Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 03:15 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,052,779 times

Advertisements

My husband is 66 and is planning on hiking the Grand Canyon with our sons in September....it is a good hike, we've done it before.

Women in my family live to see their mid 90's. My husband's Dad died in his 90's - I think we will be good to go for years to come but who knows....sometimes bad things happen and you just die...we aren't afraid of death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 04:29 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,262,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I was wondering, not worrying . . . just curious what the general possibilities might be . . . I know there is no average and no guarantees. I haven't been able to travel yet and might not have a chance for awhile so I was just pondering if the trips I had in mind in my fifties and sixties would even be possible in my seventies or eighties.
It is probably natural to wonder a bit. Hopefully you won't cross the line to obsessing over what the future may hold. As others have said, get out there and take those trips as soon as you can - now, if possible. With a any luck, you'll be able to continue to them into your 80s and maybe even beyond. That is an unknown, however. All we have is today, and if you feel like it and can afford it, enjoy life now.

There is of course, one more thing you can do: exercise regularly. None of us know whether and when we will be hit with a serious illness or have other breakdowns of our body. At its best, regular exercise can forestall, ameleoriate or even prevent some of these problems. At its worst, it will have no more impact than keeping us limber. Seems like a good deal to me.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:38 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,928,336 times
The topic of this thread is not about average life spans, the possibility of tragedy or sickness striking one . . . .it was simply wondering of the seniors who make it to ripe old ages, how many of them (what percentage, on average) might still be agile enough to travel . . .

I said nothing about "worry" and this is not a worry, just a curiosity.

Out of ten seventy, and then eighty year olds (they would be in different categories), what percentage, do you suppose, might be agile enough to do world travel?

Old 06-19-2012, 04:50 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:

Out of ten seventy, and then eighty year olds (they would be in different categories), what percentage, do you suppose, might be agile enough to do world travel?
Most.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:26 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
The topic of this thread is not about average life spans, the possibility of tragedy or sickness striking one . . . .it was simply wondering of the seniors who make it to ripe old ages, how many of them (what percentage, on average) might still be agile enough to travel . . .

I said nothing about "worry" and this is not a worry, just a curiosity.

Hmm. Expiration date doesn't equate to life span? Who knew?

I agree with NEG.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Hmm. Expiration date doesn't equate to life span? Who knew?

I agree with NEG.
I guess you just didn't bother reading the OP, where the premise was spelled out.

This isn't a popularity contest . . . doesn't really matter who you "agree" with.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:28 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
I agree with NEG and Curmudgeon, even tho it doesn't seem to matter to you that I do = which is weird - seeing as how you asked what we thought.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I agree with NEG and Curmudgeon, even tho it doesn't seem to matter to you that I do = which is weird - seeing as how you asked what we thought.
What are you agreeing with? I don't get it.

The OP is about the ". . . expiration date of functionality." I made it that way.

They are saying that "expiration date" means death . . .

I defined the term differently in the OP.

Why is this a contest?

Who care who agrees with who (or whom).

It seems so sophomoric to me to say "I agree with "x." ("They are right and you are wrong," basically.) Why would anyone bother to note that? What is the point?

If anyone wants to start a thread about the typical use of the term "expiration date," there is nothing stopping them. Why would three people attempt to derail my thread to argue with my terminology even after I took pains to explain it? Really, what are you getting out of this silly "argument?"

Old 06-19-2012, 07:53 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
What are you agreeing with? I don't get it.

The OP is about the ". . . expiration date of functionality." I made it that way.

They are saying that "expiration date" means death . . .

I defined the term differently in the OP.

Why is this a contest?

Who care who agrees with who (or whom).

It seems so sophomoric to me to say "I agree with "x." ("They are right and you are wrong," basically.) Why would anyone bother to note that? What is the point?

If anyone wants to start a thread about the typical use of the term "expiration date," there is nothing stopping them. Why would three people attempt to derail my thread to argue with my terminology even after I took pains to explain it? Really, what are you getting out of this silly "argument?"

No one has derailed your thread.

You asked:

To which NEG replied: MOST

Curmudgeon agreed with that - Most would be agile enough to do world travel.

I agree with NEG and Curmudgeon - Most of the people in the cohort groups you created would be agile enough to do world travel.

That means 3 of us have said - we feel most of the people in your proposed age groups would be agile enough to do world travel.

Then you got upset and gave me a lecture on popularity contests and starting new threads. ???

You got 3 people to give you answer. I don't understand what you are objecting to.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:55 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
I guess you just didn't bother reading the OP, where the premise was spelled out.

This isn't a popularity contest . . . doesn't really matter who you "agree" with.
And I guess you're mistaken as I did read it and the premise regarded the end of significant functions which might as well be the ultimate end or at least the end of life as most of us whould care to live it. And I also guess that snitty comments, such as you're wont to make when called on some of your rather far-reaching hypotheses are increasingly unnecessary. And I further guess that NEG is likely correct about when most will reach the stage you brought up and agreeing with her was not a matter of courting favor. It was a simply a matter of supporting her conclusion. Some might call that "conversation."

Have a nice evening, alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement