Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 08:48 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times

Advertisements

Oh boy, I know alot about adrenal fatigue!

So I will say...get Nutri-West's 'Core Level Adrenal'.
Or if more available to you Standard Process' 'Drenamin'.
Helps to repair and rebuild them.

(I took at least 2-4 for awhile...not just one And let the tablets dissolve in your mouth.)

I also found CoQ10 and Alpha lipoic acid to be surprisingly effective!

You will prob feel a difference within less than a week.

First sign may be you don't need sunglasses anymore!
You know no sugar or caffeine or alcohol, I'm sure.

(I have only glanced over your op...in case someone already brought these up.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 10:15 AM

16,394 posts, read 30,292,455 times
Hanging around 22 year old people do the trick for me.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:36 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,977,255 times
I know it's widely fashionable these days to be "gluten-free," but having had rather poor digestion all my life, even on a wholesome diet, I looked into it a few years ago.

After quite a bit or reading I decided to get tested for allergies and high on the list is wheat (which contains gluten*). Wheat always lowered my energy and slowed my digestion but I didn't know why. I am also "gluten-sensitive," the test said, not to be confused with full-blown celiac disease (many of us are gluten sensitive but do not really have celiac disease). Having been gluten-free in my diet now for over 8 mos, I feel when I do have something with it (like bread) I'm really low energy for the next few days (digestion got zapped due to the gluten).

* Gluten is a protein that is much higher in modern wheat. (White flour being the worst of course, but even whole wheat products). Bob's Redmill carries gluten-free oats. One of the best explanations as to what gluten containing foods do to our digestion and our energy is in the book Wheat Belly by Dr. Wm Davis. I don't buy his "all grains are bad" theory, but what he says about wheat and gluten is supported by other research.

My gluten-free grains (and their flours) now are millet, polenta, brown rice, and quinoa. I make a fabulous cornbread with polenta and rice flour. Good to know: gluten is added to many foods, even ice cream, not just grains and flour products. Reading labels is a must.

I can honestly say my energy level and digestion is best when I completely avoid not only wheat but all gluten.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:39 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,765,752 times
Get lots of sleep and start exercising on a regular basis. Do just enough of a workout to make you feel good, no more than that. In time you will need more and more exercise to get you that effect. Which means you are building both energy and stamina.

Old 09-20-2014, 06:37 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I've always associated both with relief of symptoms. Does either/both boost good health in general? Anyone?
Yes, both can help with releasing tension and if you are into chakras, the energy flow that is being blocked can be restored so that the body functions better. The obvious benefit is definitely pain relief (especially helfpul if one has chronic pain) but by unblocking the energy flow, overall better functioning of the whole body can be enhanced.

From Dr. Weil:

Acupuncture - Dr. Weil's Wellness Therapies

Because the goal of acupuncture is to promote and restore the balance of energy, which flows throughout the body, it can be used for a wide variety of conditions, from emotional disorders (anxiety, depression) to digestive complaints (nausea, vomiting, irritable bowel syndrome). It can be beneficial for pain syndromes due to an injury or associated with chronic degenerative diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis. It can also be helpful in treating neurological problems like migraines or Parkinson's disease, or as a rehabilitation strategy for individuals who suffered a stroke. Respiratory conditions, including sinusitis and asthma have been relieved with acupuncture, as have many gynecologic disorders and infertility. Acupuncture has also proved beneficial for reducing fatigue and addictions, and for promoting overall well-being.

Old 09-20-2014, 06:43 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,977,255 times
I've somewhat crashed this morning (at 8:30 still in bed) after too much activity (for me) yesterday. Long walk in the morning, physical chores in the house (the advent of fall brings out the cleaner/organizer in me), late night out. Sometimes when I get overly active during the day it's hard to go right to sleep at bedtime, my mind is overstimulated. Then getting up early sends me into a several day spin of low energy. Old people in older cultures tend to take it easy or at least pace themselves. Boomers seem to want to do everything we did in our 40s. Some can.

Old 09-20-2014, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Is she any particular breed? If we get a dog, I for sure want a low-energy one and I don't really care for basset hounds.
Figure my best bet would be to get an older mixed breed at the local shelter; every now and then they have one they describe as "laid back". That's my kind of pet!
Low energy breeds are what I prefer, too. I don't want a dog that expects regular sessions with a frisbee or by nature wants to chase rabbits, lol.

I work with a rescue group and there are so many sad situations where the owner has been moved to a new living situation and can't take a dog (or the owner has died). These sweet dogs are often dumped because family either isn't able to take the dog or just doesn't want the responsibility. Work with a rescue group who has fostered a dog and knows his/her personality. Adopting a senior dog is a really good thing to do.

Old 09-20-2014, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Yes, indeed.

I take naps. I feel refreshed afterwards and can often stay up all night to read. I am taking my dog for rambles; I think it's good for both of us to leave the house. I probably walk a couple of miles with her every day.

I don't like physical work or contrived exercise; I refuse to deprive myself of gustatory pleasures. I'm a person who lives to eat, not one who eats to live.

I do use fair quantities of cooked tomato, particularly tomato juice; I also love fish. However, I consume them because I like them.
You have good lifestyle habits. I would say that enjoying what you do is the whole point . . . if our routines and food selections are no longer pleasurable but just "what we do to stay healthy," then that isn't much of a quality of life.

Old 09-20-2014, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelotus View Post
How do you ingest the coconut oil? Do you use it for cooking or take a teaspoon.....or what?
I put 2 teaspoons in my first cup of coffee. I also use coconut oil to cook my eggs, when I do that method. I like poaching my eggs.

The days of demonizing oils is over. Using olive oil, grapeseed oil, coconut oil and flax seed oil is a good thing. I just spend several months this last year reading up on all that.

And since we are talking about oils, here is something I am researching: The Budwig protocol for cancer treatment, and it uses flax seed oil.

Budwig Diet Center - Natural Alternative Treatment For Degenerative Diseases And Tumor Activity

Now, I am not saying all cancer can be cured through nutrition. But for MYSELF, I found this very interesting simply because I love cottage cheese and think the research on how various substances affect us at a CELLULAR level is worth studying.

The cottage cheese with flax seed mixture is something I have started using as a base for such things as crab dip. Since I like it and do think the flax seed is helpful at a biologic level in the body, why not?

Old 09-20-2014, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelotus View Post
Can you tell me what do you consider to be low blood pressure? Mine is sometimes as low as 90/60 and so I wonder if that is the reason for my decreasing stamina. What are electrolyte tablets?

Ani, I hope you don't mind my asking questions on your thread. .....I am experiencing decreasing energy too.....this thread is very informative.
I am so glad you are finding this a fun thread! It is wonderful to share with one another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement