Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 12:57 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,632,328 times

Advertisements

Like many baby boomers, 63-year-old Beth Thomas feels her age. Each passing year brings more aches and pains. Old injuries have started grumbling again. Fingers that were once supple are often stiff and sore.

Boomers aging worse than past generation - Health - Health care | NBC News

I'm 50 so that would make me a younger boomer and I'm minus any aches and pains so far. I do believe this study because I see lots of folks my age and older who look like death warmed over. Too much food and not enough X-er-cise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 02:49 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
I think about my parents and their friends at my age and can sincerely say - my friends and I look better and have less chronic problems (or at least - no more) than my parents' friends and others I knew in the community . . . so I think this is just more sensationalism from writers who are looking for very low hanging fruit to fill editorial calendars, lol.

I keep asking - where are all these miserable Boomers? I just don't know them.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:13 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,134,122 times
I think that it was too much exercise. THis is the generation that ran so much and other fanatic exercising to stave off growing old, foolish people. Anyway not they find they need new knees and new hips and all sorts of other things.

I DO think that the Boomers are aging worse than the preceding generation. Obviously does not apply across the board but as a general statement yes I think they are and will be worse.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:22 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I think about my parents and their friends at my age and can sincerely say - my friends and I look better and have less chronic problems (or at least - no more) than my parents' friends and others I knew in the community . . . so I think this is just more sensationalism from writers who are looking for very low hanging fruit to fill editorial calendars, lol.

I keep asking - where are all these miserable Boomers? I just don't know them.
Totally agree, as I've noted before. I wrote long and thoughtful responses to this claim the last five times it came up, so I don't really feel like doing it again. Essentially it all boils down to what Ani said. The media can print these scare stories designed to attract readers all they want, I don't buy it because it doesn't match my particular experience or observation. Might buy the claim that we've spent too much time exercising, though. Not that I'm gonna stop, exercise is my habit and it's too late to break the habit now.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:37 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,495,383 times
Yes, it's not just that the media circulates these things to stir interest, but too many people fall for the ploy ... and believe the stories.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:56 PM

1,873 posts, read 2,407,942 times
It's not the media, and there's no right answer.

If you go looking for miserable people, you'll find lots of them, 'misery loves company.'

If you go looking for happy people, you'll find lots of them too, they naturally gravitate to others.

Anyone here who doesn't know some folks who are almost always happy AND some others who are almost always miserable? And haven't changed as long as you've known them?

Last edited by Midpack; 02-05-2013 at 04:08 PM..

Old 02-05-2013, 06:08 PM

501 posts, read 1,296,339 times
It didn't resonate with me and counters what I remember of how people in this age group looked or behaved when I was younger (of course, iirc, we thought everyone >30 was on death's doorstep. I remember people looking a lot older and being far more sedentary in the main (exceptions of course). Memories could be flawed, though, but this NBC report wasn't esp. convincing to me.

The article claimed one reason boomers are aging worse was that the number of people with high cholesterol has doubled in a single generation. But there was no mention that we've drastically lowered the number for what is considered too high, so in part, we count more people having this condition just because we changed the definition. Nor any mention that the population of people in this age group is far larger than in the last generation. I didn't look at the source material, and I grant it is hard to believe it wouldn't have been accounted for, so maybe the writer was just lazy.

Another reason given that boomers are aging badly was that 10% more people in this group are obese than in the last generation. Again, no mention that we've changed the official numbers for the definition of obesity as well, which has increased the number of people considered obese now who wouldn't be in that category in the last generation.

And so on. It just seemed a bit underwhelming in the proof department to be arriving at the conclusion it reached.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:13 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
its a mix. i am very healthy. retired for last 5 years. planning on living longer too.
im a boomer. but i am not typical.
most are big eaters and hate exercise not good.
but if you want to see true slobs look at y generation,
75% of y generation unfit for the draft.
i can excuse an old slob but harder to do so for one 20 years old.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009...itary-service/

Old 02-05-2013, 06:19 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I amnot sure of this like amny articles based on stats. i can well remmber senior when I was a kid. Sure mnay wre not classified as disabled but mnay would be by today standards.Bascially it doesn't mean that people didn't wearout joints etc ;its just that they considered it noraml and continued working. Jobs where much mroe disablig then because of such hard labor much of which has been chnaged by technolgy.I eman how long as it been since you saw guys with a shovel doing repaving of a roadway. Its mostly machine assisted now.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:45 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
64+ years old here, and am weary, tired, and disgusted by articles such as this.
It doesn't take much effort to maintain flexibility and strength.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement