Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 04:32 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Good for you, (and your $2.00 hr job). I am very grateful to the many GREAT caregivers who dealt with my friends and relatives. They are MUCH appreciated by many, and make life in 'the-home' MUCH better for their charges and family.

THIS is one thing I found, the patients need an advocate or they will be ignored.
For sure. I worry that I won't have an advocate.

My poor mother was called names and told at night in the nursing home to pee in her pants when she asked for help getting to the bathroom. She told us the next day and we went right to the top and I think the person got fired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 07:04 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,495,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
BTW for those who are new to city-data, John serves the function of local newscaster. He posts articles, and the paragraphs he posts are the first paragraph in the article.
If that's the case then this person should create a quote using the features here or simply put quotation marks around the text. Otherwise, it's deceiving and elicits sometimes if not oftentimes irrelevant initial responses. This particular article is one in a long line of doom and gloom reporting on retirement forums. Not my cup of tea. Thanks.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:55 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,496,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
If that's the case then this person should create a quote using the features here or simply put quotation marks around the text. Otherwise, it's deceiving and elicits sometimes if not oftentimes irrelevant initial responses. This particular article is one in a long line of doom and gloom reporting on retirement forums. Not my cup of tea. Thanks.
I agree with you. I've been here for a while - and thought John 1960 was the guy who wrote the article. Robyn

Old 07-16-2012, 03:06 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
Pretty good (and somewhat poinent) article that likely describes the circumsances of many ALF and NH residents who are simply 'dumped' by their families. But, there are many really good ALF's and NH's that are run by caring people and maintain bright, friendly atmospheres and ammenities.

The big difference is whether the resident has someone who cares about them, to act as an advocate and keep an eye on things. Think of it this way, 'What if someone who didn't really care that much about your welfare, arranged an apartment or home for you ... based on surface impressions.' What do you think the probability would be that you would wind-up in a place you really enjoyed or even liked?

Additionally, many older people have somewhat of a 'One Flew Over the Cukoo's Nest' attitude toward ALF/NH's and, as one poster mentioned, tend to 'shut down' without really giving the facility a chance. Still, the reality is that many older folks can no longer care for themselves in their own home and don't have a situation where they can live with family (particularly true when later-stage dimentia/alzheimers kicks-in). Further, their perspectives of what is happeing to them or going on around them --- are often negatively biased/skewed by their mental condition. Again, a caring advocate/loved one is important!

(I've ministered in ALF's and NH's and have seen patients 'turn-around' when someone only shows a little personal interest. (For example, calling them by name, touching/hugging them, talking with them like they are still normal, viable people, caring about their condition and health) --The problem with many ALF's/NH's is not really with the facility at all, but, with negligent families who 'write-off' their elderly 'loved ones'.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:41 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Really trying to avoid going into one of these however, I'm trying to build the old war chest just in case.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:46 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
I agree! I've often thought he should use quotes, or a special font, or something that sets his posts apart. If you feel like it, this might be a suggestion you could make on the About CD forum. John is a fixture at city-data and posts on all the forums, so I think lots of people would be in agreement.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:56 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times
Sorry I didn't write this news article and I found this article interesting so I posted it. I also know of people that are in assisted living facilities and pay 4,000 dollars a month here in Tennessee. I don't plan on ever going into one these facilities anytime soon because I'm only 51.

Thanks, John

Old 07-18-2012, 03:11 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
This may sound silly to most but I can't imagine living anyplace without my pets. Sure, it's nice for people if dogs come visiting. It's pleasant for both dogs and humans.

But I need my own. I need their attention, their love, and their needing me. My privacy is very important to me as are my house and my other possessions. But all of those come after animals. Animals are wonderful and without them life would no longer be worth living. Since I can really only have my four-footed animals in a house I'll do whatever it takes to stay by myself in my own home.

Right now there's a big black cat with green eyes lying on the computer tower and staring at me; there's no way to put a price on that.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:54 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,481,166 times
John, I think the way the post shows up that you might be the 62 year old and you were giving us some info yourself. However, I had to go to the article to find that it was merely a quote that was not identified as such. I like to know what is the quote directly from the article and what is original material from the poster right up front.

Even simply putting the link first and then quoting whatever you want after the link is somehow more upfront.

ps: I have now learned that NEWS in the title should tell me that the whole thing is only regarding a news article. I do not find most articles from the news helpful or accurate. While I might get a gem or two from a few articles, I most often find them generic or downright wrong or slanted.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:02 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post

ps: I have now learned that NEWS in the title should tell me that the whole thing is only regarding a news article. I do not find most articles from the news helpful or accurate. While I might get a gem or two from a few articles, I most often find them generic or downright wrong or slanted.
Yup, if you see "News" in the thread title it's usually one of John's. John, since you're here--I've often wondered if you would like the roving reporter gif in the link below to start off your threads. If you'd like it let me know and I'll tell you where to find it. It's a copyright-free image that is ok to use on cd.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/14421743-post21.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement