Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you ever use Facebook or similar websites?
Yes 94 60.65%
No 61 39.35%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 01:44 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,617,918 times

Advertisements

I see no value in them either for business or personal use. They are apparently ultratrendy for people between the ages of ten and thirty as well as for middle aged people trying to be young. I'm curious to know if there are any in the geriatric subforum who are involved in this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 01:48 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,987,203 times
The only one I'd take on is LinkedIn, generally for business/professional networking.

Old 01-18-2014, 02:00 PM

2,690 posts, read 4,223,861 times
I have no use for Facebook, etc., and I find it annoying to be nagged by my devices to "share" everything, from what I bought on Amazon, to what video I watched on Hulu , to the picture I just took of my cat. Who the hell cares?

Old 01-18-2014, 02:09 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,553,968 times
I use it to stay in touch with my daughter and gdaughter and other friends that live in other states. It has nothing to do with "trying to stay young". I was able to connect with a friend that I hadn't seen in 40 years and love catching up with her. She had moved across the country and we had lost touch. To each his own. If you find it something you don't like - just don't use it. I have never been "nagged" by Facebook lol

Old 01-18-2014, 02:16 PM

698 posts, read 1,052,530 times
i am on facebook, which i guess surprises me a little. it's not usually the kind of thing i do. a friend i reconnected with from high school was on, and i let her convince me of its merits. however, i use it very little, and never use it to communicate with anyone. i don't have any feelings about it one way or another. i don't understand its great appeal, but i think the appeal is for a younger group. i'm also on linkedin which i use occasionally for professional purposes.
i do find some of the photos i receive on facebook, especialy from former high school friends, to be interesting. but i feel certain i could survive well without this kind of connection or information.

catsy girl

Old 01-18-2014, 02:26 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,387,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
I use it to stay in touch with my daughter and gdaughter and other friends that live in other states. It has nothing to do with "trying to stay young". I was able to connect with a friend that I hadn't seen in 40 years and love catching up with her. She had moved across the country and we had lost touch. To each his own. If you find it something you don't like - just don't use it. I have never been "nagged" by Facebook lol
Agree. I've reconnected with former high school and college friends on FB. Much of it is just silly postings but they also post about their grandchildren, vacations, weather, etc. which I enjoy. It allows me to keep in touch with my brothers and sisters and their children who live a thousand or more miles away. FB brings us closer and allows me to be "part" of their daily life and get to know the younger generation better. We have a page with close to 3000 members on "Memories of Growing Up in X (my old hometown)." It's nice to reminisce about the old days and stories of growing up in a small town. The other day I saw an article that FB is becoming less popular with the younger set but more popular with older people.

Old 01-18-2014, 02:41 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,545,548 times
Facebook is extremely useful for staying in touch with my relatives of all ages. I also use it to keep up with businesses I frequent, like supermarkets and restaurants, because they regularly post discounts just for their Facebook "followers".
edit to add: Last year I won a pair of tickets to Val Kilmer's "Citizen Twain" stage show, a $110 value, on Facebook. All the local arts organizations frequently run Facebook contests and promotions.

According to a Pew Report 45% of internet users age 65+ use Facebook, as do 60% of internet users age 50-64.

Last edited by biscuitmom; 01-18-2014 at 02:54 PM..

Old 01-18-2014, 02:45 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,936,273 times
I love FB. I find the info informative and inspirational. It has enriched my life, enormously, and expanded my awareness.

Old 01-18-2014, 02:56 PM

971 posts, read 1,455,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Facebook is extremely useful for staying in touch with my relatives of all ages. I also use it to keep up with businesses I frequent, like supermarkets and restaurants, because they frequently post discounts just for their Facebook "followers".

According to a Pew Report 45% of internet users age 65+ use Facebook, as do 60% of internet users age 50-64.
Most of us over 75 year old Facebook users were dragged there kicking and screaming by relatives, friends and co-workers. IMHO

Last edited by Bluff_Dweller; 01-18-2014 at 02:58 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-18-2014, 02:57 PM

4,042 posts, read 2,911,503 times
I'm a senior and I'm on Facebook. Love it for keeping up with overseas friends and family. It's not an intrusion on my life in any way at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement