as a race -This is why we have so many ancient people warehoused - many of these people don't even know who they are or who their relatives are anymore - but still they live on and on . . .WHY?

the person in question may have the mindset that "older is better," somehow - otherwise, why wouldn't they die when they developed dementia?

I think another factor contributing to this issue are families that won't let go perhaps out of guilt

- Who is going to support these people if they live to be 125 and have been retired for 60 plus years and perhaps in rest homes for 30 plus years?

This is a completely serious question.
These statements make it look like you are suggesting that people could just go ahead and die if they chose to, but aren't, just so they might win the 'who can live longest' contest.
Are you suggesting knocking them off pnce a certain level of non-functionality is reached?
What do you think they solution or better alternative is?

Old 03-19-2012, 06:13 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
I guess I'm like some of the others and wondering what exactly the OP wanted to do with these people who are older. I felt like maybe the suggestion was to make a "cut-off" or a level of functionality where we just would be required to die? I don't like the idea of making a judgment when someone should die as I leave that up to God and neither do I want to try to judge the quality of life of another because I do not believe you can do that. For myself, I see my quest for longevity as the ultimate challenge and work at it with a healthy lifestyle and I have son with Down syndrome who is low-functioning and I need to be around for him because only God knows what will happen to him when I am no longer here and others start to judge the quality of his life. He is among those not valued by society just like these older people who are being warehoused and much of this warehousing has been replaced by people staying in their homes and getting assistance to do that. I saw the most horrible movie once where people remained youthful until like their 100th birthday and then they were required to walk into a pool of water and die and if they escaped, the quickly became the 100 year old in typical form anyway. It was a horrible movie and it has come to mind a couple of times lately based on suicide or putting people to "sleep" based on their age or functionality. Don't ever feel guilty for choosing "life".

Old 03-19-2012, 06:40 AM

2,289 posts, read 5,774,983 times
My mother is 86, physically healthy, mentally...she is losing it. She plans to live another 10 years or so, I hope not, in another 5 or less she won't know her name. She is getting real nasty and has terrible mood swings.

Doctors and others in the medical field don't care about the quality of life, it's all about money, keeping seniors, who have lived beyond their capability, alive is a big business.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:10 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Who will be paying for her care for potentially the next forty years?
I have no idea. Haven't spoken to her for seven or eight years. Now she wouldn't even know who I was. She quickly ran through all the money she received from our divorce, her second husband's death from an automobile accident and the lump-sum portion of a settlement she received from being hit by a car while walking. I believe she receives a modest monthly amount from it but it's time-limited and may have run dry.

She burned several of our children financially to the tune of tens of thousands of dollars and only one child wants anything to do with her and not much at that. However, several years ago my wife and I fronted that daughter the money so she could fly back to where the ex was and clean up her situation. She now has guardianship over her and is the one who got her into the facility.

My guess is that she's there on Medicaid, possibly with a share of cost equal to whatever else she might have in the way of any funding, and possibly Medicare disability for physician-related expenses. In less than a year she'll be eligible for Social Security, if she's not already receiving disability funding, either from her last husband's account since she was lefty widowed or possibly mine unless her last marriage invalidated that. Not sure how that works and don't need to. She's no longer my responsibility.

Long story short: The taxpayers will likely be paying!

Old 03-19-2012, 07:52 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,209,541 times
I think most of us want to live long, healthy, active lives but when "healthy" and "active" leave the scene and "frailty" and "ill health" move in, most would be hoping for The End to come sooner rather than later.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:34 AM

4,280 posts, read 12,670,274 times
Not to overly simplify but if I have a quality of life, eat, dress, drive, shop, play golf, pour a drink, cook a meal, etc. then all is well.

When I cannot do the above, I will address the issues. That said, I do believe one has the right end their life.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:07 AM

6,884 posts, read 11,245,419 times
Smile Very true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
I think most of us want to live long, healthy, active lives but when "healthy" and "active" leave the scene and "frailty" and "ill health" move in, most would be hoping for The End to come sooner rather than later.
You said it very well.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:39 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,134,122 times
to the OP, you ask why as if they are living on purpose. you also say you PRAY TO GOD you won't be like that in a nursing home. Well Why and God go together here and most of those that believe in God know it is not up to them or their relatives or doctors or the govenment when they will die.
There are many people in nursing homes that would like to die or look forward to death, but are not going to commit suicide.
Is that what you are suggesting? or euthanasia? are you going to be the first to line up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement