Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 05:07 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
So what's the "new 30?" -42?
From the standpoint of life milestones experienced by the typical middle of the road person (as opposed to biological aging), 30 is the new 18, 50 is the new 30 and .... 75 is the new 50!

Unless of course one is lucky enough to be a 1%er ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 06:35 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
The Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, The Universe, and Everything

Old 03-08-2013, 03:13 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
From the standpoint of life milestones experienced by the typical middle of the road person (as opposed to biological aging), 30 is the new 18, 50 is the new 30 and .... 75 is the new 50!

Unless of course one is lucky enough to be a 1%er ....
Well my body has six decades plus four years on it. Today I feel every year of it. I must have missed the boat when the youth genes got handed out. I do not feel five years younger let alone 25 years younger, lol. I am still working with the book Younger Next Year for Women, but today (cold, windy, grey, bleh) after coming in from errands I'm just staring at it on my coffee table, vegging out.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:34 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,369,132 times
72 will be new the new 30 when they find a way to ease aching joints, grow hair where it belongs and keep hair from growing where it doesn't belong. What makes me feel old is the way doctors treat me. I can't have a significant ache anymore, in their book it has to be a precursor to something deadly. I'm tired of being scared into believing that every cough deserves a chest xray and every bout with nausea means cancer. Why can't I just have a cold or a bug?

Old 03-08-2013, 05:56 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
I'll post something nice.

About forty or more years ago I read an article in the Denver Post Sunday magazine about a couple in their seventies who rode their bicycles every nice day. Today that activity is so common it wouldn't warrant a word.

People of seventy or even much older today just don't seem as old as they did when I was a boy. My grandmother who was in her seventies when I was growing up didn't even go shopping by herself. but it didn't just change. My eldest aunt who worked until her late eighties drove until the day she died at 97. She used to go to New York twice each year to buy clothes when she was in her eighties. She died in 1993. She graduated from college in 1917. For over sixty years she'd meet a grup of her sorority sisters at the Kentucky Derby every year.

I won't assign any particular age formula but it seems that this phenomenon started years ago and simply has manifested itself more with the passing years.

We're called technophobes but there are millions of us on the internet. My father was born in 1903 but he haad worked with computers. He was online and had email before most people knew what either were. The internet is fifty years old.

Forty was once old, then fifty, then sixty, etc. But there are plenty of us functioning as well as we did forty years ago. So what if we can't run as fast or cross-country ski as fast. But go to a downhill ski area or just look at the drivers on a highway. There are plenty of old ones performing just as well as the young ones.

I can hike up a seven hundred foot hill with my dogs. I'm sure that plenty of younger people and even some older than I could do it faster, but so what? It's interesting about dogs as well. They're living longer and having better lives. My older one who's almost fourteen had laser treatment for arthritis is running again and scrambling up. He often chases my nine year old as if he's a puppy.

I saw a picture of a classmate from university days. He looked like he was dead but he's still doing academic stuff that generates articles about him.

Even if you can barely walk or not walk at all it's fine. You can still drive, use the internet, and manage your own money.

I don't know if it's modern medecine, better nutrition, better attitude, or some combination but I sure don't feel old. I'm going to live my life whether I have thirty hours or thirty years.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:48 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Well my body has six decades plus four years on it. Today I feel every year of it. I must have missed the boat when the youth genes got handed out. I do not feel five years younger let alone 25 years younger, lol. I am still working with the book Younger Next Year for Women, but today (cold, windy, grey, bleh) after coming in from errands I'm just staring at it on my coffee table, vegging out.
My own biological age is a mixed bag. As I approach the half century mark in some ways I look and feel younger than my years (mainly due to never having kids) but the stresses of long work hours and multiple failures to meet milestones (financial depth and breadth, marriage, home ownership) on a timely basis versus previous generations have taken their toll. I really worry about early onset of dementia in particular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement