Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 11:27 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,977,255 times

Advertisements

When women strove to look beautiful ~ remember our mothers and grandmothers?

Dressing down a culture for refusing to dress up - CBS News

I was so struck when I was in Italy a few years back that older and old women dressed up, many in hose and heels, to go to the grocery store. Of all shapes and sizes as we age, are we too old to dress up, or are we going to go around in sweats and shorts with baggy tops?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 11:39 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,207,141 times
I know that back in the 60's I wouldn't even just hang around the house dressed the way I do now out in public.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:00 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,092,767 times
Not me. I like dressing up for parties or going to the theatre--and that's it. The way I see it, if you keep the fancy clothes for special events it makes those events extra special. But if we're talking about everyday activities, that's when I prefer the casual look. A Hawaiian shirt and jeans is the look I like. And the other "look" I like is the relaxed, happy look on people's faces because they feel comfortable.

I also like the look of "being healthy" and casual clothes mean you'll feel more comfortable doing things like walking everywhere. Can't walk a mile to the store if you're wearing heels or dressy clothes that can't really breathe.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:09 PM

30,531 posts, read 16,231,137 times
good point, Caladium.

I think comfort is more important than looks. Also more practical.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:25 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,449,854 times
I've still got a suit, sport coats, slacks, dress shirts, and a bunch of ties. Sadly, about the only time I get "dressed up" these days is to go to a funeral.

I had jobs in the past that required a certain degree of dressing up. Those days are behind me. Jeans, t-shirts, New Balance running shoes .... color me selfish, but being comfortable is way more important to me than what other people think of my appearance.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:05 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,839,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
I've still got a suit, sport coats, slacks, dress shirts, and a bunch of ties. Sadly, about the only time I get "dressed up" these days is to go to a funeral.

I had jobs in the past that required a certain degree of dressing up. Those days are behind me. Jeans, t-shirts, New Balance running shoes .... color me selfish, but being comfortable is way more important to me than what other people think of my appearance.
Agreed (I've also got the suits, ties, etc). I'm way more comfortable, (Florida) in shorts and flip-flops, and a T-shirt ... even when eating out (fast food) or going to some type of casual 'crowd' event. But, there are still times and places where 'beach casual' simply isn't appropriate.

One can still choose only to 'suit themselves,' but, that tends to show a disregard for others ... and also models an attitude for younger people and others that personal preferences 'trump' decorum, self-respect, respect for others ... and cultural norms and conventions (eg; church, formal events, ceremonies, weddings/funerals/baptisms, job interviews, public speaking engagements, etc.) -- One can't even get on most golf courses without a collared shirt.

I've thought about this after watching a young pastor in a church show-up twice to preach ... in baggy shorts, flip-flops and T-shirt (I've also been a teacher/preacher over many years). In my opinion, this is an unnecessary ‘stumbling block’ for many in the church … including me. With me, it’s not so much about style or preference, but, about respecting the role and the responsibility one assumes in that role.

I've also concluded that making too much effort to appear 'casual and unconcerned about dress or conventions' - sends it's own message. It says, "I'm overly self-absorbed with appearing unconcerned about appearance or conventions." -- Think about it, those who go out of their way to proclaim, "I don't care what anyone else thinks" ... usually care a great deal about creating that (unnecessary) impression with others. Likewise, adolescents who are 'totally aware of and concerned with what others think' ... send the same message when they attempt to act totally oblivious to and unconcerned with what anyone else thinks?

Last edited by jghorton; 05-19-2013 at 02:08 PM..

Old 05-19-2013, 01:16 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,929,816 times
To the OP: Since I was young when I dressed up, and it was the fashion (Fifties and Sixties), I thought of it as a form of art and not a hardship.

As an old person, I do not find tight clothing or shoes comfortable. And I value comfort now.

I also live in a vacation destination, so if you see someone dressed up, you wonder if they were kidnapped from somewhere else and dumped on the side of the road or something. It is very "suspicious" to see someone dressed up where I live.

I imagine it is different in big cities, no?

Old 05-19-2013, 01:49 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,092,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post

I've thought about this after watching a young pastor in a church show-up twice to preach ... in baggy shorts, flip-flops and T-shirt (I've also been a teacher/preacher over many years). I've concluded that sometimes, making too much effort to appear 'casual and unconcerned about dress or conventions' - sends it's own message. It really says, "I'm self-absorbed with appearing unconcerned about appearance or conventions." -- Think about it, isn't that the message that adolescents who are actually 'totally aware of and concerned with what others think' ... send when they attempt to act like they are totally unconcerned with and oblivious to what everyone else thinks?
Interesting how people can see things in different ways. Church is one place where I actually prefer seeing people in casual clothes. IMO, dressing up is perfect for restaurants, concerts, the theatre, and other places where showing off your fancy clothes is part of the evening. But a church, IMO, is a place to focus on God and not the place to have a fashion show.

I go to church to praise God, not to praise Mrs. Jones' Halston dress and or Mr. Smith's expensive Italian shoes. And what's worse is so many people in church don't praise each other for their clothes--they judge and criticize. It's human nature, I guess, but is that what Jesus wants us to do? That's why I prefer people to wear ordinary clothes to church. Back in ancient days, the people going to hear Jesus speak wore their ordinary clothes--and that still seems appropriate to me.

But this is one of those things people see differently. So, I'm not putting down someone else who wants to dress up for church--in their mind they are most likely doing so to be respectful. Or maybe they don't go to church very often, and they're dressing up because it's an unusual event.

Old 05-19-2013, 02:15 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,839,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Interesting how people can see things in different ways. Church is one place where I actually prefer seeing people in casual clothes. IMO, dressing up is perfect for restaurants, concerts, the theatre, and other places where showing off your fancy clothes is part of the evening. But a church, IMO, is a place to focus on God and not the place to have a fashion show.

I go to church to praise God, not to praise Mrs. Jones' Halston dress and or Mr. Smith's expensive Italian shoes. And what's worse is so many people in church don't praise each other for their clothes--they judge and criticize. It's human nature, I guess, but is that what Jesus wants us to do? That's why I prefer people to wear ordinary clothes to church. Back in ancient days, the people going to hear Jesus speak wore their ordinary clothes--and that still seems appropriate to me.

But this is one of those things people see differently. So, I'm not putting down someone else who wants to dress up for church--in their mind they are most likely doing so to be respectful. Or maybe they don't go to church very often, and they're dressing up because it's an unusual event.
I absolutely agree with you about people who attend church and take no exception there! As a Pastor/ Teacher myself, I would much rather have them there in 'beach casual', than not there at all. But, I'm talking about the Pastor himself and the message he conveys about his respect for and attitude toward the role he has assumed. I'm not talking about 'liturgical costumes' or even suits, but, about going to extremes in the other direction. IMO, the pastor must adhere to an entirely different standard than the congregation in many matters (including Sunday dress).

Old 05-19-2013, 02:24 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,207,141 times
I'll admit to still dressing better if we go out to dinner, even if 'just' a chain type place or even to someone elses house or to do something comparable.
But it still doesn't hit the level of dress-up that it used to. I even changed from the sweat type pants with bleach spots and holes the other day, to a good pair of jeans, just to go to WalMart. I didn't want to look like some peoples' stereotype of a WalMart shopper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement