Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 07:33 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times

Advertisements

Next thing you know, there will be a study that says cigarettes are good for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 10:38 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Next thing you know, there will be a study that says cigarettes are good for you.
Ahhh, the plot for the 1973 movie Sleeper. Woody Allen is a health food store owner who wakes up in the future and the first things they hand him are a cigarette, a huge steak and I think a chocolate sunday. When he protests they laugh at him and tell him they are all good for him.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:23 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
On the news today an announcement was made regarding older men
and pos tmenopausal women. It seems taking vitamin d and calcium
supplement do NOT prevent bone fractures. So what do we do?
Next they'll have a study that shows vegetables are bad and
exercise makes you fat.
I will continue to take them thank you. Do they help? who knows, but these studies are often based on very little research. As long as what we are taking isn't going to harm us, I will continue to take what makes me think is helping. You are right, what is next?

Old 02-27-2013, 01:30 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,548,139 times
They have done the same thing with coffee. First it's bad for you then it's good. Wonder who is paying for all these studies - what a waste of time and money - In the issue of coffee - The most recent news I saw was if you drink 2 cups of coffee a day you stand a 35% less chance of developing Alzheimers. I have always enjoyed 2 cups a day, so I guess i'm covered for that one. The rest of the studies I take with a grain of salt.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:33 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
On the news today an announcement was made regarding older men
and pos tmenopausal women. It seems taking vitamin d and calcium
supplement do NOT prevent bone fractures. So what do we do?
Next they'll have a study that shows vegetables are bad and
exercise makes you fat.
I think people who get a lot of exercise should be charged more for insurance. Who's always getting the bad knees, tennis elbows, broken bones from skiing, eh? Not couch potatoes.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:17 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
I started doing my own research on nutrition, supplements and complementary medicine over 30 years ago-- before the terms "complementary" and "alternative" medicine existed. I shared my research in various publications. My friends and family were often skeptical about my findings, suggestions, and recommendations. I quit trying to convince folks a long time ago about popular topics that I thought were misrepresenting the reality and instead concentrated on myself and my family, putting what I learned into effect as I could.

Once I started working with hospitals and physicians three decades ago, I realized that there are usually limited approaches as to how the system handles healcare issues: prescriptions or surgery -- imaging and testing. Often, it is a matter of trying different protocols in hopes something works.

Anyway, I avoid physicians and medical care in general, recognizing that sometimes it is absolutely necessary to get medical intervention, and the earlier, the better (most cancers, some degenerative diseases, cardiac issues, diabetes, etc)

Most info about supplements and pharma in general is hooey, imho, but I don't talk to people about that nor do I try to convince them that research shows that vitamins and minerals and all those other supplements are basically excreted from the system and can cause other problems that didn't exist b/f the consumption of those products. The industry is huge and even very informed people will believe taking a vitamin, for ex, is actually helping them. And it might--depending on the method of delivery -- i.e, B12 injections.

I had to laugh at the egg controversy years ago as cholesterol in does not relate to cholesterol production in the body--our bodies are one big chemistry lab. It ain't that simple.

Anyway, I am convinced that the best healthcare is eating the right foods, getting some physical exercise daily, taking good care of mouth, gums and teeth, taking the least amount of medication possible, finding as many alternative methods as we can for pain management (aspirin is the best anti-inflammatory but it can cause bleeding issues). Spend 20 minutes outdoors daily for your vitamins (metabolism requires sunlight for some) and on cloudy days, spend 40 mins. This will eliminate SADD for most folks, stimulate better sleep, as well.

Balancing exercises, yoga, tai chi--all good for the musculoskeletal system, helping regulate heartbeat and control stress and pain. Coffee helps neuron receptors connect, so if a person enjoys it--enjoy it in moderation. Same for wine. I limit hard liquor but enjoy a cocktail occasionally.

Do what makes you feel good--what works for you. Some disease management relies heavily on medication. But--make sure you have all the facts before relying on every pill you are prescribed. For example, you may have high blood pressure, but if you lost weight, would your blood pressure also lower? Do your research and make sure that the meds are the only alternative b/c sometimes, changing our habits or lifestyle may eliminate the need for some meds.

Remember all the problems we used to hear about with ulcers? Meds, surgery, a lifetime of horrible problems-- and when someone discovered the culprit in most cases was h. pylori, the medical establishment (and pharma!!) refused to embrace the testing for many years. I suggested to a friend back in the 80s that he demand h. pylori testing and his doc didn't even know about the research.

And now, we have Barretts syndrome, wh/ is directly related to taking meds for indigestion.

Please read and consider what is right for your particular situation. Don't be swayed by "the latest info" until you have done your own research and weighed the evidence. Sometimes, simple solutions are right in front of us: losing weight, eating right, getting daily physical exercise (walking and swimming are the best). Ask questions but don't blindly accept.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:29 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,964 times
When there's a drug, food, drink, or vitamin that comes to the market that can keep me alive and healthy forever, then I'll be interested.

Until then, I'll just continue ignoring all the other gobbledygook.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:45 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,548,139 times
I am especially incensed by the ads now on TV for pushing these tiny bottles of liquid "energy". All it is - is a huge dose of cafine. They seem to be pushing them on the young people. Very sad indeed

Old 03-01-2013, 01:56 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,544,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Spend 20 minutes outdoors daily for your vitamins (metabolism requires sunlight for some) and on cloudy days, spend 40 mins. This will eliminate SADD for most folks, stimulate better sleep, as well.
Where I live, I go to work in the dark and come back home in the dark during winter. I used to have a winter funk until I started taking vitamin D-3 on a regular basis. In general, I agree supplements mostly flow out your body, but I do think your body absorbs what it needs from them.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:58 PM

419 posts, read 656,480 times
Did our ancestors take all these vitamin - no. So why would it be so great to take them? They do nothing for you. Go ahead and flush your money down the toilet if you want but I won't spend my money on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement