Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 06:56 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,053,820 times

Advertisements

Lots of glass half empty stories. This is more of the glass half full. It ties into many threads current and past about Boomers and their housing patterns.

Retirement: The big ousing market for Boomer retirees

Quote:
Goodman is among a new wave of baby boomers who are looking for housing solutions that allow them to age in place while maintaining an active lifestyle – and doing so well before they've reached their 60th birthday or hung up their work clothes.

The youngest of the 76 million boomers have begun turning 50 this year and 10,000 boomers per day will turn 65 from now through 2030. These demographics alone are driving the increased demand for 55-plus communities. The concept has gotten an even bigger boost in recent years as more boomers find themselves sitting on an empty nest in an active housing market.
Quote:
"We're looking at a huge wave of people whose housing needs are changing," says Manny Gonzalez, a California-based architect who specializes inactive adult communities. "It's even bigger than Gen Y, which has driven the apartment boom that has had an enormous impact on housing."

Just as boomers have redefined every other stage of life from college to careers – they're now remaking retirement as well, and developers are taking note.
Quote:
Plenty of boomers still yearn for the year-round sunshine afforded by traditional retiree havens like Arizona and Florida. But there are also millions who have no interest in the snowbird lifestyle, or in moving away from a community where they've spent decades building a life. More than 60 percent of baby boomers want their home in retirement to be within the same state they currently live, while a third of boomers want to live within 20 miles of their children or grandchildren in retirement, according to a 2012 study by Pulte Group.
Quote:
More than 80 percent of near-retirees say they'll likely do some work in retirement, citing both financial factors as well as other reasons, such as wanting to keep busy or maintain an active mind.
Lots of food for thought if anyone wants meal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 09:54 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,519,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Lots of glass half empty stories. This is more of the glass half full. It ties into many threads current and past about Boomers and their housing patterns.

Retirement: The big ousing market for Boomer retirees

Lots of food for thought if anyone wants meal.
Interesting info, Tuborg! Thank you for sharing it.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:48 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,978,930 times
Thanks Tuborg, interesting read. We are doing a lot of thinking about our next and final owned home. It will be small one-floor, 3 bdrm, 1 1/2 baths, and hopefully with outbuilding (not counted as living space taxwise ) for studio. It will be in a small town accessible to major highways for easy travel to family. It will have town amenities (senior transport and the like). It may be a tourist area, as we have semi professional artwork to market. That will be our supplemental income.

I think every senior who is contemplating "one final move" to an independent home has a lot of thinking to do, and listed criteria and comparative spreadsheets will help.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:06 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,962,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
... It will be small one-floor,
I fully understand the desire to have one floor (I do not) and have to smile that our local family practice doctor has that in their questionnaire. I assumed it had to do with mobility but when I asked the doctor she said that so few of her senior patients get regular exercise that she sees an advantage in having to climb stairs.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
I fully understand the desire to have one floor (I do not) and have to smile that our local family practice doctor has that in their questionnaire. I assumed it had to do with mobility but when I asked the doctor she said that so few of her senior patients get regular exercise that she sees an advantage in having to climb stairs.
Bada Bing, I love our stairs. We have a first floor master for when we don't if sooner than our final move.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:54 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
That 80% future retirees thinking they will just "pick up some work" in retirement citing financial factors screams "Stop right there".

If one needs to work after they retire they better have that post retirement job lined up before they retire.
In today's society never assume you can just find work if you need it.

I went back to school and became a certified Teacher before I retired. Took a leave of absence to do my student teaching.
I used the NCLB program "Transition to Teaching" which the big corporations all take part in (because the Fed gives them all the money for it ) Taxpayer money paid 100% for the schooling and gave me a stipend while on my LOA as well. (I made use of MY tax dollars for a change).
Now I do substitute teaching and long term sub teaching and get paid more for it because I'm certified.
I've got my name in 2 different districts and am plenty busy when I want (rural has a shortage of subs).
I don't want any full time position teaching but would consider something part time and keep my eye out.

No I don't need the money and whatever money I make is my slush fund for improvements on my ranch.

I hear "Oh I'll just pick up a part time job" a lot these days.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:06 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,537,988 times
+1 for stairs. Love our 3 level home with the master taking up the entire top level.

If we do move within the next few years, it'll be to experience living in a different part of the country. Dream home would be a <1500 SF 2 BR, 2 Bath bungalow.

Otherwise our next and "final" move will be to someplace where the maintenance and yard work (if any) are covered by someone else. Hopefully that's 10-15 years away.

Great article, thanks for posting it.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:49 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,978,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
I probably won't need a one-floor for another 10 to 15 years. But if we sell here and move one last time, we'll be prepared for that. Not wanting to move more than one more time before Happy Acres Nursing Home.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I probably won't need a one-floor for another 10 to 15 years. But if we sell here and move one last time, we'll be prepared for that. Not wanting to move more than one more time before Happy Acres Nursing Home.
By that time there will be a new range of products designed for Boomers. Housing options will be different and that's part of what the article is about. Contrary to City-Data lore not every Boomer lost their money in the market meltdown and refused to join the party again. Many stayed the course got all of their money back plus some and were heavily putting new money to work and have had just a stunning bonanza in the return on their new money. The article mentions the North East and oh yeah you know that deal. For many the money is there and a range of business interest are trying to gear up to meet their needs. We keep hearing that the jobs being created are part time and companies may be realizing that keeping seniors on part time will be more cost effective and boost their productivity and enable them to continue to squeeze out profit. I have read articles that job prospects for seniors have picked up and they are one of the more marketable folks in the job market. I know that is hearsay around here.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:11 PM

Retiring boomers complicate skills gap | Star Tribune

Quote:
Concerns about the nation's widening job-skills gap have captured the attention of AARP, corporate human resource managers
In a poll released Monday, AARP and the Society for Human Resource Management found that 72 percent of HR professionals they surveyed identified the pending retirements of baby boomers as a problem that their organizations hope to address.

To understand the issue, consider that a Pew Research Center report indicates that 10,000 baby boomers will reach age 65 every day for the next 20 years. Many are expected to retire or curtail their workloads as they qualify for government-paid health benefits under Medicare.

Concerned HR managers said they are preparing for the exodus by:

•Increasing training and cross-training of younger workers (45 percent of respondents).

•Developing succession planning (38 percent).

•Hiring retired employees as consultants and temporary workers, so as not to lose their expertise (30 percent).

•Offering flexible work arrangements (27 percent).

Designing part-time positions to attract older workers (24 percent).

According to the poll, more than half the HR managers said their older workers have "stronger writing, grammar and spelling skills" than younger workers and that they exhibit a stronger professionalism and work ethic.
Employment for those over 50 is a glass half full and yes also half empty. Those that lost jobs early in the recession tend to be in the empty part while those who kept their jobs in the full half with a solid long term employment picture. They are the ones who will be in demand part time etc as they had the skills and situation to be able to survive the recession. In some cases they lived in the right place. Many of those working and planning to work part time in retirement know what their skill set and job status is. It can be very different than those who have been less fortunate.

Last edited by TuborgP; 01-12-2014 at 02:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement