Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2014, 08:28 AM

508 posts, read 663,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
It does relieve symptoms, yes? Would you deny someone that?
Did you miss this part? "I'm all for medical marijuana"

Of course I would not deny someone the use of MMJ for the relief of nausea caused by chemotherapy, or any of its other myriad medical uses. IN ITS NATURAL STATE. The move to try to fractionate out specific cannabinoids and other substances may not be entirely without its uses - but it is not an appropriate substitute for use of the whole plant.

This, more than any other factor, is why I also support legalization of marijuana for recreational use as well. We need to drop these bluenose prejudices and stop mucking about. Especially with regard to pain, there is a synergistic effect arising from ALL the substances in natural marijuana - including the THC. You can't jerk one substance out and get the full palliative effect.

If someone finds a particular component fractionated out of MMJ to be useful, that is fine. But if people want to keep using the whole plant - that is ALSO fine, and I resist any effort to force people to rely on the former and deny them the latter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 09:32 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,469,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojj View Post
I can't. It is a physical impossibility. Besides which, I don't run.

I could care less who originated the recipe for magic brownies - and quite frankly I doubt either of the people you mention "originated" any such thing. Marijuana has been with us since before we were human - it's been on the planet longer than Homo Sapiens has even existed. I guarantee you it was baked into brownies much longer ago than 1954. In fact bhang (a form of marijuana "tea") dates back to before written history.

All of which is beside the point. The only rabidity being shown here comes from you - so, too late. You are already rabid on the subject.

Whether or not you are a "former state narcotics agent" isn't even the issue. The issue is your rabidly anti-marijuana stance, which is baseless as well as base.

Yet at long last you admit that it might have some legitimate medical uses and in fact that you would use it yourself - how then can you defend calling those of us who use it and those who prescribe its use for us "losers"?

You really can't, no matter how you bluster and puff yourself up with a false sense of importance. "Former state narcotics agent" or no.
It's a matter of legality with me which seems to be a pretty simple concept and actually, I can do what I wish so feel free to puff on that. I'm done. G'Day!

Old 03-23-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
It's a matter of legality with me which seems to be a pretty simple concept and actually, I can do what I wish so feel free to puff on that. I'm done. G'Day!
It IS legal in many places at the state level. I think 18 or 20 states now? We're getting close to half of the states.

The feds will catch up to reality eventually. It's been legal for almost 20 years in some places, in fact - and the feds aren't going after anybody so far and aren't likely to start any time soon. They've already said they aren't going to pursue federal prosecution of MMJ users.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/20/us...abis.html?_r=0

So your issues with "legality" are groundless.

I'll be happy if you really ARE done calling people who need and benefit from medical marijuana "losers". That'd make it a "G'day".

Old 03-23-2014, 11:01 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,420,900 times
Would you use medical marijuana if you think it could help

Yes

Old 03-23-2014, 03:17 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,041,142 times
Quote:

Of course I would not deny someone the use of MMJ for the relief of nausea caused by chemotherapy, or any of its other myriad medical uses. IN ITS NATURAL STATE. The move to try to fractionate out specific cannabinoids and other substances may not be entirely without its uses - but it is not an appropriate substitute for use of the whole plant.

This, more than any other factor, is why I also support legalization of marijuana for recreational use as well. We need to drop these bluenose prejudices and stop mucking about. Especially with regard to pain, there is a synergistic effect arising from ALL the substances in natural marijuana - including the THC. You can't jerk one substance out and get the full palliative effect.

If someone finds a particular component fractionated out of MMJ to be useful, that is fine. But if people want to keep using the whole plant - that is ALSO fine, and I resist any effort to force people to rely on the former and deny them the latter.
I am for the legalization for recreational use because I don't think the pharmaceutical industry should have a choke hold on those who need MJ for pain relief.

I think people should be able to grow MJ in their own backyards if they want to.

Heaven forbid someone who needs pain relief can get it for practically nothing without big pharma sticking their greedy fingers into the mix.

And.....I don't even care for MJ. Smoked it a few times in my youth and can take it or leave it.

I am not thrilled about taking any drug, including MJ, that gives me the munchies.....it is hard enough as it is to keep the pounds off at my age.

BUT.....if I ever do need MJ for pain relief.....I would like to be able to grow my own instead of paying big bucks to get it through "the system".

Old 03-23-2014, 04:07 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,469,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
BUT.....if I ever do need MJ for pain relief.....I would like to be able to grow my own instead of paying big bucks to get it through "the system".
Makes total, good sense to the extant that people can make their own wine and beer in specified quantities. I've believed for years that it should be decriminalized for those over 21 and treated like alcohol to include being regulated for quality assurance purposes. If nothing else, the savings for the taxpayers would be huge, not that I suppose any of us would receive lowered taxes or rebates.

Old 03-23-2014, 04:37 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,290,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
So how would anyone know how much to use, say in brownies. I don't want her to OD and get sick.
There are way to many responses for me to go through, but I wanted to make sure this concern was addressed. I know someone who recently started using medical mj, and what the doctor told him about edibles was to be very careful. She said that the only way people really overdose on marijuana is through the edibles. If she buys a brownie, she should just eat a slice - maybe an eighth of it.

Also, because the digestive system is involved, the effect will not be felt immediately. My friend's doctor recommended using sublingual drops or a vaporizor for faster relief, and taking an "edible" before bed so the drug will take effect sometime during the night and help with a good night's sleep. My friend also uses topical creams.

Look for high levels of CBD and low levels of THC. THC is what makes you high. CBD is the pain-reliever. It should not cause someone to become impaired, and so shouldn't cause any problem when driving. I suppose it would still show up on a drug test, though, so the key is not to give an officer reason to think a test should be done. It may be a risk she wants to take.

Also, my friend has learned that some dispensaries are better than others at helping patients who truly want mj for medical purposes. The first one he went to didn't even have anything low in THC, and had very few products that had been tested. The second was better; the third has been the best.

I'm sure it is different in different states, but here, the doctor did a pretty good job of answering my friend's questions and explaining everything to him.

I have another friend who cannot use medical mj because it causes him problems with addiction because of drug abuse in his past. It's not the answer for everyone.

Old 03-23-2014, 04:41 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,290,344 times
Quote:

Certain strains of mj are grown because they are high (or low) in THC (or CBD). It isn't that one part is being removed - it's that its "natural state" is determined by what variety it is.

Old 03-23-2014, 04:55 PM

2,203 posts, read 5,084,054 times
Ways to Consume Medical Marijuana

Old 03-24-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
Certain strains of mj are grown because they are high (or low) in THC (or CBD). It isn't that one part is being removed - it's that its "natural state" is determined by what variety it is.
What you are talking about is different than what I am talking about. I am talking about pharmaceutical companies coming up with a pill-form containing just one chemical fractionated out of the marijuana plant.

Like this:

10 Pharmaceutical Drugs Based on Cannabis - Medical Marijuana - ProCon.org

One part IS being removed, and repackaged into a pill form - or worse yet, a chemically similar substance is being synthesized.

I'm good with research into the uses of marijuana for medical purposes, and even development of these kinds of one-hit wonders (no pun intended) - but I'm AGAINST forcing people to turn to pharmaceutical companies for these and denying them access to the whole plant.

There are just too many things these pills don't address, nor have we nearly enough empirical data about long-term effects or side-effects, appropriate dosages, etc. This is different than what you can get from vaporizing the bud from the whole plant; the doses are much higher which could, in some circumstances, be a good thing - but it could be a bad thing as well.

In addition there is the cost involved. MMJ patients are usually allowed to grow their own - much much cheaper than shelling out the bucks to buy the stuff via prescription.

Marinol, for example, would cost over $8,000 for a year's supply at an "average" dose.

The equivalent dosage in purchased MMJ in the state of Colorado would be about $1500. If you grow your own it would be significantly less than that. Based on $120/oz - I used that because it was a simple calculation from the "cost" they assigned in the study of $60 per 1/8th oz - a ridiculously high price that is not achievable in any MMJ dispensary I've ever seen. In CO, the cost varies between $120/oz to about $160/oz - higher prices are pretty atypical in CO.

In all this "research" and development of pills with little bits of specific marijuana components in them, the emphasis in certain quarters has been on how wonderful it is that no THC is involved. The problem with that being that THC itself IS an important factor in the therapeutic effects of marijuana, particularly as relates to pain relief and muscle spasms.

Florida, AS WE SPEAK, has 2 laws in process for legalization of medical marijuana - one to set up a system of dispensaries for the natural plant, but the other regulates a very low level of THC, as a stop-gap measure to avoid legalization of medical marijuana. This ploy will ultimately fail, but in the meantime they are slowing down access to legal medical marijuana for the very people they claim to represent by at least 5 to 10 years.

It's a bluenose law. Its like saying alcohol is legal - but limiting it to 10 proof. Bring on the cough syrup!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement