Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 07:23 PM

1,381 posts, read 2,306,761 times

Advertisements

I looked at all those issues and took the pension reduction for 100 % survivors benefit s for my wife ...it was about a 10% reduction
With out taking the survivors benefits our health insurance ended at my death
I had a slight concern about the insurance company going out of business
The premiums were quite a bit more than the reduction so that made it a no brainier
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 07:25 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
How long will the life insurance policy be for? Say you retire at 62 and your spouse is 60. You take the higher pension and purchase a 20 year term policy. So at 82 if you and your spouse are still alive can you buy another policy? If you can not and die at 83 what happens to your 81 year old spouse?
That is another part of the discussion. How long do you expect your spouse to live and what is their current health? Folks I knew didn't necessarily expect their spouse to out live them. Is the purpose of not doing survivor and doing life insurance to help you or your spouse? If they pass before you, you still have your full pension and can cancel the insurance and the payments. Think about it.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:54 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,431,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
How long will the life insurance policy be for? Say you retire at 62 and your spouse is 60. You take the higher pension and purchase a 20 year term policy. So at 82 if you and your spouse are still alive can you buy another policy? If you can not and die at 83 what happens to your 81 year old spouse?
What we are looking at is a combination of policies, 20, 25 years, and universal life to age 95. If the rates are what is expected, it would save money each year. Just did a quick calculation and it looks like a 16% differential on mine between taking the survivor benefits or not. Someone mentioned the cost of premiums going up and that was also a concern of mine but I was told they would be set for the duration of the policy. I still need to check regarding healthcare however as that is something I had not thought about.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:15 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,627,203 times
How much insurance can you purchase for the difference in the pension?

Old 01-17-2013, 08:25 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,790,621 times
I chose the insurance option. I bought a permanent lifetime policy.

The difference was significant. The insurance premium was MUCH less then the survivor option.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:44 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
I chose the insurance option. I bought a permanent lifetime policy.

The difference was significant. The insurance premium was MUCH less then the survivor option.
Yup. The insurance option also gives you the eventual nest egg for the surviving spouse IF they know how to manage it. How much and for how long will it last at what drawdown and roi rate? Lots to consider and what ever works for each person after reflection is probably the best move as you know. I liked the crusise control aspect of taking the survivor option along with the 62/70 SS.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Yup. The insurance option also gives you the eventual nest egg for the surviving spouse IF they know how to manage it. How much and for how long will it last at what drawdown and roi rate? Lots to consider and what ever works for each person after reflection is probably the best move as you know. I liked the crusise control aspect of taking the survivor option along with the 62/70 SS.
Okay, for the naive here, explain what you mean by 62/70 SS. I know we are looking at holding out as long as we can before taking SS and I have a very small grasp on it from one workshop but also need to get up to speed on that too.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:59 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
What we are looking at is a combination of policies, 20, 25 years, and universal life to age 95. If the rates are what is expected, it would save money each year. Just did a quick calculation and it looks like a 16% differential on mine between taking the survivor benefits or not. Someone mentioned the cost of premiums going up and that was also a concern of mine but I was told they would be set for the duration of the policy. I still need to check regarding healthcare however as that is something I had not thought about.
I would be extremely surprised if your financial advisor suggests that you purchase life insurance in lieu of a survivor annuity. Unless, of course, he sells life insurance.

A couple of things to keep in mind when making the decision: For one, the amount that you are "paying" for the survivor annuity is off-the-top before taxes, so you wouldn't have an equivalent amount of money to pay for life insurance. IOW, if your pension is reduced $8,000 to provide a survivor annuity, your W-2P will just show the reduced amount. However, if you decide against the annuity and want to purchase life insurance, that extra $8,000 will be on your W-2P and you'll pay income taxes on it. Consequently, you may only actually have $6,000 net in which to pay for the life insurance; not the full $8,000.

Secondly, if your pension is indexed for inflation, the survivor annuity is as well and needs to be factored into the discussion. Therefore, over time, the difference in value between the survivor annuity and the life insurance payout becomes more pronounced. IOW, if for example you purchase a life insurance policy today for $500,000 thinking that would be plenty of money, at an inflation rate of only 4%, that policy will only be worth 1/2 as much in 18 years. But the "face value" of the survivor annuity will have doubled during that time, thus keeping pace with inflation.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:43 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Consequently, you may only actually have $6,000 net in which to pay for the life insurance; not the full $8,000.

Secondly, if your pension is indexed for inflation, the survivor annuity is as well and needs to be factored into the discussion. ..... "face value" of the survivor annuity will have doubled during that time, thus keeping pace with inflation.
Leave it to MM to add grist to the mill. Just me, myself and I, so survivor benefits aren't a consideration. It is, however, thought-provoking and informative reading. Thanks to all on this thread for keeping my brain cells alive.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Leave it to MM to add grist to the mill. Just me, myself and I, so survivor benefits aren't a consideration. It is, however, thought-provoking and informative reading. Thanks to all on this thread for keeping my brain cells alive.
Same here. Glad I posted the question. Gives me something to think about and to share with DH who is not into CD at all other than what he hears from me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement