Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 10:12 PM

437 posts, read 649,827 times

Advertisements

I think the ability to get reduced fare, or FREE fare, or even emergency transportation, wherever you choose to move, is on topic. That speaks clearly to your first question, in the above post.

As does the income level, or expenses some have, in case that isn't an option.

Finding this information out, before making the move, is of utmost importance for a lot of us.

bullie~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 10:41 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,199,649 times
Sometimes I think I have become so concerned about these things that I may never have the courage to move at all, even though I need to. Knowing I could not work if income I depend on disappeared makes me very cautious, but maybe too much so. I used to be better at risk taking.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:04 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,190,340 times
Two things to do right away when you are disabled or failing health. #1 swallow your pride you are going to need help. #2 put aside your stubbornness whether disabled or not we all come to a point we aren't able to do things any longer. Start downsizing now while you are still able to get around no use trying to hang onto something that is causing you stress because you can't take care of it. Yes it is a painful decision but it is better for you to do it then wait until somebody else has to do it for you.

Good advice about contacting area aging services do it now they all have waiting lists & limited funding. Once you get on services other doors will open up for assistance easier. If you are fortunate enough to have home helpers please be respectful they are not your servants. Treat them like you are grateful for their help it isn't their fault you are in the condition you are in.

You can get a shower transfer chair/bench to put in your bathtub where you sit on it then lift your legs over the tub sides. The actual chair seat is wider than your tub so 2 legs are on the outside & 2 legs are inside the tub.

If you have trouble standing or walking for long get a wheeled walker that has a seat on it. If you are in line at least you will always have a seat when needed. When you don't need a seat you can raise its lid to carry things.

Buy one of those reacher/grabber things before you need it so you can get use to using it. They are helpful for getting things back in the cabinet as well as picking up things.

Tie a piece of rope or strong string onto your laundry basket so you can pull it instead of lifting it.

If you are able get the lay of the land before you have to go somewhere. What kind of path? Cane, walker, w/c or scooter which is best to use there? If you can go by at least call the place & ask them how you can get into their building they will be glad to help.

If you have grip problems buy some cheap foam rollers remove the inner part then slip foam over handles. Like silverware, toothbrush, comb, ink pen and cooking utensils.

Put lever type door knobs on all your doors including entrance door and have locks re-keyed so you only have to use 1 key for it all.

Buy one of those "old lady shopping carts" you can keep in your garage to load groceries in to bring inside. If you don't have a garage it makes it so much easier to make one trip from the parking lot. You can use it to take your laundry to the laundry room if you don't have a W & D in your home.

Contact area colleges to see if they have some students that need to do community service work for their studies. Some will mow, paint, run errands do what you need help with for free.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
If you have trouble standing or walking for long get a wheeled walker that has a seat on it. If you are in line at least you will always have a seat when needed. When you don't need a seat you can raise its lid to carry things.

Tie a piece of rope or strong string onto your laundry basket so you can pull it instead of lifting it.

If you have grip problems buy some cheap foam rollers remove the inner part then slip foam over handles. Like silverware, toothbrush, comb, ink pen and cooking utensils.

Put lever type door knobs on all your doors including entrance door and have locks re-keyed so you only have to use 1 key for it all.

Contact area colleges to see if they have some students that need to do community service work for their studies. Some will mow, paint, run errands do what you need help with for free.
I didn't want to copy your entire message, Jaxson, and I feel it should be, as it's chock FULL of great advice. I copied the wheeled walker part, because I was able to get two, for free. There are agencies that "lend" these things out, also wheelchairs, crutches, canes, etc.... The intent is that you pass on the information about them, so others will donate. I have one in my car, and one in my apartment. They are invaluable to me!

LOVE the lever door knobs... *duh, I would never have thought of that* and foam rollers as grippers! Who'da thunk??? Bravo!

Asking a college student, or even a church group with a teen program, for help, is one of those times I'm sure swallowing my pride is going to creep up and have to happen. And those young ones are probably more attentive and eager to do things WELL and CORRECTLY, and will obviously be a huge savings, instead of hiring a care-giver, if you don't have family or friends available to help out.

Awesome posting going on, and though it takes a great amount of courage to #1 admit we need help, and #2 to ASK for it, the alternative is.... well....let your mind drift there for a bit, and see what feels "better" for you.

Hey, I'm disabled, but I'm not UNABLE to DO, and GO, and LIVE! OUTTA my way, world.... bullie's got STUFF to do!!

bullie~

Old 07-31-2013, 09:28 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
So, returning more to the original subject...

To what extent does where you move depend on services available in the new place?

Or if you have already moved, how much importance did you give to this factor?

I would guess that income level might play a role in this decision. If you have enough to hire services, then subsidized services might matter less.
We did check on available healthcare and support services before we moved to our current, rather rural location. It was an important part of the decision making process. We also purchased a home that is all on one level anticipating potential mobility issues in the future. Darn good thing. The future is now for both of us. It just came years earlier than "planned."

Old 07-31-2013, 09:44 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullie62 View Post
...You don't have to wait that long for a Section 8. ...
Depends what state (and maybe what county) you're in. I'm told the wait for Section 8 in San Diego is several years.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:53 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Depends what state (and maybe what county) you're in. I'm told the wait for Section 8 in San Diego is several years.
I've heard that about other places in California as well.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:34 AM

Section 8 or HUD? And are we talking about US becoming eligible for Section 8, or FINDING a Section 8 apartment? 'Cause FINDING one should be relatively easy, since ANY apartment can become Section 8, once approved. And in Chicago, you'd think that would take a long time, and it doesn't.

bullie~

Old 07-31-2013, 10:42 AM

I've looked into the Tiny Homes.... aka Tumbleweed Tiny Houses... on wheels. They are WEE. VERY wee. And they could be an option, if you have a reliable SUV/Truck to tow it wherever you want.

It can be looked at as an alternative to being holed up in a condo, alone. If your disability doesn't thwart your ability to drive, it's viable for those who want to see the country, have their "own little home", and make friends in different states.

Anyhoo, someone just threw that out for me to see, and I've been looking at these little cuties for months now, and haven't scratched them off my list.

Google Tumbleweed Tiny Homes. It can be done without a loft bedroom or stairs.. and made wide enough for a wheelie or a W/C, completely designed around your disability.

Thank you, to whoever sent that rep to me.

bullie~

Old 07-31-2013, 10:47 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,199,649 times
My friend must be in HUD housing. She said the wait was so long because she was under 62. Building owners prefer seniors over 62, partly trying to avoid having mentally ill younger disabled people.
Also I think she decided she wanted into a particular building so that took longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement