Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 01:21 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,656,908 times

Advertisements

You like Westerns?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 01:37 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,435,519 times
You said you're not into zany comedies, but SOME LIKE IT HOT is a classic. it was directed by Billy Wilder and released in 1959. I saw it in the theater back then and, although I'm not the type to laugh out loud at anything, I did so throughout the entire movie. It's been designated by many authorities as the best comedy of all time.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:17 PM

530 posts, read 1,340,803 times
Ah, I second Some Like It Hot, one of my favorites! On Netflix, try Drowning Mona (Bette Midler, Danny Devito), Before the Devil Knows Your Dead (Phillip Seymour Hoffman), Far From Heaven (Julianne Moore, Dennis Quaid, directed by Todd Haynes, my favorite), Syriana (George Clooney) and any Coen brothers movies you can find. I like Quentin Taratino a lot but most people find his work too violent.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:34 PM

2,499 posts, read 3,406,007 times
If you have not yet seen "Beat the Devil" with Humphrey Bogart and Jennifer Jones, I highly recommend it. It is wicked funny, but not in the usual manner for that time period. It's on Netflix's instant play.

"Talk of the Town" is one of my favorites (Cary Grant, Jean Arthur, Ronald Colman), but it is not as well-known for some reason.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:46 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,435,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post

Now I'd ask this on the general entertainment forum, but I'm wondering what the over-60s would recommend...I'm not into zany shallow comedies....but yes to great comedies with great directors. Not into gory horror, either. I guess I'm more into contemporary drama and classics and adventure. So what are some of the best movies you've seen?? I need to add to my Netflix queue!
Hands down, the best is .... Galaxy Quest
Never give up. Never surrender.

But I don't think it's your style.

A few lesser known movies I like ...
Cross Creek
Jeffrey
Priscilla Queen of the Desert
Tales of the City (actually a series of movies)

Old 04-17-2012, 04:21 AM

27 posts, read 76,435 times
You can also try the free movies on hulu, there are a few good classics available there.

For the 1930s, Daytime Wife with Tyrone Power and Linda Darnell; and a wonderful movie that's hard to find on DVD, History Is Made at Night, with Charles Boyer and Jean Arthur. Also some of the good early Hitchcock movies like 39 Steps and The Lady Vanishes.

For the 1940s, Anna Karenina with Vivian Leigh and Ralph Richardson; also Hitchock's Foreign Correspondent; and I Married a Witch (Veronica Lake).

Old 04-17-2012, 05:02 AM

2,499 posts, read 3,406,007 times
Gandalara, we love Galaxy Quest!! "This episode was badly written!!" Outstanding movie.

"Down With Love" ~ Ewan MacGregor, Renee Zellwegger, David Hyde Pierce. Like Galaxy Quest, we never get tired of this movie. It's a brilliant twist on the Doris Day/Rock Hudson movies.

"That Thing You Do!" is a fun, very well-written movie about a young band from Erie, PA that has one hit song in the 1960's.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:21 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Hands down, the best is .... Galaxy Quest
Never give up. Never surrender.

But I don't think it's your style.
One of the things about being a parent or aunt, etc is that you go to see movies you wouldn't ordinarily go to. I remember accompanying my nephew and his friend to see Galaxy Quest back in the late 90s. I enjoyed it because they loved it. I probably would have enjoyed it anyway. I don't actually have a style. I would go with just about any movie with great direction, photography, and acting. My ex and I still watch Tremors every year around New Years, we must have seen it 20 times. It's not typically my preferred genre, but what a great movie. Can't get Reba McIntyre and What's His Name out of my head in the rec room scene. And I still have the shakes even though I know how it ends.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marigo14 View Post
You can also try the free movies on hulu, there are a few good classics available there.

For the 1930s, Daytime Wife with Tyrone Power and Linda Darnell; and a wonderful movie that's hard to find on DVD, History Is Made at Night, with Charles Boyer and Jean Arthur. Also some of the good early Hitchcock movies like 39 Steps and The Lady Vanishes.

For the 1940s, Anna Karenina with Vivian Leigh and Ralph Richardson; also Hitchock's Foreign Correspondent; and I Married a Witch (Veronica Lake).
Thanks for these suggestions. I had tried Hulu but only seemed to get a very limited list, and many that are not the entire movie. Am I missing something in how to access those?

Though I've seen Anna K, I'm putting it back on the list, it's time to watch it again. Vivian Leigh was perfect for the role.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
You said you're not into zany comedies, but SOME LIKE IT HOT is a classic. it was directed by Billy Wilder and released in 1959. I saw it in the theater back then and, although I'm not the type to laugh out loud at anything, I did so throughout the entire movie. It's been designated by many authorities as the best comedy of all time.
Zany comedies with great direction, yes. Not the silly ones with poor acting. I'm putting this one near the top, thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement