Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 08:04 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,503,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Not exactly budget busters, but it's worth remembering that there are lots of little fees when you move. They can add up, and you'll pay them for everything from getting a new drivers license to paying getting a copy of your medical records to your new doctor. C'est la vie, it's annoying but in the long run it's worth it.
Here in Florida - I've heard that initial vehicle registration fees for new residents bringing their vehicles into the state are really high now - like $300-400. Don't know the exact amount - because I moved here decades ago. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 08:20 AM

1,322 posts, read 1,686,982 times
I replace the entire toilet not only the toilet seat. I can't imagine anything more disgusting than someone else's used toilet seat. I replace all faucets, towel holders, and light switches too. I tear out all carpeting and replace it. I hire a squadron of maids to deep clean the house and I hire painters to paint all the walls. When you consider that 95% of people don't wash their hands properly after going to the bathroom, it is a wonder more of us aren't ill.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:49 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,211,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingatFL View Post
I replace the entire toilet not only the toilet seat. I can't imagine anything more disgusting than someone else's used toilet seat. I replace all faucets, towel holders, and light switches too. I tear out all carpeting and replace it. I hire a squadron of maids to deep clean the house and I hire painters to paint all the walls. When you consider that 95% of people don't wash their hands properly after going to the bathroom, it is a wonder more of us aren't ill.

Does this mean you never use the toilet in somebody else's bathroom or wash your hands after?
Guess you don't trust Clorox?

Old 09-27-2013, 01:07 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,548,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Changing the door locks I can understand. That is a very prudent security measure and one everyone should follow. But you replace all the toilet seats when you move into a new house? Seriously??
It was someone I worked with who replaced them in the houses they rented. I usually end up replacing them in the first 6 months, depending on what shape they're in.

Old 09-27-2013, 03:24 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,053,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
An alternative - especially if you're dealing with older appliances you bought yourself and took good care of (as opposed to inheriting them from other people) - is buying extended warranties when you have to replace them with new appliances. That's almost a necessity today in any event - since even the most major of "white goods" seem to come with only 1 year warranties.

FWIW - even with a home warranty - you can still wind up "out of pocket". The last time we had a home warranty was when we were in our condo in Miami. The A/C broke early Friday evening at the beginning of a long 4th of July weekend. We were told that the warranty only covered "next business day" service - i.e. Tuesday. So we wound up having to pay for the service call ourselves. Robyn
We sold our house with a warranty that also covered us during the for sale period.

Old 09-27-2013, 03:25 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,053,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Does this mean you never use the toilet in somebody else's bathroom or wash your hands after?
Guess you don't trust Clorox?
I go out of my way to avoid unless we are overnight guest.

Old 09-27-2013, 03:56 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,135,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Changing the door locks I can understand. That is a very prudent security measure and one everyone should follow. But you replace all the toilet seats when you move into a new house? Seriously??

Funny, we replaced all three toilets! some of the surprises for us were the sewer and trash bill, and the police and fire Bill on top of taxes, however the tax part itself is still under $300 a year so can't really complain. Another big surprise was not cost but we are expected to shovel the sidewalk on two sides of our house, corner lot, AND to repair the sidewalks to city specs if they need it, which they do. NEVER heard of anything like that anywhere else I have lived. And I lived a lot of places.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:36 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,905,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
The fridge. That is a sore spot. We had to buy a new one last year. They have grown - become fatter and taller over the years. The taller aspect caused us severe problems. The cost wasn't a factor. Our kitchen cabinets were. We were almost at the point of redoing those to allow more space. After much, much research we finally found one that fit in our space. With a 1/8th inch clearance.

A cheaper one at Lowes oddly enough.
Right? I live alone and my old fridge was 20.8 cu. I found a bottom freezer in my price range that was 17.9 cu and the height clearance made it by a hair. I wanted good freezer space because I make ALOT of smoothies and freeze ingredients and pre made ahead.

Frankly, I would have gone with a cheap-o top freezer on sale for $400 or whatever but when I saw the bottom freezer for half price I took it. I"m a lil nervous because it's a Samsung but all my clients have them and love them. I'm pretty sure my new buying strategy is going to be no frills economy not the brand shopper I used to be if they're not going to last longer.

The people at my Lowes were really nice. And they had a good selection. But I ended up buying it at Best Buy because of the model and price.The salesman there was very good, too, he's non commissioned and spent a LONG TIME with me... and I was shocked.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 09-27-2013 at 05:08 PM..

Old 09-27-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
On the bright side - you can now buy 10 year batteries for those smoke detectors. More expensive than regular batteries - but no need for annual changes. Robyn
THANK YOU for that info! I had no idea and of course, the electrician I paid last year to replace the detector just for good measure didn't say a word about it.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Ah, yes. Come-with appliances. We were very pleased that our house came with everything when we bought it four yeas ago. However, in the past two years we've had to replace the soft water system, the hot water heater, dishwasher, stove, washer and dryer. That just leaves the refrigerator and the ice maker quit a couple of months ago so that will be next. I never really liked it anyway. We've also replaced one toilet and the other will be replaced next week. Add some repairs to the HVAC system and it all adds up. Thankfully the roof is only five years old.

Guess that's what we get for buying a 20-year old home but the lake isn't broken or needing replacement so I can't really complain.

Thanks to our advanced ages and government pensions we pay no state income tax and property tax is ridiculously low compared to what it would be on the left coast. However, we do have to pay personal property tax on our car. But that, even with annual registration fees, is about a third of what just registration would be in CA so no complaints. The HOA fee is $205 a year and probably should go up a bit but hasn't yet.

All-in-all it's been handily affordable but that can turn in a moment as most of us know. I'm not holding my breath but just being watchful.
LOL yup my ice maker died exactly two months before the fridge. Well, it started dripping then I shut it off. Just like my AC started seeming to be running warm exactly two months before IT gave out. So yeah, start shopping.

I'm like you, avoiding the additional fee for physical inspection in PA outweighs the tag in Florida and my condo HOA is $330 covering everything except electric including cable tv so I'm cautiously happy. And homestead in FL brings the property taxes down considerably.

Quote:
Here in Florida - I've heard that initial vehicle registration fees for new residents bringing their vehicles into the state are really high now - like $300-400. Don't know the exact amount - because I moved here decades ago. Robyn
This is true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement