Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 06:31 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,128,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
The idea comes from Denmark and it is a good one for "socially inclined" people. I'm not sure how well it works in the US. For older people? The work burden would probably fall on those who are fit. Does that bother you: fair, but unequal?
Thus the USA developers will validate this.. They actually MARKET to Northern Europeans as a preference for finding and developing 'communities' that will WORK and are successful. There are MANY activities / areas to contribute and a healthy community can deal with it very equitably.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 09:47 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,735,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Thus the USA developers will validate this.. They actually MARKET to Northern Europeans as a preference for finding and developing 'communities' that will WORK and are successful. There are MANY activities / areas to contribute and a healthy community can deal with it very equitably.
Thanks. It works in Denmark that way. I just wasn't sure about the US. But the people who use this option are probably pretty special (in a good way)?

Old 05-29-2013, 10:08 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,207,772 times
Sounds pleasant....but adults only, no small children or teenagers.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:17 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,419,471 times
Co-housing in my area is multi-generational and very expensive. More money and kids- what's not to dislike?
I love the Ross Chapin designs- looked at them when I went to build my house here in eastern Mass.
I concur with the issues of sharing responsibilities/work, etc. in any kind of shared housing thing. Maybe it would be easier with older people who have grown up than it was in earlier communes of yesteryear. (Even back then, I hoped to be living in an apartment over the garage rather than in a commune- always lived alone and don't want to answer to others or a group bylaw for socialization). I think I'd manage a lot better in all older people with strict rules about the presence of unde 18s, etc.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:39 AM

171 posts, read 209,342 times
Thanks for the link to Ross Chapin

Old 05-29-2013, 10:52 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,178,693 times
There are several co-housing developments in Davis, CA, including Village Homes, which I believe, from what I've read, was the first one in the US, built in the 1970s. It was marketed as a sustainable development. There is a community center for dinners and other events. The "fronts" of the homes all face the rear of the entrances so that when people are on their porches, they face a sidewalk, not a street. There are community gardens and chickens, as well as fruit trees. There are a lot of trees to provide shade to alleviate the summer heat, and all the units were built with solar panels. The original solar technology is pretty obsolete now, so some of the panels have been replaced with more efficient ones. When I lived in Davis I had several friends who lived there and it was an interesting neighborhood.

Sustainable Community: Village Homes, Davis, California

We have a Ross Chapin neighborhood mentioned in the previous post in our town, but it's much smaller.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:11 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,501,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
There are several co-housing developments in Davis, CA, including Village Homes, which I believe, from what I've read, was the first one in the US, built in the 1970s. It was marketed as a sustainable development. There is a community center for dinners and other events. The "fronts" of the homes all face the rear of the entrances so that when people are on their porches, they face a sidewalk, not a street. There are community gardens and chickens, as well as fruit trees. There are a lot of trees to provide shade to alleviate the summer heat, and all the units were built with solar panels. The original solar technology is pretty obsolete now, so some of the panels have been replaced with more efficient ones. When I lived in Davis I had several friends who lived there and it was an interesting neighborhood.

Sustainable Community: Village Homes, Davis, California

We have a Ross Chapin neighborhood mentioned in the previous post in our town, but it's much smaller.
Interesting. My wife was an adult student at Davis, living on-campus, back in the 70s and remembers Village Homes well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement