Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 08:12 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
"Most" people, perhaps, but I was talking specifically about the "concern". Significant numbers of Americans were indeed concerned, and indeed hoping that they could still work, because they needed the money. My father, for example, was still working in 2008, at the age of 71. Among my wive's aunts and uncles, three of those were still working, all three over 75. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, in 2000, 27.8% of those 65-69 were still working; 16.5% of those 70-74; and 7.4% of those 75-29.
Thanks for the clarification. I understand you perfectly now. The stats from 2000 are interesting. Who would have guessed such high percentages?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 10:15 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
Drinking single malt whisky while riding a bike sounds fun
It is, but don't drink too much. One time I had to walk my bike across a bridge on a sidewalk because I wasn't steady enough on that narrow sidewalk.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:42 AM

6,594 posts, read 7,091,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
It is, but don't drink too much. One time I had to walk my bike across a bridge on a sidewalk because I wasn't steady enough on that narrow sidewalk.

I am picturing myself riding through the gated community neighborhood and going so slowly that the bike falls over on one of the neighbor's lawns. I yell out HELP. I have fallen and I can't get up!! With a bottle of Jack.

Old 03-31-2013, 01:58 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,787,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty78 View Post
The first time I retired I was 40......thought it was great for the first 3 to 4 years...after that I worked part-time here and there...taking time off as necessary to see if I could adjust to retirement...I even tried living in Hawaii for a few months only to find out that I might have to go back to work if I wanted to make it permanent...

At 53 I went to work full time again......mostly because I chose to stay in good old Tax-em till they die New York......which I plan on permanently correcting in July of this year when I retire once again and move to Florida......

In my second retirement...I will be buying my house for cash and will have no other expenses other than taxes and utilities......hence I will be able start taking those long bike rides again, spending more time at the gym, the beach, the occasional vacation to an even warmer climate...and volunteering at a local animal shelter...

Going with my title "Hope You're Saving For Retirement"......if you are not...you will never be able to retire......Uncle Sam sooner or later will be taking a larger tax bite out of our paychecks......Social Security age's will increase...perhaps the starting age will be 66 instead of 62......you just don't no what is going to happen......so along with your survey...you hopefully are putting alittle more than something away so you can afford to retire in 20 or so years....
Great post exactly what I was looking for. My hubby just finished his first retirement at 42. Have one kid at home. I'm a worker (workaholic type by nature) and have the potential to work as many hours a week as I want. Honestly, most retirement money that I've accumulated so far has gone to raise three children. For those who don't have children, you may want to google the cost of raising children. I have a few small retirement accounts. At this point funding my retirement will be my main expense for the next 15-20 years.

I didn't intend this thread from a financial view point, more so a time management perspective. Thanks.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:10 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
I am picturing myself riding through the gated community neighborhood and going so slowly that the bike falls over on one of the neighbor's lawns. I yell out HELP. I have fallen and I can't get up!! With a bottle of Jack.
This is what you need then..can come to a complete stop and still not fall down
You even have a nice basket in the back for a cooler full of ????

Old 03-31-2013, 02:54 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,452,471 times
I actually want to do nothing for about the first 6 months to a year - just because I can - then I'd like to contribute back - in some way - because I think we will be way more fortunate than most folks not having to work until we drop.

I never received a degree in my young years - which really didn't stop me from making a living - and the thought crossed my mind perhaps this might be a great time to do it in something that actually develops into a career. Distance ed programs are flourishing and I have an interest in vet medicine. Don't know that this will pan out - but if I could swing it - it might be alot of fun.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:36 PM

6,594 posts, read 7,091,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
This is what you need then..can come to a complete stop and still not fall down
You even have a nice basket in the back for a cooler full of ????

Perfect! I cannot wait to try it out. Will you park it out at Hill Country Retreat for me?

Old 04-01-2013, 11:47 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
When working conditions and people become a pain, time for you to go, Grasshopper! There is much world outside the walls. Snatch the pebbles from my hand and be on your way. Then breathe!

Old 04-01-2013, 01:09 PM

125 posts, read 228,256 times
Every once in a while when I'm stressed out at work, I take a minute and daydream of what I would rather be doing. The ideas come pouring out like a good hard long **** after a few beers on a hot summer day. The point being that the sky's the limit as what you can do on any given day during retirement. From the simplest pleasures in life, to a highly elaborate planned out activity. We're all different and our interests vary, so its a matter of taking the initiative of being proactive in finding out what your day, week, month, year will be like for it to be the most enjoyable for you. Its your retirement.

Old 04-01-2013, 04:29 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Here's the way I see it...what you had to rush through to get done on your day off or the weekend can now be done at your leisure because there's no rush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement