Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 07:52 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times

Advertisements

"Despite its overwhelming popularity with retirees, Florida may not be the best place to spend your golden years, according to a report released by Bankrate Monday. Instead, Tennessee and Louisiana topped Bankrate's list of the 10 most retiree-friendly states, which equally weighted cost of living, taxes, access to healthcare, crime rates and climate."

The 10 states according to the CNN Money article are:

Tennessee
Louisiana
South Dakota
Kentucky
Mississippi
Virginia
West Virginia
Alabama
Nebraska
North Dakota

The best states for retirement aren't what you think - May. 6, 2013

If you live in any of these 10 states or you researched them and scratched them off your potential retirement location what is the article missing and/or what did it get wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 08:39 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
I'm weighing in separately on Tennessee from the original post. I think these list studies/articles are written by people who just look at data.

"1. Tennessee: Not only does it have a Florida-like climate, but Tennessee also boasts the second lowest cost of living in the country. Combined with a low tax burden and great access to medical care, Tennessee is ideal for retirees living on fixed incomes, Kahn said. The only downside: the state has one of the country's highest crime rates. One of the state's oldest towns, Sevierville, Tenn., provides close access to a national park where retirees can picnic, hike and fish, and it's an easy drive to Knoxville."

The best states for retirement aren't what you think - May. 6, 2013

Tennessee does not have a Florida-like climate. We have 4 distinct seasons. "Summer" is a little longer than it is on the calendar but it does get cold (30s and 20s) here in the winter for a few days and the trees lose their leaves in the traditional months. We have a short Fall when the leaves do change color. We get snow but, at least where I live, it usually all melts by the following day. We have the grey days of winter. We get a lot of rain which is why the Davy Crockett song call us "the greenest state in the land of the free." And, we have tornadoes but then again, a lot of states have them.

Sevierville is touristy. I wouldn't recommend it for my type of retirement but others may like living in tourist towns. You can throw Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge in the tourist town mix, too. I'm not sure why the article only speaks to East Tennessee and not the rest of the state. It doesn't mention that East Tennessee has no International airport which retiree travelers might be looking to live near. Those are in Middle Tennessee (Nashville) and West Tennessee (Memphis). East Tennessee has regional airports.

It only mentions the Great Smoky Mountains National Park (GSMNP) but we have nice state parks, too, and they are free unlike in some other states. There are also a ton of free festivals and events here. There are some weekends where there are so many going on, it's hard to decide what to do. Also not mentioned are the events and learning opportunities in the parks (National and State). If you are an American history buff, there's a lot for you to enjoy here with a lot of living history events and re-enactments (French & Indian War, Civil War, WWII). And if you like music, just look at Tennessee's state quarter.

If you want to see some of the events/fairs/festivals Tennessee offers:

Tennessee Vacation - The State's Official Travel Planning Website

We have no state income tax but the state does tax dividends and interest.

The article is correct that it is ideal for retirees on a fixed income but it's only if it complements what you like to do.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:50 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,347,630 times
If I see one more of these articles my head will spin and large amount of pea soup will fly..................... (no offense to the OP)

Old 05-06-2013, 08:59 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
If I see one more of these articles my head will spin and large amount of pea soup will fly..................... (no offense to the OP)
Amen.

The biggest thing these lists don't consider is that things like expenses, availability of medical care, and other amenities can be wildly different depending on where you live in the state. Southern VA may be an inexpensive place to retire, for example, but northern VA is one of the most expensive regions in this country.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:20 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,347,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Amen.

The biggest thing these lists don't consider is that things like expenses, availability of medical care, and other amenities can be wildly different depending on where you live in the state. Southern VA may be an inexpensive place to retire, for example, but northern VA is one of the most expensive regions in this country.

Exactly what I thought. I hate to think what it will cost to live where I do now...in 6yrs. (when I hope to retire)

Old 05-06-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Exactly what I thought. I hate to think what it will cost to live where I do now...in 6yrs. (when I hope to retire)
Yup, it's heartbreaking. We absolutely love where we live here in northern VA, and just because we love it so much we've decided to stay for another year or so. But sooner or later reality will hit and we'll have to move. It's a great place to live but too expensive for retirement.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:01 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
As usual, considered three of them and didn't end up at any of them. Love Virgina and have lived there twice before. Would have loved to retire there but reluctantly had to agree with Caladium. A bit too pricey for our tastes. Thankfully we're perfectly content where we are which was always my wife's first choice anyway - my second. And besides, "If Momma ain't happy ain't nobody happy."

Old 05-06-2013, 10:01 AM

2,634 posts, read 3,692,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Yup, it's heartbreaking. We absolutely love where we live here in northern VA, and just because we love it so much we've decided to stay for another year or so. But sooner or later reality will hit and we'll have to move. It's a great place to live but too expensive for retirement.
If you love it that much, please try to find a way to make it work. I can't imagine not living in a place I love.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
If you love it that much, please try to find a way to make it work. I can't imagine not living in a place I love.
Well, I didn't really mean it would be heartbreaking. Poignant might have been a better word choice. We'll miss a lot of things, for sure--but luckily, the town we're eying for our eventual move has many things to love. And we've moved many times and are good at finding reasons to love whatever town we're in. Gotta love that Williamsburg has beaches and the smell of salt air--that's the one thing I wish northern VA had. So even though I'll miss many things, it'll be great to be able to stick my toes in the sand again.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:46 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
You must have been VERY fortunate or never a USA farmer near a city, if you have not been forced off your property due to taxes or development. 3rd time for me, and I'm tired of building barns and fences, and soils, and orchards. It is always good when I start, and I LOVE it and plan to STAY, then Poof, must leave.

Happens a lot to folks I know.

There is often not much you can do... If property gets rezoned, or a bunch of investors buy up the nearby properties and raise valuation,,, you are hosed. Get a JOB (night shift) to pay taxes and leave your days available to farm. It Works for MILLIONS.

So MANY places I LOVE but will never be able to afford to move back to.

Happened to millions of Californians and NYC, DC ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement