Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 01:33 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,583,293 times

Advertisements

If a woman is in her 60's or 70's and single, I think it is pretty easy to find oneself home and/or alone on some or many Friday and Saturday nights.

I think it is just something to get accustomed to and comfortable with, and to know that many others in society share this and are also home and/or alone on some or many Friday and Saturday nights.

One could put concerted and strong effort into making sure one is not home on weekend nights, but if not, I think it is just something to become accustomed to and comfortable with. But if becoming comfortable with it is not possible and results in depression, anxiety, boredom, self-doubt, then I'd say finding alternatives is in order.

But just know that there are plenty of single women in their 60's or 70's or 80's who are home on weekend nights too, so don't feel as if you are different in that regarrd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 01:46 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post

But just know that there are plenty of single women in their 60's or 70's or 80's who are home on weekend nights too, so don't feel as if you are different in that regarrd.
You got that right--just look at how many people are posting away on city-data. Friday nights are busy here.

Old 09-02-2012, 02:20 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,508,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
But you'd missing something.
Miss what?

Old 09-02-2012, 02:23 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,508,595 times
I will be travelling around the world in retirement with my private jet.

Old 09-02-2012, 02:47 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
BTW, I got over the what state do I retire to some time ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Very happy to hear you are over the "where to retire". Whew...
I guess some time ago = July.

Tempt Me to Move Challenge

Old 09-03-2012, 08:23 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
No art classes or yoga classes or anything at all at the local Y or community center? Does the center close down on Fridays? If not, go do whatever activity that's going on--it doesn't have to be an official class, it just has to be something you go to on a regular basis. Your library probably knows of a book club or two that meets on a weekend. If Friday night is sacred for local football games, go to meetup.com and find a group that goes to the games.

Or try a group that goes to a new restaurant every week. I see that on September 8th, the Eat Up! Restaurant group is going to Tavern on the Hill in Easthampton. Why not give it a try? You could probably find a Friday night poker game or a Friday night trivia night at a local bar--go every week and you'll be hanging out with a group. Amherst has a group called Spice of Life that is for people over 40. They do things on Friday nights. There's also a group called Ira's Singles Events for People Over 40 that goes out on Fridays. They're advertising an event Friday September 7th. Why not try one of these?
Good ideas all, will look into it. Last night DP and I were at a party (our movie group) and we talked about the Fri-Sat night thing. We decided to try out a once-a-month card party. Few of us know how to play cards, but we all remember Poker. We could probably do this as a round-robin potluck. The movie group doesn't meet every month but during the winter we ought to do that.

As for classes, nada. At the library we have a social one Fri each month but it's over by 7:00. That leaves a lot of time afterward - and I may just have to plan going to a movie right after that. I'm not a late-night person, so being home by 10 works for me.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I guess some time ago = July.

Tempt Me to Move Challenge
That was a fantasy challenge - and created one week before I learned I am going to be....a grandma

Old 09-03-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
.....just look at how many people are posting away on city-data. Friday nights are busy here.
Yep, especially through northern winters, lol.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
So, actually, you really aren't looking for anyone to take their time to reply to you in a thoughtful manner. You essentially were just bored and wanted to tell someone. This is worthy of starting a thread?

Instead, maybe it would have been more effective for you to go into a "chat room" somewhere and vent your boredom. This might have helped you pass some of that time. Just sayin'.

Very happy to hear you are over the "where to retire". Whew...
What's with the superiority attitude? Many people on CD relocation threads are looking for other places to retire (duh). What are you on here for, to criticize others?

BTW, your reply was not thoughtful. Others, like Caladium's, are.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:49 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
FWIW, not everyone here feels every single thread topic has to be profound. We're not writing an encyclopedia here, this forum is more like a group of people who stop in their neighborhood bar to see friends, get some info, and enjoy some conversation. I enjoy all the informative threads here, but I also enjoy the trivial musings and every day conversation--and I often find the "trivial" threads surprisingly thought provoking. Sometimes I even pick up a handy tip from them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement