Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 01:57 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I love what you said in your post, Minervah.

You state it perfectly and eloquently!

And very right on.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 02:16 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
For me, adjusting to life outside the work world has to do with a shift in energy. I think most people probably run on adrenalin during working years, to get up and out the door to work, work all day (some folks with few or no breaks), out the door at the end of the day to home or a bar or food shopping or eat out, home to clean up various messes and tend to kids/kids' homework/family, watch TV or whatever and drop off to sleep, only to wake the next day and however well or poorly you feel, start the whole thing all over again. (Makes me tired just thinking about all those years).

The downshift in energy can cause a body and a psyche time to adjust. It's taken me several years to realize I don't have to do anything, really, that I don't want to do. Projects begun in my middle years still hang around unfinished (mostly artistic) and I'm starting to become OK with that instead of being filled with remorse about not continuing or finishing them. Doing little or nothing has been very, very hard on me but to tell the truth often that is what I want. Today, Sunday, I just lay down under a tree at a campus park with my dog and we both did nothing for a half hour. When in my previous days did I ever do anything like that?

Being OK with leisure, and not feeling guilt, has been a huge adjustment for me. I'll accomplish things whenever I feel up to it, finishing things in the next lifetime if need be.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:52 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,239,528 times
I havent retired yet, but Im just a couple of years from there, hopefully. I remember when I was a kid, sitting around because I was so bored, no new toys (pre-computers). Id always need to go buy some new toy, make my Mom spend some money, because I was bored. Now that Im older, and waaay smarter, I find myself spending 3 hours this afternoon, sitting on my back porch, watching bluebird babies fledge in the pouring rain, poor babies. But it was time to go. I wont know til I get there, but I just can't imagine being bored. I enjoy doing too many things, watching nature, spending time gardening and walking my puppies. I enjoy computer time, reading forums like these, watching videos. Ive finally just gotten to the point where I dont feel guilty playing computer games, like its a huge waste of time, non productive. That took a while. For the most part, theres not enough time in the day for me to do all the things I enjoy.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:36 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
I havent retired yet, but Im just a couple of years from there, hopefully. I remember when I was a kid, sitting around because I was so bored, no new toys (pre-computers). Id always need to go buy some new toy, make my Mom spend some money, because I was bored. Now that Im older, and waaay smarter, I find myself spending 3 hours this afternoon, sitting on my back porch, watching bluebird babies fledge in the pouring rain, poor babies. But it was time to go. I wont know til I get there, but I just can't imagine being bored. I enjoy doing too many things, watching nature, spending time gardening and walking my puppies. I enjoy computer time, reading forums like these, watching videos. Ive finally just gotten to the point where I dont feel guilty playing computer games, like its a huge waste of time, non productive. That took a while. For the most part, theres not enough time in the day for me to do all the things I enjoy.
One thing I love about where we are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcxYwwIL5zQ

Old 06-24-2012, 04:48 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,496,591 times
I've been following this thread - but haven't said very much.

I am totally ok with having a routine that some might find boring. The opposite for me today was having to follow TS Debby - and developing a leak in my dishwasher. I like my normal day-to-day life - even if it's a bit rote. Robyn

Old 06-24-2012, 05:38 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,239,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
One thing I love about where we are.

Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah - YouTube
Oh man, now Ive got that song floating around in my head!!

Old 06-24-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
**it happens!

Old 06-25-2012, 06:29 AM

638 posts, read 1,595,146 times
Quote:

But what a great song to get stuck in our brains! I'd totally forgotten that oldie but goodie!

Old 06-25-2012, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryjane55us View Post
But what a great song to get stuck in our brains! I'd totally forgotten that oldie but goodie!
I find it particularly fun since the bluebird is our state bird and we have a large number of them nesting here. They are cute little critters and a joy to watch.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:17 AM

2,864 posts, read 1,809,208 times
Reading your Posts, brought to mind the article The Fine Art of Piddling. The act of passing time,without waste or regret is a cause well worthy of lifelong study.

An example given Doing a load of laundry is of course, not piddling. Organizing one's sock drawer by color and fiber is.

Guess I am a piddler; doing something just because I enjoy doing it, it not a chore. It could be rearranging the books
I have acquired, sorting the recipes I have clipped and saved.

My greatest suggestion for boredom, think of others, reach out and communicate with others. The Forum is great for
boredom and has been a great comfort for me.

For me too, just counting all the good things I enjoy i.e. living in this great country, having a choice to work or not work, to have friends or not have friends. So many folks would loved to be bored and do not have a choice. Bless to be bored if I choose!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement