Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 03:04 AM

18,727 posts, read 33,396,751 times

Advertisements

To each his own, and so forth.
I have never liked being around children, and don't expect that to change as I get older. I enjoy being around people with active minds and honest self-reflection of any age. That doesn't keep me "young," it keeps me alert and interested, and always has, regardless of my age. (Never marrying or raising kids, I haven't really had "life stages," just working, entertaing myself, doing things I thought I wanted to do for work and/or personal time, and trying to find meaning all along. Nothing has changed with age except the mileage and knowledge. Oh, and the physical deterioration- for that, I cannot recommend aging.
I agree with the poster who suggest that we accept our age/stage in life, whatever it might be. And the advertisers are stupid- there's a whole lotta disposable income over age 49!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 08:55 AM

3,964 posts, read 10,633,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Real life tv programs I’d like to see:

Grandpa and his friends decide to do a crazy stunt to celebrate turning 80. They consider skydiving, skate boarding, bungee jumping, and singing hip hop at a wedding. Then they realize these are all dumb plot devices written by 20-year-old tv sitcom writers. They laugh, because none of these ideas would be fun at all. Instead, they do something they would actually enjoy, like go to a Rolling Stones concert.

Go see the Bucket List, with Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson. Sounds like you should have gotten a writing credit

Old 12-27-2007, 09:01 AM

857 posts, read 4,879,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
To each his own, and so forth.
I have never liked being around children, and don't expect that to change as I get older. I enjoy being around people with active minds and honest self-reflection of any age. That doesn't keep me "young," it keeps me alert and interested, and always has, regardless of my age. (Never marrying or raising kids, I haven't really had "life stages," just working, entertaing myself, doing things I thought I wanted to do for work and/or personal time, and trying to find meaning all along. Nothing has changed with age except the mileage and knowledge. Oh, and the physical deterioration- for that, I cannot recommend aging.
I agree with the poster who suggest that we accept our age/stage in life, whatever it might be. And the advertisers are stupid- there's a whole lotta disposable income over age 49!
Ditto. I find that most of the "young people" that I meet these days, whether they are children or in their thirties, are very uninteresting and lack social skills. We visited my husband's daughter (30s) at Christmas to bring presents for her children. I brought a cake. We were there for almost an hour... never an offer of a cup of coffee or a glass of water. Finally my husband suggested that she take the cake into the kitchen and cut into it because it is such a tasty cake. A minute later she comes out with a slice on a plate, sits down and eats it, and never offers anyone else a piece. It is so unfortunate, but I run into more self-absorbed parasitic young people than interesting and responsible ones. And, naturally, her offspring are just as bad because they have her as an example. They park themselves in front of a computer game and won't even bother to get up and come over to thank you for the gifts. My husband actually has very good manners, so I don't know how he wound up with something like her.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:25 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,262,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthmeetsSouth View Post
Ditto. I find that most of the "young people" that I meet these days, whether they are children or in their thirties, are very uninteresting and lack social skills. We visited my husband's daughter (30s) at Christmas to bring presents for her children. I brought a cake. We were there for almost an hour... never an offer of a cup of coffee or a glass of water. Finally my husband suggested that she take the cake into the kitchen and cut into it because it is such a tasty cake. A minute later she comes out with a slice on a plate, sits down and eats it, and never offers anyone else a piece. It is so unfortunate, but I run into more self-absorbed parasitic young people than interesting and responsible ones. And, naturally, her offspring are just as bad because they have her as an example. They park themselves in front of a computer game and won't even bother to get up and come over to thank you for the gifts. My husband actually has very good manners, so I don't know how he wound up with something like her.
I've also encountered young people like this. Obviously were never taught the most basic of manners. But I've also encountered some really great young people who are gracious, considerate and very nice. So all is not lost in the younger generation.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:10 AM

857 posts, read 4,879,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I've also encountered young people like this. Obviously were never taught the most basic of manners. But I've also encountered some really great young people who are gracious, considerate and very nice. So all is not lost in the younger generation.
I know that you are right. I guess I was just feeling rather pessimistic that day. (She has that effect on me). I should know better than to tar an entire generation with the same brush just because of one really bad example.

My late son was one of those gracious, considerate, nice people that you spoke of. Not only was he, but many of his squadron members who have come to visit me recently are as well. It was gratifying to meet these young people who have so many positive qualities. And it is short-sighted of me to forget about all of them and only remember this one self-centered prima donna.
Next year maybe I will let hubby deliver the presents on his own, and I will go serve Christmas dinner at an Air Force base to deserving young people with good manners and a sense of responsibility to something other than themselves.

Old 12-30-2007, 01:17 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,262,871 times
Sounds like a good way to deal with something out of your control and that is a source of irritation. I'm sorry for your loss. That is the big tragedy of war - seems like the best are the ones cut down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement