Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2012, 08:22 PM

6,885 posts, read 11,254,137 times

Advertisements

Well, as many know, it's been a rough few years for my husband (and me). Our daughter lives in NYC doing the 20's thing, single, good job, lives in Manhattan by herself, etc. Tons of her South Florida friends live there also - most are also single. She and most of her friends fly home for the Thanksgiving week.

However, this year, she said - why don't you come up here for 5 days and then we'll all fly down on Friday?
(Day after Thanksgiving)?

In theory, I'd love to do this. What scares me is the flying and the threats now coming from the Mideast.

Holiday time might be a targeted time; maybe not (more security?) - what do you think?

I'm not a great flier but I've gotten better and I've flown a lot more in the past 10 years than prior to that. I just wish Virgin Airways flew to NYC (LOL). I also prefer flying at night - the later the better.

Our son would stay with our daughter - her place is only a 1 bedroom but we'd have to stay somewhere but I'm sure I would be able to find something. We love the Hotel Andaz and it's right around where she lives (FiDi).

For those of you who have travelled on holidays, what do you think? I also am concerned about my elderly FIL who would be alone (he would not want to go) - I would hate to think of him being alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 08:33 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,539,723 times
I don't think I would worry about some sort of terrorist act happening around Thanksgiving. Hubby and I were on some of the first planes off the ground after 9/11/01 and even tho the security was hell (I was the one always chosen to have every item on my person searched) -- I knew security folks were on their toes so I didn't worry about an "incident" even though I definitely was aware of the possibility.

If anything, I believe security will be BETTER due to the threats right now.

The only thing that would hold me back would be my FIL . . . is there anyone who can check in on him while you are gone?

ETA: Hubby and I have done a lot of traveling at holidays since 9/11. . . and the best day to travel is the day of the holiday itself, as long as someone is picking us up at the airport. We have traveled on Thanksgiving day evening, Christmas Day, New Year's Eve, New Year's Day . . . and highly recommend it if you can work it out. Cheap tickets and less people to deal with.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:15 PM

Smile Well, that might be an idea

Fly to NYC on Saturday - take advantage of 5 nights there - I checked the hotel - prices are awesome - I was surprised - I'm used to SoFL pricing (tourist season) so I'm aware.

We could fly to Fort Lauderdale (car at airport - no problem there - easy breezy), then go take FIL out to dinner - might be a GREAT idea!!

Wow, anifani, what a great thought.

We could see part of the parade in the day too.

Thanks!! You may have "solved" my dilemna.

I'm a mom who likes to keep everyone happy!!

Old 09-17-2012, 10:30 PM

5,592 posts, read 8,415,007 times
The day before Thanksgiving is the worst day for travel, as far as crowds and traffic go. I don't know about the day after in terms of air travel, but traffic is a nightmare that day (black Friday). Thanksgiving itself would probably be your best bet.

I wouldn't be worried about terrorism as much as the crowds, long lines, and hassle of holiday travel. But that's probably just me.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:13 AM

Smile The last time.....

last time we ever travelled on a holiday was Memorial Day, 1986 - we met my in-laws and their friends in the Keys (Florida) for Memorial Day weekend. While it was fine, everyone was to leave on Memorial Day. We sat 8 hours in traffic with a 2 year old!!!

My husband said never again and it has held true all these years.

So, I remember - and well.

Our son works in a restaurant - it would be hard for him to be off around that time. I'm thinking of going the week before Thanksgiving - I wonder when the lights go up.

I would us all to be together - "the original 4" so to speak. Maybe next year, they'll both be in relationships.

(What happened to my husband has derailed all our plans for a few years - so maybe now we can all start living).

Old 09-22-2012, 05:28 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,557,218 times
There's also Amtrak if the flying bothers you too much. Nice train ride..2 days and you can get yourselves a compartment if you don't want coach and sleep in a bed overnight.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:33 AM

16,489 posts, read 24,495,163 times
I think you should go, it will be fun I am sure. If you stop and thinks that there are thousands of flights all over the world every day, what are the odds that a terrorist attack would happen or even happen on a plane? It would be a nice change of pace for you to go visit your daughter. As far as your FIL, have a neibor come by once or twice a day to check on him.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:30 AM

210 posts, read 382,899 times
I would definitely go if you can. We started traveling as a family to meet up during the holidays. It is so much fun.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:02 AM

737 posts, read 2,589,429 times
You can celebrate Thanksgiving anytime during the year. This year we are celebrating in October since we'll be traveling during American Thanksgiving.

To edit: best travel day is the holiday itself, cheaper is what we've found; which is why we'll be traveling during American Thanksgiving. My wallet has also been thankful during Christmas Day, Eve, New Year's Eve - a lot more flexibility and have found great prices in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement