Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 11:04 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,449,100 times

Advertisements

When my wife and I worked, if we wanted to get together with friends, or go out for a show and/or dinner, it was almost a foregone conclusion that it would be a Friday or Saturday night. We had to get up too darn early for work to make it anything other than those two nights.

Since we retired, the only time we have anything going on Friday or Saturday nights is (1) that's the only time our working friends are available, or (2) the show we want to go and see is only available one of those two nights.

Otherwise, we do things during the week. On weekends - when most people are out - we're hunkered down at home. And that's one of the best things about being retired. I would MUCH rather not go out those nights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 11:09 AM

83 posts, read 101,423 times
I have been retired for 20 years and every night is Friday or Saturday night. I have no problem with ever being bored and don't hold Friday or Saturday as being symbolic of anything. During my working years perhaps, because it was the time when friends did not have to work the next day and could raise hell and party. We're all retired now and raise hell and party when ever we choose.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:10 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,350,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I think I'm just going to start planning better instead of leaving weekend nights to chance. I'm not a TV watcher and reading on a Fri/Sat night seems to me a lonely thing to do. Some of my friends plan their calendars to the Nth degree, every time slot is accounted for. That's not my style, but I could do better as sure as night follows day, Fri and Sat always come around.

Ok, so you are not inclined to plan out every minute, not your thing... yet, if you have not planned anything... you are unhappy. It's kinda like the ... where do I retire... what state, every state etc.

I'm not sure why things must be different in retirement than when someone is employed. If having something to do on weekends is so important than I would imagine that that is what you plan for. It seems such things in life would follow that same course whether retired or not. Yes? No?

If you don't care to plan every moment like some of your friends, then plan to do something with them every other weekend so you are not bored, unhappy whatever, with free time on the weekends.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:20 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,321,648 times
The wife and I have been retired for 10 years. Friday night and Saturday and Sunday we never leave the house except to walk the dogs. Sometimes we buy a movie from Dish or we grill out, We also do most of the around the house chores so that Monday through Friday mid day we can go shopping, out-to-eat and go to the movies at noon.

Old 09-02-2012, 12:01 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
If you want something to do every weekend, why not take a class or join a group that meets on Friday nights? Not only would you have Friday covered, you'd also have a new group of friends to do something with on Saturday nights.
Good idea, but there are no classes, college, U, or otherwise, that meet on Fri night. At least around here. Fri night here is considered "sacred" for special events or going out on the town.

Old 09-02-2012, 12:05 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Ok, so you are not inclined to plan out every minute, not your thing... yet, if you have not planned anything... you are unhappy. It's kinda like the ... where do I retire... what state, every state etc.

I'm not sure why things must be different in retirement than when someone is employed. If having something to do on weekends is so important than I would imagine that that is what you plan for. It seems such things in life would follow that same course whether retired or not. Yes? No?

If you don't care to plan every moment like some of your friends, then plan to do something with them every other weekend so you are not bored, unhappy whatever, with free time on the weekends.
I don't take these questions quite as seriously as you do, nor am I so hard on myself as you would perhaps like me to be. Things are different for me, personally, since I retired because when I was working I had those nights easily covered - I had to be at concerts or other events nearly every weekend night.

BTW, I got over the what state do I retire to some time ago.

Old 09-02-2012, 12:45 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,630,701 times
The same thing I did when I was working: Stay Home!

Old 09-02-2012, 01:04 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
Quote:
Good idea, but there are no classes, college, U, or otherwise, that meet on Fri night. At least around here. Fri night here is considered "sacred" for special events or going out on the town.
No art classes or yoga classes or anything at all at the local Y or community center? Does the center close down on Fridays? If not, go do whatever activity that's going on--it doesn't have to be an official class, it just has to be something you go to on a regular basis. Your library probably knows of a book club or two that meets on a weekend. If Friday night is sacred for local football games, go to meetup.com and find a group that goes to the games.

Or try a group that goes to a new restaurant every week. I see that on September 8th, the Eat Up! Restaurant group is going to Tavern on the Hill in Easthampton. Why not give it a try? You could probably find a Friday night poker game or a Friday night trivia night at a local bar--go every week and you'll be hanging out with a group. Amherst has a group called Spice of Life that is for people over 40. They do things on Friday nights. There's also a group called Ira's Singles Events for People Over 40 that goes out on Fridays. They're advertising an event Friday September 7th. Why not try one of these?

Old 09-02-2012, 01:07 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
Not much of a crowd or people person, so I didn't go out on Friday and Saturday nights when I was working - not about to start now. When I lived in the city, going out to dinner on the weekend meant having reservations and waiting 30-45 minutes anyway to eat in a crowded and noisy restaurant.

As a retired person, my preference is going out for a long late lunch, around 2-3pm. Serves as lunch AND dinner, no one is in a hurry, the noise levels are down. We can take our time, have a cocktail before, linger over tea and coffee after without the staff wanting to turn the table.

Most weekend gatherings out this way with the families who are still working are during the day, anyway. We both have our separate music jams that we go to, and those are usually 2 weekends a month.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:26 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,350,110 times
Quote:
I don't take these questions quite as seriously as you do, nor am I so hard on myself as you would perhaps like me to be. Things are different for me, personally, since I retired because when I was working I had those nights easily covered - I had to be at concerts or other events nearly every weekend night.

BTW, I got over the what state do I retire to some time ago.

So, actually, you really aren't looking for anyone to take their time to reply to you in a thoughtful manner. You essentially were just bored and wanted to tell someone. This is worthy of starting a thread?

Instead, maybe it would have been more effective for you to go into a "chat room" somewhere and vent your boredom. This might have helped you pass some of that time. Just sayin'.

Very happy to hear you are over the "where to retire". Whew...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement