Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 05:32 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times

Advertisements

I saw this article online in the Florida Times Union. We've had a thread on resentment for retiring early, now here is the other side. If you stay on the job past traditional retirement age, are you resented by younger workers?

I found the comments following the article to be very interesting.

What if boomers don't retire? | Jacksonville.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 06:06 AM

2,111 posts, read 7,951,650 times
I am retiring early as I am forced to because my field is dead. As far as what I see on here, Boomers (and I am second year boomer), are damed if they do, damed if they don't. If we retire early, we're tapping the till (SS), and if we continue to work, we're not opening up jobs for the young. I do what's best for me, and since all the jobs are gone, I have to retire after collecting 26 wks plus 20 wks extension of unemployment......

Old 12-20-2008, 09:43 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
If the younger workers can't compete that is their problem ;really. No one has to retire in this country.

Old 12-20-2008, 11:11 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
I dont see it as a huge issue. In some burecratic fields this may be a problem. In technical fields it nice to have highly experienced folks around. I recently accepted a position banking on the fact there will be some retirements in the next 5-7 years. If its 7-10, Im ok as long as Im getting paid.

Old 12-20-2008, 11:58 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,955,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
No one has to retire in this country.

When your job runs out (staff reductions, layoffs, etc.) in this economy and you are over the age of 55, you are retired, like it or not. The employment opportunities today and for the foreseeable future for older Americans are miserable.

Your statement that no one has to retire ignores the reality if the current environment.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:03 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,448,256 times
Boomers are like any other group ... only larger. Some (like me and my better half) retired as soon as they possibly could. Others will retire at a more "traditional" age ... 62? 65? Still others will continue to work much longer.

With the economy being what it is today, it wouldn't surprise me at all that some boomers are postponing retirement, especially if their children are having any financial difficulties. And yes, boomers hanging onto their jobs creates a barrier to advancement for younger workers, but hasn't that always been the case?

Old 12-21-2008, 11:02 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
I read an article that said Corporations were worrying because boomers were retiring and they outnumber the younger generation just coming into the workforce. Corporations were worried about a shortage of workers.

So now it's turned around...

Hewitt Associates - About Hewitt - Newsroom - Retiring Boomers Prompt Increased Employer Interest in Phased Retirement Programs, According to Hewitt Survey*(United States)

snippet:
"U.S. employers are facing an unprecedented talent shortage, with 25 percent of the workforce nearing retirement age."

Old 12-21-2008, 03:26 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,955,595 times
It is good to read that so many employers are recognizing the capabilities of older workers…

“According to Hewitt's survey, almost three-quarters of employers (72 percent) said that retaining the experience, knowledge and skills of older workers was the most important benefit to them in offering phased retirement programs. Other key employer benefits include easing the difficulty of replacing key skills (52 percent) and helping with transfer of key skills from experienced to inexperienced workers (50 percent)”.

Unfortunately too many managers think that higher education and diversity can substitute for experience and the interests of the firm suffer.

Old 12-21-2008, 03:55 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,855,329 times
After many years some businesses tend to sell out or phase themselves out of business. Some older workers would find themselves out of a job.
Some babyboomers decided to work later because of financial reasons. I just don't know how long they can stretch it out. It would be strange to have most Boomers still working 10 years from now.

Old 12-21-2008, 04:58 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post

When your job runs out (staff reductions, layoffs, etc.) in this economy and you are over the age of 55, you are retired, like it or not. The employment opportunities today and for the foreseeable future for older Americans are miserable.

Your statement that no one has to retire ignores the reality if the current environment.

There are always ways to use you knowledge and earn a income if you have any skills at all. Just because you no longer work for a comapny means nothing unless you can't function.But then of course the OPs original question of how poung people will take it ;doesn't apply if the job is no longer there.

Last edited by texdav; 12-21-2008 at 05:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement