Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 06:37 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,720,422 times

Advertisements

I guess different supermarkets work differently, because our self-checkout is insanely faster and more convenient than dealing with the cashier. We scan each item as we put it into our shopping bags, taking about a quarter second longer than just putting it into the cart. Then we pull up to the registers, scan the register, slide through our credit card, and leave the store. We're through the registers in less than a minute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 07:13 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,407,386 times
The great thing about technology is that it has convinced young people that the 35-40 hr work week is only for those old farts. With this fantastic technology we now have and is being embraced but the much smarter than us younger generation the normal work week is now 60+ hrs. Gosh these young people are really smart.

Nothing wrong with technology but employers today are taking advantage of employees by them owning the same time saving devices that were once only owned by employers.
So all you young know it all techno geeks are being duped into being 24/7 employees that us old farts would never put up with.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:20 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,720,422 times
BYOD is definitely a dangerous thing to subscribe into. Anyone who gives their employer use of their personal telephone/cellphone or email accounts had better fully understand what they're giving up, and had better assure that they're getting enough for it - not just the money to pay the bill, but extra compensation or opportunity to account for the fact that (for example) when you quit your employer has the legal right to discover your personal stuff.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:28 AM

5,333 posts, read 6,032,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
The great thing about technology is that it has convinced young people that the 35-40 hr work week is only for those old farts. With this fantastic technology we now have and is being embraced but the much smarter than us younger generation the normal work week is now 60+ hrs. Gosh these young people are really smart.

Nothing wrong with technology but employers today are taking advantage of employees by them owning the same time saving devices that were once only owned by employers.
So all you young know it all techno geeks are being duped into being 24/7 employees that us old farts would never put up with.

That may be true for folks who did not grow up with technology but not necessarily for those who did. My kids and their friends (early to mid 30's) just ignore employer emails and phone calls transmitted during off hours.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:35 AM

698 posts, read 1,052,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Why do I begin to get the idea that some here think there's something wrong with those who don't embrace every new technological "advance" because it's become over-loaded in their estimation, has greatly depersonalized human and social interaction, costs loads to stay on the "leading edge" and much of it can be done without while not diminishing their quality and enjoyment of life one whit? And that's just for starters.

Oh my goodness! I just described my wife and me. Our bad!

Never mind this rush to the future seems to have created a whole new social class of techno-snobs with accompanying underclass of those who can't or don't wish to keep up with the techno-Jones'.

thanks, curmudgeon-well said. and bUU, i'm not taking your bait.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:16 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,407,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
That may be true for folks who did not grow up with technology but not necessarily for those who did. My kids and their friends (early to mid 30's) just ignore employer emails and phone calls transmitted during off hours.
Ignore you employer's e-mails and off hrs phone calls and consider you opportunity for advancement nil.

Both our kids are into 24/7 employment and as much as I disagree with their choice of work schedules both are in upper management/high pay positions. Not the way I would choose but it's their life not mine.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:34 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,606,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
... older consumers no longer have the ability to slide into changes at their own pace ...
... and never really did. They have always had to make the choice to keep up with advances, or forgo them and deal with the consequences.

Maybe the difference is that older consumers live longer, and have to deal with a decade more of changes than the previous generations of older consumers.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:35 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,553,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Why do I begin to get the idea that some here think there's something wrong with those who don't embrace every new technological "advance" because it's become over-loaded in their estimation, has greatly depersonalized human and social interaction, costs loads to stay on the "leading edge" and much of it can be done without while not diminishing their quality and enjoyment of life one whit? And that's just for starters.

Oh my goodness! I just described my wife and me. Our bad!

Never mind this rush to the future seems to have created a whole new social class of techno-snobs with accompanying underclass of those who can't or don't wish to keep up with the techno-Jones'.
You said it all!

If it isn't improving your quality of life -- making communication EASIER -- and it is stressing folks out -- then it isn't a good thing.

I have to keep up with this stuff b/c of my work. I dream of being able to let it all slide and spend more time in my studio but I am not at the place where I can replace the revenue flow yet. So I sometimes struggle with staying abreast of the "latest and greatest."

I think some folks are intimidated by things they don't know how to "use" - and in those cases, having someone show them how to use the product may open a door that does make like more enjoyable or fun or easier. But if it doesn't work that way, there is no virtue in purchasing an iPhone, for ex, just to be able to say you have one, lol. I am disgusted with how much these electronics are costing me monthly!!!!

If folks want to disparage or categorize others based on how many gadgets they have . . . oh well. There is also a movement out there to simplify life and extract one's self from "the grid." So it ism't just seniors who are dubious about the usefulness of all the latest gardgets. There are real reasons for not wanting to be so "hooked up," including data mining.

Love paying my bills online but when my net connection is spotty/off . . . or when my provider is down . . . or when some hacker has screwed up millions of accounts . . . I start wondering how safe all these transmissions are . . . and remember when I used to take CASH in to pay my phone and electric bill every month, lololol.

I also think it is wrong to shame people who haven't jumped on the bandwagon with what's hot on the market at the moment.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:36 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,606,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I don't agree with the premise though. I think we make decisions not to embrace the changes rather than not having the ability. These changes we're talking about are deliberately designed for the non-technical. The vast majority of them are well within the capability of anyone who can fill out a paper 1040 EZ form....
That's interesting! I'm the third (maybe more) technical person on this discussion who's growing weary of the constant churn of 'improvements'. Maybe it's our being technical that makes it harder for us to cope?

Old 03-18-2014, 09:38 AM

31,687 posts, read 41,080,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Ignore you employer's e-mails and off hrs phone calls and consider you opportunity for advancement nil.

Both our kids are into 24/7 employment and as much as I disagree with their choice of work schedules both are in upper management/high pay positions. Not the way I would choose but it's their life not mine.
Bada Bing! Funny thing is that when I worked I would wake up at Three in the morning and shoot out emails that I never expected those I supervised to respond to until later in the day. Most importantly I would answer emails that I had received. What amazed me was the number of people responding in the wee hours and the resulting conversations. My one son gets emails at home and responds to them and his career has benefited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement