Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 02:42 PM

207 posts, read 566,234 times

Advertisements

My husband said he was going to retire. I was working but said that if you are going to retire ...so am I. We both retired on the same day.

Now what do you do?

I have my passion and hobby of photography. Running is also a passion of mine.

After 2 years it seems that boredom is setting in...at least on his part. He works out and takes care of the lawn but that's about it.

How do wives deal with their husbands boredom? I've always heard that the wives can't stand it when the husband retires and hangs around all day...getting into their space...

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 02:44 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,274,548 times
I would deal with my husbands boredom by hopping on a cruise and leaving him at home.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:11 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,671,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
I would deal with my husbands boredom by hopping on a cruise and leaving him at home.
I agree. Find things to do and leave the old fart at home.......LOL

Old 04-28-2012, 04:29 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,370,302 times
No husband's boredom here. He plays golf and then more golf. He wonders how he ever found the time for a career.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:32 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,274,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
No husband's boredom here. He plays golf and then more golf. He wonders how he ever found the time for a career.
I'd watch those golf players if I were you.

My (soon to be ex) bf plays golf all the time too, seemed harmless until I found out they are out there on the green snorting drugs and drinking whiskey.

All old enough to know better too....

Old 04-28-2012, 04:39 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,489,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolcin View Post
How do wives deal with their husbands boredom? I've always heard that the wives can't stand it when the husband retires and hangs around all day...getting into their space...

What do you think?
I think one could also ask, "How do husbands deal with their wive's boredom?" Dang women hanging around all day....getting into our space....

Old 04-28-2012, 04:58 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,671,525 times
Quote:

My (soon to be ex) bf plays golf all the time too, seemed harmless until I found out they are out there on the green snorting drugs and drinking whiskey.

Whoa darling...back up on the drinking while playing golf.

Drugs are bad no matter what (unless a J)....but another subject.

There are more old drunks then there are old doctors...so let us have another drink......LOL

You are beginning to sound a bit like no fun. She can go on a cruise without the hubby but yours cannot play golf and drink with his buddies.

Look on the bright side (his or yours still debatable), but he is not with you.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:26 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,050,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I think one could also ask, "How do husbands deal with their wive's boredom?" Dang women hanging around all day....getting into our space....
This is one of the possible problems of downsizing your home in retirement. More time home and smaller space to be in.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:43 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,764,880 times
I'm not old enough to be retired but I would try this.....

Join a Sr. Citizen group in your area to meet other retired people and after getting to know them try inviting them over once a week to play cards or even an adult group game all like to play. Maybe everyone chips in something for little snacks or whatever. The same could be done with members of your church if you are church going people.

If he isn't allergic to animals and in good health maybe get a part time job walking dogs. Start with just one or two dogs a day or feed pussycats for vacationers away on long trips. Choose people who have nanny cams in their homes so you don't get accused of anything. There's also people who can't get their pet to the vets all alone on their own maybe looking into helping those people would keep him busy and show him how needed he is, not assuming he needs to feel needed it's just a nice bonus to help people and maybe get a little something in return.

Look for volunteer work. There are Sr. Citizens who don't drive and need to get to Doctor appointments. Maybe calling your local Municipal/County office for Sr. Citizens, aging or what ever it's called to look into helping out.

Quote:
LOL that is funny.

Last edited by Lolipopbubbles; 04-28-2012 at 05:45 PM.. Reason: MsAnnThrope making me laugh

Old 04-28-2012, 05:54 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,370,302 times
Quote:

Sorry to hear you ended up with a bad one. For me.. his golf is a reprieve. It gets him out of the house for a few hours and I get to do whatever I want. It's win/win for both of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement