Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 08:46 AM

106 posts, read 201,124 times

Advertisements

Greeting...!

Anyone here retire to a university town? If so, how do you like it and what makes it a good place to live? And what area are you in?

Happy Trails,

"MtMtnMan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 09:15 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times
We retired to Chapel Hill, N.C. home of UNC. I have investment property here and have been using a manager for many years and wanted to be living locally. Also I have history here. It is more expensive to live here real estate wise than other areas in the area but it is worth it to us because we still have kids in school and the schools here are the best in the state. the medical facilities were a big draw too with UNC and Duke just down the road. i think this is our last stop.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:29 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,092,767 times
Not sure if I would call Williamsburg a university town, per se, but William and Mary is certainly a vital part of my town.

There are several ways the campus enhances our retirement:

--The campus is gorgeous. I love taking walks there, looking at the sculptures, sometimes seeing free performances out on the grounds or some other student activity.

--The school has a program called the Christopher Wren Association for Lifelong Learning. It's for retirees who wish to continue to study and learn after retirement. In addition to these special classes designed for this program, the group sponsors social activities. In addition to this, senior citizens age 60 and older can take advantage of tuition-free courses at both William and Mary and Thomas Nelson Community College.

--There are lots of concerts, plays, lectures, and other activities going on at the campus that we like to attend.

--Williamsburg has an unusually high number of interesting bookstores, as well as an excellent library system, and having the college is one of the reasons for this.

--We also enjoy going to some of the college games. Fortunately, W&M isn't much of a party school, so game night isn't the wild, party scene it can be in other towns.

--When we bought our house, it came with a tenant who is a grad student. This was the first time I've tried that sort of arrangement. Wasn't sure how it would work out, but a grad student is mature enough to be a wonderful tenant. She's quiet and fun to talk to, and when we take little trips she keeps an eye on things and feeds the animals.

--College towns tend to have interesting restaurants and things to do.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:35 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,912,457 times
Although I am not retired in a university town per se, I can see the advantages of doing so. One of the primary advantages is the cultural opportunities offered at any large university - travelling musical groups, theatre troupes, lecturers, revival cinematic showings, and so forth. The presence of a large university will bring such things even if the equivalent town of the same population may not.

An example is Baton Rouge, Louisiana, hardly a cultural mecca! For three years I attended Louisiana State University there and enjoyed many of the cultural offerings.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:47 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,092,767 times
The possible down sides, just to present a balanced view:

--college students are sometimes noisy. Not sure I would want to live too close to the campus.

--rents can be higher in college towns.

--petty crime is sometimes higher (the operative word being sometimes--it can happen but it's also not a problem in many college towns, including my particular town).

--sometimes traffic can be heavier near a college, especially on game nights.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:40 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times
Have a second home in a university town and it looks like we will probably retire here full time. I have always been familiar with this town and attended grad school here (and my son attended) so it is not as though we moved to this area without being very familiar and feeling "at home" all our lives.

Being in a university town would definitely be on my list of criteria for where I would want to live. I grew up in a college town and have always felt being near an institution of higher learning provides so many opportunities beyond education -- for the townspeople.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:46 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,453,265 times
Grew up in one. Madison, WI

Grew really tired of the divide between the city and the university.

Also - student-centric activities dominate.

Traffic was horrible on Game Day.

If I had to live near it - I would - but not in the heart - nor in the outskirts.

Got really tired of it.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:53 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post

If I had to live near it - I would - but not in the heart - nor in the outskirts.

Got really tired of it.

See, I would love to retire to Madison. I was there for the second time this year this past weekend (watching the Hoosier bloodbath). I don't think I could afford it there, but maybe someplace like La Crosse. Of course, I'm an alumn and big into the Badgers, so that might be a huge difference.

Athens GA and Burlington VT are other college towns I'd consider. Not sure if Arcata would be considered one.

Last edited by timberline742; 11-18-2013 at 11:01 AM..

Old 11-18-2013, 11:13 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post

Got really tired of it.
I went to the college in the town where I grew up . . . and so have had a close connection with the college . . . and "back in the day" they offered so many activities for the public -- guest speakers, writers, dance ensembles, travelogues, symphony concerts, plays, galleried art shows . . . at very reasonable prices (and sometimes - no charge). There are less "travelogues" and lectures these day and more online offerings but the concerts, art shows, visiting artists/writers are still a big part of what is available to the public.

The university that is near our home now offers even more extensive entertainment and lectures for the public.

I love the crowds on game day -- so much energy in the air. I just don't get out in it unless I plan ahead and know how to avoid the congestion -- or if I have tickets and am part of the congestion, lol.

I think this is a very individual situation . . . some of us will readily take advantage of all a college/university has to offer and some folks are just not going to be interested in lectures, concerts, etc. I don't find myself interacting that much with college students unless I am actually on campus . . . but I live in an area where there are a lot of retirees, too . . . and where many of the locals have jobs at either the hospital or the university . . . so it is a nice mix of age groups year-round.

I have found that -- as someone else mentioned -- housing costs are about 25% higher here than in other cities/towns in the region. That would be my only negative comment about living here.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:58 PM

447 posts, read 1,246,045 times
Holland, Michigan has been ranked highly as a great town for retirement. Hope College is right in the center of the city,, adjacent to one of America's most celebrated downtowns. The is an awesome "town-gown" relationship with lots of local sports, excellent arts (theatre, music, indy films, etc.). Plus the downtown streets and sidewalks are 100% snowmelted, and extremely safe for year round walking/running. Holland is 30 minutes from Grand Rapids, Michigan's most vibrant city, home of Artprize and so much more. Located on Lake Michigan, Holland also has sandy beaches and sand dunes for summer fun, and is close to dozens of golf courses and ski resorts. Check it out. Holland Michigan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement