Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What best small, cheap, and nice place should I retire to?
Decorah, Iowa 6 13.04%
Idaho Falls, Idaho 7 15.22%
Pocatello, Idaho 3 6.52%
Bangor, Maine 15 32.61%
Sioux Falls, SD 5 10.87%
Spokane, WA 5 10.87%
Morgantown, WV 8 17.39%
Plattsburgh, NY 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 02:50 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,104,726 times

Advertisements

Try Columbia, or several other cities/towns in South Carolina. South Carolina is very tax friendly to retirees, even though it does have a personal income tax.

Last edited by james777; 02-25-2014 at 03:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 03:44 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
I used to live in Grand Junction, Colorado, and this would totally fit the bill for ya, except
a) I don't know if they have a VA
b) winters are pretty harsh

Old 02-25-2014, 03:47 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,435,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrider434 View Post
Hello there, I am trying to find the right place for me, to retire to. Single mature male, currently in large, crowded, expensive city in the PNW. Maybe the perfect place doesn't exist, but here is some criteria for me:

low crime
low meth and serious drug infested areas and problems
mild winters, or winters, but with good four seasons at least
low property taxes
VA facility somewhere in driving distance
home prices under 190k with a little acreage available
decent nature / scenery
somewhere friendly, and not overly cliquesh
inexpensive utilities
live and let live attitude
population anywhere from 15,000 to like 150,000 give or take
airport at least within around 100 or so miles

The only places I have come up with so far, are Idaho Falls ID, Bangor ME, Berea Kentucky, Bedford, IN (outskirts of Bloomington IN), and Centralia WA, and well...that is about it for now. Any suggestions or feedback welcomed, thank you.
First off, I think you need to number the list. What is most important? What is least important?

But I can suggest looking in the vicinity of Albuquerque New Mexico. Lots of small and medium size towns within a 100 mile circle around it. Plus a choice of either desert or mountain nature/scenery. It has a VA Hospital and an International airport.

You live in the PNW -- Albuquerque is a lot cheaper to live in than Seattle.

Here's a Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed - but take all answers with a grain of salt

Last edited by Yac; 02-26-2014 at 06:46 AM..

Old 02-25-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
But I can suggest looking in the vicinity of Albuquerque New Mexico.
you do realize the OP is asking for low crime and low meth?

Old 02-25-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara
But I can suggest looking in the vicinity of Albuquerque New Mexico.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
you do realize the OP is asking for low crime and low meth?
So you're saying within a 100 mile circle around Albuquerque, ALL areas in that circle is high crime and high meth?

Really?
Sheesh.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:14 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,187,379 times
I have some time, and therefore the research is starting to take off. I looked at Grand Junction but when I do a home search with my criteria, with 190k and under, including at least a half acre (I prefer at least one or more acres though), I only come up with about 13 homes for sale in my price range....which is 190k but preferable less. When I to the same search in Rapid City, same results. Same results, more or less, with Preston AZ. As well as Medford, Ashland, up to Roseburg OR. So, in conclusion, all those places are over my housing budget, and are more expensive then what my budget is.

Albuquerque was of interest for sure, but also concerned about gangs, and high crime,...Spokane was ruled out also do to boasting one of the highest crime rates per capita in the USA, according to Neighbor Scout website.

Love the south, but due to having a strong New England accent, I ruled out most the southern states, ( though I am partial to Kentucky and West Virginia) but not completely,..cause I do not wish to feel awkward, or to called a Yankee. I am too progressive minded for that, although I am Libertarian. After having spent years in Seattle, there is no civil war mindedness, or strong feelings about it, there.

When I search MLS listings I find many homes to choose from, UNDER 190k, with some acreage in places like Idaho Falls, Murray Kentucky, anywhere from the outskirts of Lexington KY, all the way to Huntington WV, Bangor, ME, and outside of Bloomington IN, as well as Parkersburg WV, and etc. Upstate NY has plenty too, but property taxes, heavy snow, and high utilities, will keep away from upstate NY. Bangor, ME, is high on list, yet seems like heating something like an 1800 square feet home may be a financial nightmare during the long winters. As well as the heavy snowfalls.

In regard to Idaho Falls, (including Rexburg, and Rigby) from what I read, just about every sub division has a Mormon temple erected at the entrances of all of them ( no offense please). I read this, but not sure if it is true. Don't want to feel like I am living in a Theocracy either, so I am leaning away from IF and that whole area now. The search continues, that you for kind responses.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
So you're saying within a 100 mile circle around Albuquerque, ALL areas in that circle is high crime and high meth?
New Mexico is one of the highest-crime and drug use places in the country. It's as much prevalent in the rural areas as in the city.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:51 PM

**************Looking for advice on what small, and desirable place to retire to...-capture.jpg

Old 02-25-2014, 06:02 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,187,379 times
welp there goes the neighborhood, the Midwest looks like it has got some severe Meth issues, yet I know for instance, down in Chelahis, WA, which is a rural area, I read they got signs on the roads that say "Methwatch"....and I know I have heard Medford OR called "Methford", so maybe they are just more aggressive at busting and finding where the labs are in the the Midwest, more then other places. Lord what ever happened to America? How did we allow it to descend to such a condition I wonder sometimes.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:06 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
(3rd paragraph)

Every individual is different, thus finding a state with no state income tax means little to some people.
Exactly. Many seniors aren't affected by state income tax (or even sales tax) so much, but property tax in old age, that's another matter (beware NH with no income tax or sales tax but very high property tax).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement