Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2014, 10:46 AM

15,098 posts, read 12,284,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Interesting to read this thread. Retired and living in a small rural community where things are very different. Several restaurants don't take credit or debit cards, they take cash or your personal check. I've never paid by check but have seen others do so and they don't even ask for any ID because they know the customers.
And gee, you might be able to pay a bill, or perhaps in one of the stores there, pay for a purchase when the power goes out in the middle of a storm there. Not shut down entirely because they can't do anything because the electric is out......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 10:47 AM

15,098 posts, read 12,284,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
R-E-T-I-R-E-M-E-N-T forum. Maybe you thought you were in the Middle School Forum?

LOL, did make you wonder why the OP was up that late on a school night, eh?

Old 03-18-2014, 11:53 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,478,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
But I just finished reading a book titled "One Second After" author WILLIAM R. FORSTCHEN, which was about life in a small community and surrounding areas after an electromagnetic pulse (EMP) destroys all technology in the US, essentially putting them back into the Stone Age.
Forstchen's attempt at end-of-the-world-type science fiction.
Eh. I've read better

Old 03-18-2014, 12:59 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,081,283 times
Quote:
And gee, you might be able to pay a bill, or perhaps in one of the stores there, pay for a purchase when the power goes out in the middle of a storm there. Not shut down entirely because they can't do anything because the electric is out......
There are advantages to both ;IMO. I think from major storms we see that smaller is quicker to service needed infrastructure repair .The storm that hit new York was pretty weak really and it took a long time because of the need to get businesses serving public up first. Many smaller areas hit by much worse storms did fine and more use to pitching in themselves which is a big advantage.Even trying to evacuate a major city has seen in Houston is like watching escaping New York movie I saw advertised;nearly impossible to any large extent.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:05 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,875,742 times
Quote:
I was in a big name big box store several years ago and there was a storm outside. It caused the lights to flicker for a few seconds and somehow caused the register in my lane to stop working. The item I wanted cost $4.00. I gave the cashier $10.00. She looked flustered for a few seconds, handed me the $10 AND the merchandise while saying "I don't know how to subtract." I tried to hand her the money and explained that she could also get the correct change by adding since she knows two of the numbers. She was totally lost. I left the merchandise there as I wasn't going to steal because the cashier couldn't count. It has boggled my mind all these years because I was REQUIRED to pass a written math test for my first cashiering position. How is it possible to even get a job involving money if one can't count?

I think it's great that technology has advanced to the point we can interact with people all over the world, but is it an advancement if our children are losing the ability (or never gaining it) to function when technology breaks down?

Old 03-18-2014, 01:25 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,081,283 times
Basically you expected the cashier to hold your money and ring up sale later. Electric registers take electricity and register was closed by electric failure. If box stores are not mom and pop; they require ringing up all sales. I get your point but that was bad example.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:34 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,875,742 times
No, of course not. I expected her to put the money in the drawer and count out my change. I used a cash register as a cashier and there was a plan in place for power outages. A piece of paper. The cashier couldn't count and there were no coins involved.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:07 PM

31,692 posts, read 41,138,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Just curious why you wanted a receipt. For tax purposes? Business expenses? Proof you paid the bill in case they took you to court? There seems to be a lot of people, who think like very old people on this section of C-D.
Just Google restaurant credit card fraud and read how it happens and how to help prevent.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:52 PM

20,548 posts, read 17,828,270 times
As someone who works in the technology industry. I don't think technology has moved very much the last few years. There's a lot of tinkering or streamlining of the process but nothing mind blowing new tech out.

iPads and smartphones aren't new, they been around since the 90s except they are made to thinner, faster, and easier to operate.

What I like to see is the faster adoption of self-driving cars. People who are older won't trust computers driving a car but I believe the opposite. I trust a computer over humans, this is already proven in video games or simulations that computer driven cars do a better job than humans staying in lanes perfectly.

Old 03-18-2014, 03:12 PM

31,692 posts, read 41,138,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
As someone who works in the technology industry. I don't think technology has moved very much the last few years. There's a lot of tinkering or streamlining of the process but nothing mind blowing new tech out.

iPads and smartphones aren't new, they been around since the 90s except they are made to thinner, faster, and easier to operate.

What I like to see is the faster adoption of self-driving cars. People who are older won't trust computers driving a car but I believe the opposite. I trust a computer over humans, this is already proven in video games or simulations that computer driven cars do a better job than humans staying in lanes perfectly.
My oldest son works in the staffing field in upper management. He has developed a niche/skill in the use of integrating technology to align recruitment/sales and customer service. He has been a member of related professional organizations dealing with social media in the business community and he is light years beyond what I can follow. He has and is doing real well and helping to grow business. I do know that the ability to communicate and the use of social media is changing how a lot of folks do business. Just how both of my sons and their wives are able to work at home and still be in full communication and do conferences etc amazes me in some ways. The oldest has shared with me that a lack of technology adaptation hampers many older job seekers. Even in how to look for a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement