Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 08:48 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,221,356 times

Advertisements

Minneapolis had Alex and His Dog, a nice old Norwegian guy that talked with an accent and sang songs with his dog, like Way Down Upon the Swanson River.

Axel and His Dog, July 10, 1955 - YouTube

Then there was Casey Jones with Roundhouse Rodney for lunchtime. We would walk home from school and eat lunch with Casey and everyday he would sing his own Happy Birthday song and read a list of kids names that the parents sent in.

Happy Birthday Song by Casey Jones - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 09:02 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,342,596 times
Looking at these posts, and their wealth of locally-produced, wholesome shows for kids, certainly tends to support those of us who remember the 1950s as a kindler, gentler time.

I don't know when I've enjoyed a thread more.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:57 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,878,774 times
On PIX 11, in NYC. Anyone remember Capt. Jack Mc Carthy and Officer Joe Bolton? He announced three stooges, Addams family, bozo, and the munsters.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:51 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,128,576 times
I could never stand Bozo but I loved watching Sheriff John (remember Crusader Rabbit and the birthday song?) and Engineer Bill.

When I was in college a group of us sent our names and birthdays to Sheriff John's Lunch Brigade. It was fun to hear them once more after many years.

Looking through the thread I had to add Soupy Sales, Ding Dong School, and Webster Webfoot. Not to mention Shock Theater on Friday nights. I used to sneak up to watch that one.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:28 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,357,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skelaki View Post
I could never stand Bozo but I loved watching Sheriff John (remember Crusader Rabbit and the birthday song?) and Engineer Bill.

When I was in college a group of us sent our names and birthdays to Sheriff John's Lunch Brigade. It was fun to hear them once more after many years.

Looking through the thread I had to add Soupy Sales, Ding Dong School, and Webster Webfoot. Not to mention Shock Theater on Friday nights. I used to sneak up to watch that one.

You weren't one of those kids who sent him the "little green pieces of paper" were you?

I heard about what he said that day, but I wasn't home to see it. I don't think his show was on for a while after that.

For those of you who don't know/remember, it was New Year's Day (1964 or '65 I think), and he asked the kids to go in their dad's pockets and mom's purses and send him those green pieces of paper (MONEY)...it was a joke, but it got him suspended (and almost fired).

Old 02-19-2013, 05:43 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,959,151 times
"There's a wonderful place that I'm longing to see called the Land of Hatchy Milatchy."

In Scranton PA, when we moved there in 1968, Hatchy Milatchy came on daily and was really geared to the very young. Miss Judy was the host and she dressed in costume looking very much the Disney-style princess.
Later in the day, there was a movie with gerbil-races during the breaks. And a corny magician whose name escapes me.

I remember living in the Phila suburbs back in the '50s when TV didn't begin broadcasting until late afternoon. My brother, while waiting for his show to start, would sit and watch the test pattern! Good times.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:44 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,878,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
You weren't one of those kids who sent him the "little green pieces of paper" were you?

I heard about what he said that day, but I wasn't home to see it. I don't think his show was on for a while after that.

For those of you who don't know/remember, it was New Year's Day (1964 or '65 I think), and he asked the kids to go in their dad's pockets and mom's purses and send him those green pieces of paper (MONEY)...it was a joke, but it got him suspended (and almost fired).
OMG? Really? I never heard that. I was 4 at that time, but I did love Soupy....

Old 02-21-2013, 02:08 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,128,576 times
No, I didn't send Soupy any "little green piece of paper" LOL. By that time I was definitely old enough to know better (either senior year boarding school or college freshman depending on which year).

Hmmm. come to think of it, either way Daddy was sending lots of "little green piece of paper."

Old 02-23-2013, 11:23 PM

302 posts, read 474,400 times
I grew up in San Diego. We had the Johnny Downs Show. He played cartoons, and he used to dance on top of a milk bottle. There was also "Uncle Russ", who I seem to remember hearing really didn't care for kids at all. And there was Shane, who lived in a barrel. I got his autograph at the San Diego County Fair in Del Mar. I still have it in a photo album!

I wanted to watch Crusader Rabbit, but my mom wouldn't let me because she thought it stupid. That still crabs me off to this day.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:42 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,539,370 times
Mixed feelings here. Although I remember and enjoy idealized TV nostalgia as much as the next guy, the 50's weren't as kind or good to me as they were to you. Both the 1970's, and so far, this decade, were/are far kinder. Namaste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Looking at these posts, and their wealth of locally-produced, wholesome shows for kids, certainly tends to support those of us who remember the 1950s as a kindler, gentler time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement