Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 12:40 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,527,747 times

Advertisements

You do know that smart phones provide tools to allow only certain friends, like Barbara, to make your phone audibly ring, and that they really have nothing at all to do with call waiting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I just always felt the ringing of a phone to be intrusive and it's funny because part of my job has always been customer service. Maybe that's why.

Another thing I won't do is use the call waiting feature. I find that to be really rude. Neither does Barbara.

I have a friend who would answer her call waiting and leave me hanging while she chatted a few minutes with the second caller. The second time she did that to me I hung up on her. She never did that again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 05:22 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,028,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
You do know that smart phones provide tools to allow only certain friends, like Barbara, to make your phone audibly ring, and that they really have nothing at all to do with call waiting?
They are called smart phones for a reason.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:56 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,629,266 times
It's the same thing with the instant messaging on the internet...people get mad if you don't go online when they are online so they can talk to you. I keep my cell phone (basic flip phone) off too and I don't log into the messenger services! They try to
control you any way they can! I only have one phone..my cell prepaid..it's my only phone so I need it. I got this so I'd have a phone in the car for emergencies too. I pay $80 a year total. And it stays off most of the time!

Old 11-07-2012, 09:05 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,739,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlelu View Post
It's the same thing with the instant messaging on the internet...people get mad if you don't go online when they are online so they can talk to you. I keep my cell phone (basic flip phone) off too and I don't log into the messenger services! They try to
control you any way they can! I only have one phone..my cell prepaid..it's my only phone so I need it. I got this so I'd have a phone in the car for emergencies too. I pay $80 a year total. And it stays off most of the time!
On the contrary, I find text messaging very effective, and consider it an excellent way of keeping in touch fast, especially in an emergency. When my husband was on the hospital 2500 miles away, he would text me to tell me that it was a good time for me to phone him. I wouldn't be able to keep in touch with our son very well at all without SMS, since he keeps a very different schedule than I do, and often does not pick up on his cellphone.

Last edited by Wwanderer; 11-07-2012 at 10:28 AM..

Old 11-07-2012, 02:13 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,629,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
On the contrary, I find text messaging very effective, and consider it an excellent way of keeping in touch fast, especially in an emergency. When my husband was on the hospital 2500 miles away, he would text me to tell me that it was a good time for me to phone him. I wouldn't be able to keep in touch with our son very well at all without SMS, since he keeps a very different schedule than I do, and often does not pick up on his cellphone.

I never mentioned text messaging, I was talking about online messaging programs.
All of this is up to the individual. I'm not gonna be a slave to any of these devices including a phone.
I was just adding my 2 cents and my own personal experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement