Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 10:51 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,433,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
For some it is about deferred happiness in exchange for money and happiness down the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
I rather be a bored accountant than a not know where my paycheck came from!
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
#1- save every penny and retire ASAP in order to pursue the things that make me happy.
I was the bored accountant.
Now I'm happy with my 3-legged money stool and retired.
Show me the money!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 11:41 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
I'm taking both... I have that miserable job -- do you think I like being a janitor? But the money gives me great freedom to do things when I am NOT being a janitor. (granted -- most janitors don't have a lot of money, but when you own the company...)

See that's thing. While we love to post either/or questions, life isn't either/or.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:46 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikester View Post
Assuming you couldn't have both, would you rather be:

(1) Well off, on track to retire early, hate your career choice (aka, "bored accountant")
(2) Poor, don't know where your paychecks are going to come from, love what you do (aka, "starving musician")
Some people LOVE accounting.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:51 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikester View Post
Assuming you couldn't have both, would you rather be:

(1) Well off, on track to retire early, hate your career choice (aka, "bored accountant")
(2) Poor, don't know where your paychecks are going to come from, love what you do (aka, "starving musician")
There is absolutely no way anyone can give an honest answer to this. Obviously no one wants to be so poor they have to worry where they're next check is coming from, but having plenty of money isn't the only thing that matters. If I had to choose between being wealthy and not happy or struggling a little, I would retire and struggle, but that isn't the same as being truly poor.

Old 09-03-2014, 02:03 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
I'd rather be wealthy, then I could afford those little blue pills and be really happy.
+1. Many people say they would rather be poor and happy, however, it's extremely difficult to function in life without money. That worry is always at the back of your mind. "How am I going to pay this next bill? I have to put off the light company this month/gas company/car payment, etc. How can I afford to get the car fixed?" It's so stressful to be poor; it's terrible. I have lived most of my life in that situation. Now that I am middle middle class, I am so grateful to be able to pay the bills on time, and have a small nest egg in the event of an emergency. It's unfortunate money is so important in society that one often has to choose between happiness and prosperity. This dilemma leads to materialism being a widespread trait, which is really sad, IMO.

Old 09-03-2014, 02:18 PM

820 posts, read 1,209,220 times
Wealth, the people who claim to be poor, and happy do so by living off other people.

Old 09-03-2014, 06:02 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,035,241 times
Poor and happy, #2. I could die before i reach retirement, and that would be a real shame to have spend your life miserably. We have no guarantee of a tomorrow.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:10 PM

13,654 posts, read 9,711,429 times
My answer to this question is simultaneously neither, and both.

We can quantify money, but we can't quantify happiness. I can be happy one day, and miserable the next. Unless I do something truly stupid in the stock market, I won't be wealthy one day, and destitute the next. Wealth is more stable and more objective, and therefore from a long-term perspective, it's better to choose wealth.

I'm fortunate to be doing what I love, to have chosen my career reasonably wisely, and to be paid reasonably well. I'm in good health, owe nothing to anyone, and am in principle on track for early retirement… but I am NOT happy, because I'm alone, and in particular am in desperate (but utterly fruitless and stymied) search for a romantic partner.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:14 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,468,049 times
I think the term "poor" doesn't exist anymore these days with the gov giving so many people a free "living"/ride these days, no strings attached!

Old 09-04-2014, 12:00 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,385,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
but I am NOT happy, because I'm alone, and in particular am in desperate (but utterly fruitless and stymied) search for a romantic partner.
Maybe I've missed this discussion in other threads, but... desperate? I mean, missing company and seeming unable to find it is not a recipe for happiness, but to be desperate... What is it you are desperate for, and do you think you could make a good match from a sense of desperation?

I ask because I have always hoped for good company, have not had much good fortune that way, and I'd like it to be different. But I hope I am not feeling desperate. Maybe resigned. Maybe it's just semantics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement