Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 10:16 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,065,651 times

Advertisements

I guess I am asking if you find yourself sitting a whole lot more, in your retirement, than before? Citi Data has caused me to be more sedentary than I like, but I cannot walk around with my laptop and get exercise cause it doesn't work. My entertainment is primarily on line these days and my waist/backside is increasing enormously. Do you force yourself to get up and turn off the laptop? I need to find an enjoyable activity that does not involve sitting. What is yours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 10:25 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,676,249 times
I'm sad to say that yes, I spend too much time on my bum. I retired 5 years ago. I'm 67. I used to have a beautiful home with 2.5 acres, which gave me plenty of exercise. Sadly, I lost everything but my dog and the clothes I was wearing in a wildfire last year. Now I and my dog are living in an apartment, and it's a huge change for me.

These days, most of the exercise I get is walking my dog.

But I hand quilt, and that's a sedentary hobby. I definitely spend too much time on the computer.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:01 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,977,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I guess I am asking if you find yourself sitting a whole lot more, in your retirement, than before? Citi Data has caused me to be more sedentary than I like, but I cannot walk around with my laptop and get exercise cause it doesn't work. My entertainment is primarily on line these days and my waist/backside is increasing enormously. Do you force yourself to get up and turn off the laptop? I need to find an enjoyable activity that does not involve sitting. What is yours?
Just got in from picking up branches from the yard. Great bending exercise, even with impaired mobility. If you can, stand up bend over and touch your toes, very slowly 10 times each hour or two.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:02 AM

413 posts, read 701,791 times
I don't spend as much time sitting as when I had a sedentary office job. Then I spent most of my time sitting with my eyes on the screen. Now, my online time is more of a break from other activities. I take art classes 3 days a week, so I'm driving there and back and working there in the studio. The other days I spend a lot of time on home assignments which is mostly on my feet at my easel. I also walk my dog 3 times a day, then there's housework and meal prep, so no, I don't spend a lot of time on my butt, except in the evening when I may read or watch TV while browsing the internet.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:09 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,599,151 times
Way too much. Both my work and my fun stuff at home is sit-down. At home we keep promising ourselves to "remodel". When we do, I plan to get a stand-up desk.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:11 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,092,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanna25 View Post
I don't spend as much time sitting as when I had a sedentary office job.
Amen to that!

Old 04-16-2012, 10:18 AM

530 posts, read 1,341,027 times
I definitely sit much less than when I was chained to a desk for 9 or 10 hours a day (and then working from home another couple of hours!) The dog is my answer. He is a very active Aussie that is only two years old, and we walk about 3-4 miles a day, even in winter (except for the worst snow or cold days.) In summer, I walk him twice a day. Sometimes I grumble about it, especially during the Vermont winter, but then I remember that if it wasn't for him, I wouldn't walk much at all! All that walking keeps my weight down and is supposed to help with the RA, which luckily really affects only my hands and one knee.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:03 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,741,447 times
I too sit much less than when I was working, since I had mainly desk jobs for close to 20 years. That's not to say I don't sit around, but I'm also more active now than I was then, riding a bike, going to the gym, walking.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:48 PM

524 posts, read 844,006 times
I work now in a school and I can say that I move much more on the weekend between the house and garden

Old 04-17-2012, 07:00 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,977,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Way too much. Both my work and my fun stuff at home is sit-down. At home we keep promising ourselves to "remodel". When we do, I plan to get a stand-up desk.
Sit on one of those inflatable exercise balls at your desk, and move around on the ball as you sit. Great middle exercise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement