U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-17-2014, 08:21 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
12,764 posts, read 7,824,529 times
Reputation: 13083

Advertisements

Hi, All.

I was wondering if anyone had used this calculator and how accurate it is. I'm assuming that whatever it tells me is going to be higher than the actual amount.

Also, another question. Does SS take into account months? I was planning to retire at 64, but I don't think I'll make it! Now the goal is 63.5 years old (I will be 63 in September).

Any insight will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-17-2014, 09:55 AM
 
Location: SoCal desert
8,093 posts, read 13,232,688 times
Reputation: 14870
Quote:
Also, another question. Does SS take into account months? I was planning to retire at 64, but I don't think I'll make it! Now the goal is 63.5 years old (I will be 63 in September).
Yes, it does.
From the SS website
(Just click on your year of birth and it will give you a month to month percentage of your FRA)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2014, 11:11 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
12,764 posts, read 7,824,529 times
Reputation: 13083
Thanks!

Did you ever use that calculator to estimate monthly benefits, and, if so, was it fairly accurate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2014, 11:25 AM
 
Location: SoCal desert
8,093 posts, read 13,232,688 times
Reputation: 14870
No, I've never used it.
I get my Social Security Statement online, figure that's close enough
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2014, 11:32 AM
 
Location: OH>IL>CO>CT
5,236 posts, read 8,402,791 times
Reputation: 7191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Thanks!

Did you ever use that calculator to estimate monthly benefits, and, if so, was it fairly accurate?
Over the last few years I used the on-line calc at Calculators: Online Calculator Last May I applied (on-line) for Retirement benefits at age 70, and when SS called to verify info, (and request 1 additional document (Veteran's DD214)), the amount they said I should expect to receive starting next month came within $40/month of what my latest estimate was. That is, 40 more, probably due to a Veteran's adjustment that the calc apparently does not take into account.

I could not use the other Calcs (or the Statement of Earnings) since I was receiving Survivor's benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2014, 11:38 AM
 
5,392 posts, read 6,535,307 times
Reputation: 10465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Yes, it does.
From the SS website
(Just click on your year of birth and it will give you a month to month percentage of your FRA)

Gandalara

Can you clarify a little where on the website gives you a month to month % of FRA? thanks

I went through the calculators on the web site and only find estimates based upon whole years. Expect I am clicking the wrong calculator.

I too will retire at 63.5 (turning 63 in August). If I can find the right calculator on the website, I can compare that to what the SS office gave me as what the amount would be for me. Then I can confirm to OP how close they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2014, 11:50 AM
 
Location: in the miseries
3,302 posts, read 3,579,794 times
Reputation: 3810
There is a calculator for months, just type it in on the website.
The calculator works within a reasonable amount.
Did it month by month pretty accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2014, 12:02 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
12,764 posts, read 7,824,529 times
Reputation: 13083
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
Gandalara

Can you clarify a little where on the website gives you a month to month % of FRA? thanks

I went through the calculators on the web site and only find estimates based upon whole years. Expect I am clicking the wrong calculator.

I too will retire at 63.5 (turning 63 in August). If I can find the right calculator on the website, I can compare that to what the SS office gave me as what the amount would be for me. Then I can confirm to OP how close they are.
After you click on Gandalara's link, scroll down a bit and you will see a chart with birth years in it. Click on your birth year (actually they have combined 1947-195? - I forget). After you click on the birth year, again scroll down a bit and the percentages will be in a table, month by month.

Since we are retiring at the same age, I can tell you that we will receive 83.3% of the full retirement benefit.
Better than I thought!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2014, 12:06 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
12,764 posts, read 7,824,529 times
Reputation: 13083
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Over the last few years I used the on-line calc at Calculators: Online Calculator Last May I applied (on-line) for Retirement benefits at age 70, and when SS called to verify info, (and request 1 additional document (Veteran's DD214)), the amount they said I should expect to receive starting next month came within $40/month of what my latest estimate was. That is, 40 more, probably due to a Veteran's adjustment that the calc apparently does not take into account.

I could not use the other Calcs (or the Statement of Earnings) since I was receiving Survivor's benefits.
Thanks, Reed303!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2014, 12:33 PM
 
Location: SoCal desert
8,093 posts, read 13,232,688 times
Reputation: 14870
Well, I typed a response and then noticed Fox Terrier got here first

If you also get your Social Security Statement online, the Statement gives you your FRA, so then you have a pretty good estimate of the dollar amount
ie ...
$1675 FRA @ 83.3% = $1395
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top