Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2014, 09:30 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by highplainsrus View Post
It will be difficult to find a real doctor who knows much about cannabis, but there must be a few out there.
My immediate thought was, a great many of them are probably well acquainted with it,even if only when they were students.
Just for the hell of it, I did a quick search and found this:

The authors questioned 1,063 future physicians at four medical schools in different geographic regions of the United States concerning their attitudes toward marijuana and its use. Their results indicated that past use of cannabis ranged from 17 percent of the students at one school to 70 percent at another. Over 500 students in the four schools had used marijuana at least once, and 114 said they had used the drug more than 100 times. More than 300 said they were using cannabis currently.
PsychiatryOnline | American Journal of Psychiatry | Marijuana Use by Medical Students
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 10:22 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
I think the key thing for medical users, especially beginners, is to start out with low-THC/high-CBD cannabis varieties like Harlequin or Charlotte's Web. Another alternative would be some form of CBD extract with zero THC. I would think any reputable medical cannabis dispensary will stock something like that.

It will be difficult to find a real doctor who knows much about cannabis, but there must be a few out there. The medical schools won't be able to dodge the substance for much longer and will have to teach it when scientific research finally gets off the ground in the U.S. There is a very large body of research and knowledge available from other countries, but doctors have to choose specialties and there are many factors preventing them from choosing this non-AMA-approved specialty, including risk of malpractice suits.
Yes, there are some. In places where medical marijuana is legal, there are doctors and other medical professionals like nurses and nurse practitioners who do know how to administer it. I have to add that doctors aren't always all that well-versed in administering prescription drugs they prescribe.

The pharmacist knows more about the side effects and counteractions with other drugs. I don't trust any doctor to tell me how a drug will effect me. They mostly rely on the pharmaceutical sales person to tell them what the drug is all about and don't bother taking the time to learn about the newest drugs they prescribe to their patients.

Just because a drug is a prescription drug does not necessarily mean it will be safe for everyone.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:11 AM

6 posts, read 13,236 times
Normally marijuana makes me spacey and far from alert, but if it were medically necessary I would use it, but I wouldn't drive.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:11 AM

802 posts, read 984,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Yes, there are some. In places where medical marijuana is legal, there are doctors and other medical professionals like nurses and nurse practitioners who do know how to administer it. I have to add that doctors aren't always all that well-versed in administering prescription drugs they prescribe.

The pharmacist knows more about the side effects and counteractions with other drugs. I don't trust any doctor to tell me how a drug will effect me. They mostly rely on the pharmaceutical sales person to tell them what the drug is all about and don't bother taking the time to learn about the newest drugs they prescribe to their patients.

Just because a drug is a prescription drug does not necessarily mean it will be safe for everyone.
It's good to hear that some professionals know how to administer it, but I have yet to find actual evidence of what that really means. Do they specify a strain? What about percentages of THC, CBD, CBN, etc.? What is a prescribed dosage? Is all that different for each specific patient condition? Does the dosage start small and increase until effective and side effects are manageable? Do they explain all the different ways of ingesting cannabis and recommend a method, type of vaporizer/pipe, certain type of edible/extract product? Do they understand the new oils and waxes and methods of creating hash? or do they simply "recommend" the general use of cannabis, then monitor the patient with normal medical tests?

While I search for such evidence, here is a useful 2010 report from The Center for Medicinal Cannabis Research at University of California which summarizes various research they have done. Some of the summaries are somewhat specific as to THC strength, at least. They indicate that low THC cannabis has little effect, medium THC strength has positive patient effects, and high THC cannabis can actually increase pain and other patient effects - compared to zero-THC placebo doses. They also indicate that the various side effects are relatively safe. Note that the levels of THC% they use for "high dose" is still far below the strength currently being offered in Colorado cannabis shops.

http://www.cmcr.ucsd.edu/images/pdfs...PORT_FEB17.pdf

Readers may want to compare that report to this description of a THC/CBD oral spray called Sativex, offered in a few European countries and Canada. We can only hope it will be approved in the U.S. someday soon.

http://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medi...mucosal+Spray/

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nabiximols

Here is a list of "10 Pharmaceutical Drugs Based on Cannabis". I would presume that any U.S. doctor familiar with cannabis knows about all of these.

http://medicalmarijuana.procon.org/v...ourceID=000883

Last edited by highplainsrus; 02-11-2014 at 10:07 AM..

Old 02-11-2014, 10:36 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,834,060 times
Although Cannabis has many traditional and potential uses in human medicine, the term "Medical Marijuana" is an advertising concept that was developed in California in the 1980's. The idea was to give Marijuana a positive image and provide a wedge into public opinion that would eventually lead to legalization.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:42 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Although Cannabis has many traditional and potential uses in human medicine, the term "Medical Marijuana" is an advertising concept that was developed in California in the 1980's. The idea was to give Marijuana a positive image and provide a wedge into public opinion that would eventually lead to legalization.
Yep. That's the whole deal. Tell people that it's for "medicinal purposes" and when that door is opened, well, might as well just enjoy it since it has been "proven" to have medicinal value.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:32 PM

802 posts, read 984,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
well-stated - and its working. gradually, the last 8 decades of half-truths and outright lies are being exposed and truth is emerging, along with fresh, mostly positive scientific research.

even so, elderly people with no cannabis experience and little knowledge of it outside of biased media reports are coming face-to-face with a "marijuana doctor" and a "medical marijuana dispensary" and a "budtender", hoping for some kind of relief. I just hope they have internet service and enough education to use search engines and read research reports. or at least access to a good local library stocked with up to date books and magazines.

Last edited by highplainsrus; 02-11-2014 at 03:42 PM..

Old 02-11-2014, 04:15 PM

Quote:
...elderly people with no cannabis experience and little knowledge of it outside of biased media reports are coming face-to-face with a "marijuana doctor" and a "medical marijuana dispensary" and a "budtender", hoping for some kind of relief. I just hope they have internet service and enough education to use search engines and read research reports. or at least access to a good local library stocked with up to date books and magazines.
That's a lot of trouble just to try a little weed.

The easiest way would be to go where you see kids skateboarding.

Ask who has the best bud.

Tell them you heard it might help your (insert condition here) and give a little wink.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:34 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,558,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Agree. Let's put it in perspective: we're talking in this thread about *seniors*, ie folks 60+.
They're suffering from some condition that needs relief, medical professionals and research agree pot might provide said relief, there's no particular need for them to smoke it, they can ingest it in other forms, there's never in recorded history been anyone who's died from an overdose, honestly I don't see any problem.
What BiscuitMom said above and in her previous post!

Old 02-11-2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
...I would take marijuana if a professional dispenser told me it could help.
Before he got a government license, rented a building, and painted a green cross on the door, the "Professional Dispenser" was called the "Dope Dealer".

He knows his product, the available strains, and the current price trends.

He knows nothing about you or your health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement