Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 07:55 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,281,046 times

Advertisements

My father drove until he passed away at 86; he would take trips up and down the east coast by himself with no problem. He loved being able to get go places when he wanted to and not when the service was available. I think keeping a car is an individual thing. The best thing would be to retire into the community and keep your car for say a year and see if you need it or not. If you get rid of it right away, you might regret the decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 01:35 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,369,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I agree; however, you will live longer than you will drive.
It's all a gamble. Same can be said about whether or not to collect SS at age 62 or 66.

Our plan for aging is counter-societal. We are in our early 60s and currently live in a 55 plus. As stated in my previous post, what makes it tolerable is that we can drive out of here. By the time we reach our 70s, should this be the 'plan of the land', we'll move to a non-age-specific condo, more citified and within walking distance to what we need with public transportation to take us into Boston.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:39 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times
I think one of the greatest things one can do for themself as they age is plan accordingly. I don't feel all of us are going to have the option to drive our entire life. I'm renting this year in the larger of the Retirement Communities in the USA. The Del Webb Sun Cities Communities in NW Metro Phoenix. They are very nice and well taken care of, but I see major problems for a person as they age.

There is no way to get anywhere but to drive. Other than calling a cab. Getting from Point A to B was never addressed. No community shuttle and this is a community of some 30000 residents at this time of year. There are several Sun Cities all adjacent to each other. So the combined population is over 100000. No shuttle and to add to that. The Public transit of Phoenix which is very limited, does not service all its suburbs including this one. So every day I see all these elderly people driving about in cars and golf carts. It can be as you can imagine a very dangerous place to drive or walk. The average age in this commuity is almost 76 and you wil see people well into thier 80's and 90s driving here. They have no way to get around but to drive, and many would drive even if there was a way to get around. Many of these people have absolutely no business behind a wheel. They do not have the capacity to drive safely. I can't tell you the amount of times, I have come close to being hit crossing a street here. Or times I walk to the Safeway grocery store and they do not look before entering or exiting the parking lot.

The Del Webb developers that built these communities were looking for a certain market. The higher income retiree that could purchase a home and fend for themself. There was no consideration for later years and when people could not drive. Yes there are shopping, medical, recreation facilities on the premises, but many live several miles from them and drive. That and many that could walk I think basically are lazy, and would not drive across the street if that is the distance. I walk all over the premises here but that is how I have lived all my life. I'm use to large Metros and suburbs with transit and walking option. They look at me like I'm a whacko because I will walk and leave my pickup in the garage. I think to myself well you know what I think but I can't say it here. Did I mention I'm renting this year. I won't be here next year. This doesn't fit my lifestyle and I'm 63 now and not ready for this baloney at all.

So I think for many that live in large retirement communities in distant suburbs. Yes you will need a car. I'm 40 miles from the Phoenix airport. If I take a private shuttle company. It is just about $100 RT. There is no other way to the airport from here, but drive and then pay the high parking rate. If I want to go to the one mall that is 9 miles from here. I have to drive. No public bus. I can't walk off the premises because Arizona has built inself to strictly drive. So its a combination of problems, that would make it a necessity to own a vehicle at least here. Just no way to get around. Retirement developers are basically looking to make money, and that is why they target higher income retirees. Most have no interest in transit or shuttles and want to drive. Even if they are 90 years old and legally blind. They still drive. We have them here I know that for a fact.

So for me I have to have some form of transportation where I retire. That and the artificial retirement life in these communites ,seems very limted unless one has a personality for it. I just don't think the retirees I am seeing in these communities would be considered your average retiree. They sure as hell don't seem to watch thier pennies, like you would associate with retired people. Multiple homes, and cars and golf carts. Cruises, vacations all year. No they don't sit in the back of a bus. They drive a Crown Victoria or a brand new Honda Accord, Lexus. Or a new Ford Mustang that they look ridiculous in trying to get out of it since its so low.

So I recommend if you want to get rid of a vehicle in retirement. Pick and choose carefully a Metro that offers that lifestyle. There are not may of them in the USA. You will not find that type of life in large retirement communities. They are very suburban to exurban. When there in the sunbelt states which most are. Then your dealing with states that don't believe in any type of transportation, other than your personal vehicle.

So pick and choose carefully. I am so thankful I rented because I wasn't sure of what life was completely like in this type of lifestlyle. You never really know until you try it.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:00 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
You will need a car to escape. We live in a 55 plus and it's heaven to drive out those gates and see young faces, see popular shows, eat at quality restaurants, visit friends, family, etc., etc... I can go on and on. If you can fill your life playing Hand & Foot (card game), water aerobics, sewing, etc. then maybe you'll do okay without a car. Most 55 plus will provide occasional bus excursions to various local events. To me it's one big 24/7 red hat society. It depends on your personality and your sense of individuality and adventure. I'd die without my car.
I have a two-part question for you just to satisfy my own curiosity...

As I recall, you've been living in a 55+ community for about 18 months now and you must have posted at least 18 times how much you dislike it. Given your feelings, why on earth did you ever move to a 55+ community in the first place; and more importantly, why are you still there?

Life is short. Move to a community where you won't feel you need to escape your house and neighborhood to enjoy yourself.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:45 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Think about the assumptions that go with that.
I was meaning to be optimistic.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:13 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I'm renting this year in the larger of the Retirement Communities in the USA. The Del Webb Sun Cities Communities in NW Metro Phoenix. They are very nice and well taken care of, but I see major problems for a person as they age.

There is no way to get anywhere but to drive. Other than calling a cab. Getting from Point A to B was never addressed. No community shuttle and this is a community of some 30000 residents at this time of year. There are several Sun Cities all adjacent to each other. So the combined population is over 100000. No shuttle and to add to that. The Public transit of Phoenix which is very limited, does not service all its suburbs including this one. So every day I see all these elderly people driving about in cars and golf carts. It can be as you can imagine a very dangerous place to drive or walk. The average age in this commuity is almost 76 and you wil see people well into thier 80's and 90s driving here. They have no way to get around but to drive, and many would drive even if there was a way to get around. Many of these people have absolutely no business behind a wheel. They do not have the capacity to drive safely. I can't tell you the amount of times, I have come close to being hit crossing a street here. Or times I walk to the Safeway grocery store and they do not look before entering or exiting the parking lot.

The Del Webb developers that built these communities were looking for a certain market. The higher income retiree that could purchase a home and fend for themself. There was no consideration for later years and when people could not drive. Yes there are shopping, medical, recreation facilities on the premises, but many live several miles from them and drive. That and many that could walk I think basically are lazy, and would not drive across the street if that is the distance. I walk all over the premises here but that is how I have lived all my life. I'm use to large Metros and suburbs with transit and walking option. They look at me like I'm a whacko because I will walk and leave my pickup in the garage. I think to myself well you know what I think but I can't say it here. Did I mention I'm renting this year. I won't be here next year. This doesn't fit my lifestyle and I'm 63 now and not ready for this baloney at all.
What a nightmare. I would never find myself in such a place. Sounds like a great sci-fi novel by Margaret Atwood, ripe for a movie. I send you good wishes for your escape.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:19 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I agree; however, you will live longer than you will drive.
Then that is the time for assisted living type communtiy ;not a normal 55 community.But I think the question was give up because of maintainance and expense ;not health or other reasons.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:03 PM

419 posts, read 758,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I think one of the greatest things one can do for themself as they age is plan accordingly. I don't feel all of us are going to have the option to drive our entire life. I'm renting this year in the larger of the Retirement Communities in the USA. The Del Webb Sun Cities Communities in NW Metro Phoenix. They are very nice and well taken care of, but I see major problems for a person as they age.

So I think for many that live in large retirement communities in distant suburbs. Yes you will need a car. I'm 40 miles from the Phoenix airport. If I take a private shuttle company. It is just about $100 RT. There is no other way to the airport from here, but drive and then pay the high parking rate. If I want to go to the one mall that is 9 miles from here. I have to drive. No public bus. I can't walk off the premises because Arizona has built inself to strictly drive. So its a combination of problems, that would make it a necessity to own a vehicle at least here. Just no way to get around. Retirement developers are basically looking to make money, and that is why they target higher income retirees. Most have no interest in transit or shuttles and want to drive. Even if they are 90 years old and legally blind. They still drive. We have them here I know that for a fact.

So for me I have to have some form of transportation where I retire. That and the artificial retirement life in these communites ,seems very limted unless one has a personality for it. I just don't think the retirees I am seeing in these communities would be considered your average retiree. They sure as hell don't seem to watch thier pennies, like you would associate with retired people. Multiple homes, and cars and golf carts. Cruises, vacations all year. No they don't sit in the back of a bus. They drive a Crown Victoria or a brand new Honda Accord, Lexus. Or a new Ford Mustang that they look ridiculous in trying to get out of it since its so low.

So I recommend if you want to get rid of a vehicle in retirement. Pick and choose carefully a Metro that offers that lifestyle. There are not may of them in the USA. You will not find that type of life in large retirement communities. They are very suburban to exurban. When there in the sunbelt states which most are. Then your dealing with states that don't believe in any type of transportation, other than your personal vehicle.

So pick and choose carefully. I am so thankful I rented because I wasn't sure of what life was completely like in this type of lifestlyle. You never really know until you try it.
I live in Sun City, AZ (the original Sun City). I moved here this past Spring and couldn't be happier. Having lived and worked in Arizona for 33 years, I was quite familiar with the community. I personally would never consider living in Sun City West or Sun City Grand. Those two communities have a completely different vibe than the original Sun City.

For 28 years SCAT provided transportation services to the residents of Sun City and I think they may have had a contract to provide services in Sun City West. Unfortunately in 2010 their bid for services was declined by Valley Metro who is the provider of transportation services in the Sun Cities. Here is the article: Sun City to lose area transportation service

I see the green Discount cab vehicles everywhere transporting the disabled to different locations. Almost from day one the Sun City Homeowners Assn. has recognized that the change in transportation service is not adequate. Supposedly, they are working on a solution.

Access to public transportation is good if you do not have to have a medical procedure that requires you to have a person staying on the premise to drive you home. These procedures do not allow for you to arrive via cab, bus or other public transportation. So, you better have a network of family or friends to accompany you and drive you home. Luckily, I have met people that I can depend on from my involvement in just one special interest club here in Sun City.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:06 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,369,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I have a two-part question for you just to satisfy my own curiosity...

As I recall, you've been living in a 55+ community for about 18 months now and you must have posted at least 18 times how much you dislike it. Given your feelings, why on earth did you ever move to a 55+ community in the first place; and more importantly, why are you still there?

Life is short. Move to a community where you won't feel you need to escape your house and neighborhood to enjoy yourself.
Easy answer... Because we love, Love, LOVE the Cape! We love having no maintenance. We love feeling safe. It wasn't a mistake, we like being back in MA, we love being able to get into Boston, we love everything about it here, excepting the hokey activities. Part 2.. We're still here because of the above reasons and because we are earning equity in our house. Yes, life is short, we travel often, we see our family and our friends, and it's the best of both worlds. Most importantly, we never move anywhere thinking it's forever. We have vagabond souls and we're already planning our next plunder, somewhere else in MA. The planned activities... eh.

Monday we will drive north to spend a few nights with our family and celebrate Christmas. We don't care if it snows, someone will shovel and salt our driveway and walkway. We don't care about our mail, it will be collected and saved for us. Yesterday, men came around with ladders and cleaned our our gutters. We have absolutely no maintenance worries. There's good and bad wherever you live and I believe the OP asked about the need for a car. My answer was, "Yes, you'll need a car to escape unless you're into games, gossip, and sitting on your butt."

Thank you, however, for being such a follower that you've actually counted how many times I've posted my feelings here on C-D.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:38 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,481,166 times
my mominlaw moved here 6 months ago and gave up her car. She says she misses it sometimes but at least the community has a 6 day a week bus to all kinds of shopping and close places. They also have onsite exercise and she can walk to the drug store, doctor and, if she wanted, the big mall. I think she saves $100-$200 per month in car expense.

We are close and see her 1-2 times a week and check to ensure she has whatever she needs. Another neighbor of hers likes to take her shopping so she gets out and about with that neighbor also.

Very few retirement places have such an extensive daily bus schedule. Mom could get on the city bus but it is very limited and drops her off a mile from our house, but she could go downtown if she wanted.

Sort of depends on what you need and enjoy. I like the freedom to shop wherever I want. I will give up a car when I can no longer see to drive. It helps that it is affordable for me too.

She is 80 and could still drive but felt uncomfortable in a "big" city. She had lived in her own little town for 80 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement