Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 08:24 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,505,946 times

Advertisements

On the way home from work this evening iding the elevated train rI was listening to National Public Radio on my iPod Nano. And, surprise ... surprise. There was a feature report about and interview with Sari Gilman, the woman behind the Academy Award nominated documentary movie "Kings Point - A Tale of Love, Loss and Self Preservation." (In 'Kings Point,' The Sunny Promise Of Retirement Gathers Clouds : NPR). Gilman's mother lived at Kings Point.

I haven't seen the movie, but given the many discussions we have on this forum about 55+ communities, and in particular those communities in South Florida ... I thought I'd post a link to the interview, the movie website and to a preview of the movie appearing on You Tube.

Movie Website

Kings Point Movie | An Award-Winning Documentary Film

You Tube

Kings Point Trailer - YouTube

I'm going to seek-out the movie on HBO where, apparently, it was broadcast, to see when it next appears. From what I saw in the 'trailer,' it reminded me of the building I live in in Chicago. Once again, I have the opportunity to see my future ... before I live it. LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 09:23 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,427,780 times
I heard the same show on NPR yesterday, and was very intrigued about the movie. I did a little looking online, and the documentary will air on HBO on March 11.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:30 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,505,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
I heard the same show on NPR yesterday, and was very intrigued about the movie. I did a little looking online, and the documentary will air on HBO on March 11.
Thanks for the 'heads up.' I'm going to be out of the country, in Brazil, then ... but I'm going to assume that the movie will be repeated on HBO and be available as part of my "On Demand" service from Comcast Cable.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:19 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,993,124 times
Since from what I've seen I already know it's like this in this kind of environment, I have no desire to see the movie. Imagining a better world for us in old age takes a lot of planning and careful choices now. We may not be able to avoid isolation, but there are a few things we can control, like determining to not exist like a vegetable or old prune when the world can be still vibrant for us (even in health failures).

Old 02-20-2013, 11:27 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,076,228 times
We are certainly giving much thought and effort (Hey, living right, eating right, etc., takes alot of effort.) to trying to set the table to be able to grow old in place, or at least as far as we can ride that train. When we are being realist though and not romantics, we know a day will come....

Old 02-20-2013, 04:08 PM

6,885 posts, read 11,259,738 times
Smile Kings Point

Well, I live about 20 minutes away from Kings Point.

I had never been there, seen it, never been in there until one of my husband's parents' friends passed away and they had the gathering after the service at Kings Point. Well, I had never met any of these people but the ones I saw were positive and fun - most likely because this person was - all her friends lived right there, too.

With this group, I didn't see the negative, complaining types, however, I know what this movie is talking about.

This could be why I had a negative view of retirement.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:35 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,115,788 times
Looks interesting, but at the same time I could just as easily film a documentary in Kings Point featuring other people and painting it in a completely different way. Every place will have a mix of upbeat people and depressed people.

Imagine someone deciding to do a documentary about the people who post in this forum. We have our share of helpful people, cheerful people, crabby people, lonely people, people who are full of baloney, and people who get their kicks out of putting other people down. You could portray this forum in many different ways just by choosing which one of us to interview.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:58 AM

171 posts, read 209,468 times
Could this be a better way? Is quality more important than quantity?

The 'Rock Till Ya Drop'... cool idea for retirement?

Party yourself to death... sure seems to beat the alternative.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:40 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,993,124 times
"Starting over in an unfamiliar place" (NYT) is the question we all face in older age. When we retire, do we leave the familiar community and network of place in which we have lived for years or decades, to follow the relocation dream toward sunnier lifestyle climates? Works for some, but ending up completely alone far from family and longtime friends is not for everyone. As much as I wanted to escape northern winters, I came to my senses and realized that I am not a good candidate for relocation. My history is here, my remaining family (one and soon to be two sisters), three of my adult kids, two new grandchildren, and numerous friends. How could I have traded that social security for a possibly better winter? I had to do a lot of exploring and envisioning before I decided to stay put.

Isolation is in every aging person's chart. What can we do now, while still relatively young, to build and strengthen our social networks to hedge our bets? That is the question that will undoubtedly emerge from watching this rather depression film, the contents of which I am unfortunately familiar with (other elderly family members living far from their home base at retirement).

Old 02-24-2013, 04:30 PM

150 posts, read 298,261 times
This documentary is up for an Oscar tonight in the short documentary category. I wish I had HBO so I could see it when it plays in March.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement