Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 08:13 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times

Advertisements

"I have very simple tastes. I am satisfied with the best." - Oscar Wilde

Well ...

My dream situation would be a fabulous apartment in a luxury building on Rittenhouse Square with a great view here in Philly. A winter home as a waterfront condo in Fort Lauderdale within a walking distance to Las Olas Blvd. A summer cottage either in Provincetown on Cape Cod or in Ogunquit, Maine. All of these places would have fully stocked bars with premium wines and spirits, a hot tube and jacuzzi, gourmet kitchens with stainless steel top of the line appliances with marble - not granite - countertops.

How is that for starters???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 11:40 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
I awake each morning beside the one I love. We're healthy - or at least pain-free - and content. We eagerly anticipate the day to come.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:52 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,606,291 times
When I was young (teens) I said to myself, all I need to be happy is money for gas and a cheap place to stay...as I get into my 50s I still think that's all I need...being able to drive somewhere (anywhere) and stay someplace new...(car and hotels, not RV)

Old 11-25-2012, 04:05 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
"I have very simple tastes. I am satisfied with the best." - Oscar Wilde

Well ...

My dream situation would be a fabulous apartment in a luxury building on Rittenhouse Square with a great view here in Philly. A winter home as a waterfront condo in Fort Lauderdale within a walking distance to Las Olas Blvd. A summer cottage either in Provincetown on Cape Cod or in Ogunquit, Maine. All of these places would have fully stocked bars with premium wines and spirits, a hot tube and jacuzzi, gourmet kitchens with stainless steel top of the line appliances with marble - not granite - countertops.

How is that for starters???
Marble is heat-sensitive and scratches easily.

Old 11-25-2012, 04:12 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,452,471 times
Quote:
It is their CHOICE to go work for some place like Walmart. When you know the kind of crap that Walmart dishes out to their people and you still choose to work there, whose fault is that? For me, I'm sidestepping the issue. I vowed a long time ago that I would rather dumpster dive and eat Alpo then to spend my retirement years working for Walmart or anyone like them. It was bad enough to have to put up with it the first 49 years of my working life to have to take it in my retirement.
Utter bull****. When it's one of the only games in town - and you have been laid off from a good job - sometimes you have to do anything to keep food on the table. Ditto for all the other low wage jobs.

Walmart is responsible for putting people on assistance - because most people cannot feed a family on their pithy wages.

If you have never been laid off from a good paying job - and have had to accept lower wages just to keep from starving - you have no dog in the game.

Old 11-25-2012, 04:14 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,942,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Marble is heat-sensitive and scratches easily.
I used an Iron ore slab from Brazil, beatifically " marbled" with gray and red swirls.Harder than granite.

Old 11-25-2012, 04:22 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,942,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
Utter bull****. When it's one of the only games in town - and you have been laid off from a good job - sometimes you have to do anything to keep food on the table. Ditto for all the other low wage jobs.

Walmart is responsible for putting people on assistance - because most people cannot feed a family on their pithy wages.

If you have never been laid off from a good paying job - and have had to accept lower wages just to keep from starving - you have no dog in the game.
And have you seen the huge profits the Walton Family receives, its shameful ! I see liveable wages in private enterprise when ever we can have it, but for one Company so large, that they control the marketplace, well, its time to break them up. ! We used to have laws against predatory pricing, and outright monopolies. I think those days will come back, if only to haul the corporate greed that runs over any thing or anybody that gets in their way.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:48 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,606,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
And have you seen the huge profits the Walton Family receives, its shameful ! I see liveable wages in private enterprise when ever we can have it, but for one Company so large, that they control the marketplace, well, its time to break them up. ! We used to have laws against predatory pricing, and outright monopolies. I think those days will come back, if only to haul the corporate greed that runs over any thing or anybody that gets in their way.
Costco operates with a much better philosophy of paying their workers decently with good benefits...Walmart is Exhibit A of one of the most greedy unethical examples of capitalism at its worst...just a regular person's viewpoint who has never worked at Walmart or Costco but cannot understand why Walmart's executives are such heartless soulless idiot savants....

Old 11-25-2012, 08:08 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
[quote=fumbling;27087679]Costco operates with a much better philosophy of paying their workers decently with good benefits...Walmart is Exhibit A of one of the most greedy unethical examples of capitalism at its worst...just a regular person's viewpoint who has never worked at Walmart or Costco but cannot understand why Walmart's executives are such heartless soulless idiot savants....[/QUOTE

You might find the following interesting. When the story first came out it created a stir on Wall Street. An analyst argued that Costco was over paying employees, giving them to much in the way of benefits and not charging customers enough all to the disadvantage of the share holders.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/17/bu...ted=print&_r=0

Old 11-25-2012, 11:15 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
My dream situation:

Good health when my wife and I are in our 70's. A nice place to live would also be good. Being able to retire would be nice.

However, the most important think is good health. If you have good health, you've got the world no matter whether you have to work or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement