Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 09:46 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,248,397 times

Advertisements

I'm the world's worst eater. I know I need to change this and just improve on everything, otherwise, years down the road, I could have problems.

However, I need some success stories from those who have improved!

My two children are both in great physical shape and they want that for me as well. I do want to show them a different "me" in 2014 so let me know what worked for you.

Certain foods have been a comfort zone for me; it's not like I eat a box of ice cream but I need ideas on how to get away from that in a good way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 11:04 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times
This is a good idea for discussion. I'm not the best at eating either. I do eat my oatmeal for breakfast usually and one of us will cook a pretty good dinner but for lunch I was always at work. I always relied on a cafeteria.

Lately I've been at least trying to cut up an avocado, slice a banana, and add some canned mandarin oranges for a little lunch. Or I'll make a smoothie with rice milk and some fruit but I know it should contain a vegetable too. By late afternoon I'm starving so I know that's not enough.

I've never been much of a sandwich person and I don't want to eat those store bought luncheon meats with all the junk in them--preservatives or whatever they have.

So I'm not much help--I need help myself for lunch ideas.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:38 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
high protein and low fat is good for diets, i eat alot of meats the leaner steaks,,,top round eye round, top butt sirloin,,,lean pork chops and bnls chicken breasts and chicken tenders..

portion this out.. also all this with veggies for stir fry is also good,,this will make you feel full

drink lots of water.. and as many veggies as you can handle,, and fruit is good although it too can contain lots of sugars..

and exercise ,,, you have to exercise even if you just start with ten jumping jacks and go from there..

just cutting out sugars and junk food - you will lose weight

Old 03-10-2014, 04:56 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,483,893 times
We are a couple in our 60s and a mom in her 80s. This year I had a great scare about my knees and mobility and it was so difficult to do stairs and pick things up. My weight was affecting my travel and life in general.

So 8 months ago I started Weight Watchers and decided to do more exercise. Joined a gym with a great set of classes for "older" participants. Husband did all this with me and mom decided to eat better and walk more.

Now husband and I have lost around 40 pounds, I have no issues with stairs or picking things up. In fact, I can squat and almost do handstands. I have another 25 pounds or so to lose and husband wants to still lose 20 but it is not critical what we weight just how we feel and move.

1. Clean out the kitchen and pantry. Get rid of flour and sugar so baking is not a temptation. Fill with good non processed food. I have a selection of carefully chosen treats that are portioned out like fruit and nut bars, FiberOne lemon bars, and a few bags of whole grain chips.
2. Write everything you eat down until you have ingrained habits.
3. Only eat when you are hungry.
4. Whole grains.
5. Exercise even if only walking for 10 minutes 3 times a day to start.
6. Stay only on the outside edge of the grocery store. No going down the aisles to be tempted unless you have a list and get items on the list.
7. My breakfast is 0fat yoghurt with 1/2 cup of fruit and 1/4 cup or so of homemade granola (low sugar and fat). Really stokes me for the whole morning.
8. Salads with interesting toppings and limited dressing. I use a balsamic creme from Whole Foods or a yoghurt ranch dressing. We spike the salads with berries, little bit of protein and use baby spinach for more nutrition.
9. You are allowed to eat out just make better choices.

Old 03-10-2014, 05:50 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,053,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
high protein and low fat is good for diets, i eat alot of meats the leaner steaks,,,top round eye round, top butt sirloin,,,lean pork chops and bnls chicken breasts and chicken tenders..

portion this out.. also all this with veggies for stir fry is also good,,this will make you feel full

drink lots of water.. and as many veggies as you can handle,, and fruit is good although it too can contain lots of sugars..

and exercise ,,, you have to exercise even if you just start with ten jumping jacks and go from there..

just cutting out sugars and junk food - you will lose weight
New research is not so positive for high protein consumption under age 65. Can be dangerous in our 40's and 50's.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:49 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,978,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
New research is not so positive for high protein consumption under age 65. Can be dangerous in our 40's and 50's.
There is current evidence that high protein intake, particularly dairy and animal, contributes to the heart attack/stroke/artherosclerosis factor. Someone working hard, like in construction or athletics, needs more, those who are older and a bit more sedentary apparently, according to studies, should consume less.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:12 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,841,188 times
While probably not a healthy choice, we tend to eat out more often than not. However, the portions in most restaurants are such that we often split meals. We've also cut way back on in-between snacks and drinks and I 'force myself' to follow an exercise regimen in the mornings.

At our ages, the results we get by working hard at a diet or exercise don't seem to justify the effort or sacrifice. We're not obese or unhealthy, but, we are overweight and under-active. --- Just having a hard time getting motivated to do more.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:57 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,770,897 times
I do intermittent (modified) fasting 2 days a week.
I do not eat processed foods.
I eat meat and dairy and vegetables for most of my energy..some bread carbs and fruit when I'm in the mood.
Beer and wine and club soda..and coffee on a regular basis.
No diet or sugared drinks.
Sweets are not what I crave so i eat them rarely except for dark chocolate and ice cream now and then.
Actually lost weight without intending to and my cholesterol and BP went WAY down - don't need drugs now.
Feel terrific, eat anything and as much of what I want 5 days a week.
Excersize once or twice a week for 40 minutes.
No longer fear fat in any form - in foods or on me !
This is how i live and it suits me just dandy.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:50 PM

460 posts, read 988,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
........so let me know what worked for you.
For losing weight, the only thing that works for me is walking around hungry all day. In other words, it's simply a matter of calorie intake vs. calories burnt. And there is no way I can burn more calories than I can take in. I don't believe there is a magic diet for losing weight. I eat what I like, only less of it. And while I know some foods are "healthier" than others, I don't like fruits and vegetables, and never have. I'll take big cheeseburger, any day.

For the record, I'm male, 56 (57 next month), 5'9", 165 pounds. I've been an athlete, and have been working out pretty much my entire life. I've never been excessively overweight, but I have been close to 180, a couple of times.

Retirement has been great for my fitness, because it has given me the time to get back into a regular workout routine.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:47 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times
It's not always about losing weight. I could stand to lose a bit after being sedentary this entire winter but my husband always needs to gain weight. He is kind of a hyper type person and goes walking for miles with the dog. I buy Ensure Plus to help him gain weight but I don't want to cook fattening foods because who ends up eating them? Me.

We eat out about once a week and split the dessert because the portions are so huge. Last time it was a huge piece of chocolate layer cake--he ate half the cake, all the ice cream and both mountains of whipped cream. Didn't gain a pound, never does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement