Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 10:10 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times

Advertisements

MG120: Wonderful information. SC isn't as cheap as I had thought. I am going to be on a very limited budget in the place I move to, so maybe SC should be off the list.

Where are you thinking about moving to? Would you say Greenville would have pretty much the same expenses as Columbia? Gee whiz. We can't live anywhere anymore without alot of $$$$. I am discouraged now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 10:31 AM

6,594 posts, read 7,090,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
MG120: Wonderful information. SC isn't as cheap as I had thought. I am going to be on a very limited budget in the place I move to, so maybe SC should be off the list.

Where are you thinking about moving to? Would you say Greenville would have pretty much the same expenses as Columbia? Gee whiz. We can't live anywhere anymore without alot of $$$$. I am discouraged now.

Here are a couple of websites that could help

www.taxfoundation.org

Taxes by State

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 03-22-2013 at 07:09 AM..

Old 03-12-2013, 10:38 AM

863 posts, read 795,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post

Some things in the upstate will be less, some more. Each counties taxes are different, so from that aspect, I looked at a typical 4/2 house in the city limits of Greenville. Its listed for 149K and its taxes are just over 900 dollars for the year.

Utilities will probably be a bit less, cooler in the summer, colder in the winter. Vehicle taxes, etc will also most likely be less.

If you get out of the city and into the county a bit, then I would imagine it would be significantly less. And I love the upstate of SC, just tired of the politics.

My Mother lives in Prescott, and we would love to live in Sierra Vista, as I am retired military. We are also considering Florida and Tennessee.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG120 View Post
Some things in the upstate will be less, some more. Each counties taxes are different, so from that aspect, I looked at a typical 4/2 house in the city limits of Greenville. Its listed for 149K and its taxes are just over 900 dollars for the year.

Utilities will probably be a bit less, cooler in the summer, colder in the winter. Vehicle taxes, etc will also most likely be less.

If you get out of the city and into the county a bit, then I would imagine it would be significantly less. And I love the upstate of SC, just tired of the politics.

My Mother lives in Prescott, and we would love to live in Sierra Vista, as I am retired military. We are also considering Florida and Tennessee.

Florida and Tennessee do not have income tax on pensions.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:17 AM

863 posts, read 795,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
Florida and Tennessee do not have income tax on pensions.
I know, I was refering to different counties within SC, as I was asked.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:44 PM

797 posts, read 1,344,383 times
The Clemson area I researched was more reasonable $$$$$$$$$$$$ than many other more popular areas of SC

( cooler in summer,also )

Old 03-12-2013, 01:12 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:

www.taxfoundation.org

Taxes by State

I think the col is more inportant than the overall all tax charts because different taxes apply to different situations. I know if we had used the tax chart as a guide we would most likely not have moved here, but we used the overall col charts as well. We are in a lower tax bracket so do not get hit hard with some taxes plus an example: AR gives a huge propberty tax break to seniors for starters. Also something that needs to be considered is cost of housing: that is probably the number 1 expense other than medical when we reach retirement age. Medical is another thing to pay attention to, comparing things like dentists from one state to another.

Something else to remember and this is a biggy: the studies that show good places to retire normally change every few months or from one publication of government dept to another.

The best way, as well as, doing research, asking on places like CD is to visit..Visiting just gives a person a feel for what might be right for them.

Last edited by Yac; 03-22-2013 at 07:08 AM..

Old 03-12-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think the col is more inportant than the overall all tax charts because different taxes apply to different situations. I know if we had used the tax chart as a guide we would most likely not have moved here, but we used the overall col charts as well. We are in a lower tax bracket so do not get hit hard with some taxes plus an example: AR gives a huge propberty tax break to seniors for starters. Also something that needs to be considered is cost of housing: that is probably the number 1 expense other than medical when we reach retirement age. Medical is another thing to pay attention to, comparing things like dentists from one state to another.

Something else to remember and this is a biggy: the studies that show good places to retire normally change every few months or from one publication of government dept to another.

The best way, as well as, doing research, asking on places like CD is to visit..Visiting just gives a person a feel for what might be right for them.

I agree exactly. That is why all three websites. The first one is a seniors/retirement website that looks at many aspects and has links to other things to consider. The second just breaks down each state and puts out the down and dirty tax information. The third is the Cost of Living by Sperlings. It will also give you census data dealing with hospitals, quality of life, crime, neighborhood income levels, ethnicity of particular neighborhoods.

In no way was I advocating any particular state or not . I have my idea of where I want to retire and for my reasons . In no way do I want to sway anyone's opinion . I think though there are many reasons that people live where they live . If everyone decided to go to Miami FL , it certainly would not be much fun anymore . As Gary Colman said Different Strokes for Different Folks ? Okay maybe not him but someone said it .

Old 03-12-2013, 03:18 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,817,498 times
Clemson is a nice area. I though very seriously about going to college there (but didn't). That was long ago. But the times I've been there since, I could see someone considering retirement in that area.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:33 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:

www.taxfoundation.org

Taxes by State
These are helpful and represent different perspectives. Thanks!

Last edited by Yac; 03-22-2013 at 07:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement